Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GhostDog's PST UI mod v2.2 - UNEXPECTEDLY UPDATED 3.11.2021

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The warnings are to be expected no problem there, as for the assertion... it's strange...I'll look into it.

But for starters try the new version I'm currently making, there are many fixes and changes here: I'm stiil working on it , bit it's almost finished:
Link

You should first uninstall the old version and then install the new one.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Can you try running the game with only the bigg's widescreen mod installed(if you haven't already)? I came across that problem when i tried to run on a resolution wich was not supported by my monitor. If the widescreen mod on it's own runs fine, something stinks with this mod, if the screen doesn't look right without it, check your monitor/videocard.

As for the warning, that has nothing to do with what i'm doing with the file. Even if i only decompile then recompile the file without changes, it results in the same error.
But if you want to make sure just comment out(put // before the line) these lines from PST-Widescreen-UI/TPH/Storefix.tph, before installing the mod
~dhargri.dlg~ ~override~
~dmebbeth.dlg~ ~override~
~dquint.dlg~ ~override~
~dsplint.dlg~ ~override~

nickwest

Novice
Also as another data point I was able to install the 1024x768 mod and it works just fine.

Cheers

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
If the 1280x768 works for you nickwest, then it was probably your monitor properties, as taplonaplo said. 1280x800 might not be supported by your monitor. Ayway it's good you got it working.

As for the mod update I'll soon release the new version.

nickwest

Novice
Thanks for the help guys, I got it to work!! As you said it was because my monitor doesn't "normally" supprot 1280x800 (Even though my native res is 1920x1200 so the aspect ratio is the same and it *should* work)

For others who need to fix this, here's what you do:

How I could tell my res was non-standard, when I got to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Display in the "Settings" tab theres a slider with screen resolution. When I change that slider around there isn't a 1280x800 displayed as an option (this is your problem).

Because I have an NVidia card/driver the fix is this:
1. Click the advanced button on the settings tab you're in
2. In the advanced menu, find the otpion on one of the tabs of "Start the NVIDIA Control Panel" and click it
3. In the Advanced Settings, go to "Manage Custom Resolutions" or something like that depending on your driver version.
4. There should be a checkbox along the lines of "Allow modes not exposed by the display" and check this box.
5. Now go back to your display settings resolution slider, 1280x800 should now be an option and this mod should work!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So it was actually a monitor and a video card driver issue, thanks for the info, I'll mention this in the readme.

nickwest

Novice
Yeah, if you would modify the readme to mention the above monitor issue and also if you could reiterate that to install "the Bigg's" Widescreen Mod you first have to do a "full install", as that nugget of info is sort of burried in Bigg's readme (since it's not just written for PST), where as your mod is PST centric and that sort of info is more applicable.

Also, one more question, in regards to installing mods (fix pack, UB et. al.) Should I install the widescreen stuff before or after installing other mods?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The readme will be updated and the full install requirement will be noted. :)

As for installing the various mods, it's as taplonaplo said.

nickwest

Novice
As for the mods I installed them after all the widescreen stuff, and it all seems to work fine. I did notice a few issues in the .9 I'm using:

1. loot dropped on the ground has a black background instead of transparent
2. Sometimes my graphics get painfully slow, mostly when spell effects are involved. But that could just be my graphics card (8800GTS) as I haven't played the game without any of the mods.

And another very important thing to add to your installing readme ghostdog. I realized not only did I have to select "Allow modes not exposed by the display" in the Nvidia control panel to get widescreen to work. I had to also create 1280x800 as a custom resolution. So the full steps to get this working on my machine now are:

1. Click the advanced button on the settings tab you're in
2. In the advanced menu, find the otpion on one of the tabs of "Start the NVIDIA Control Panel" and click it
3. In the Advanced Settings, go to "Manage Custom Resolutions" or something like that depending on your driver version.
4. There should be a checkbox along the lines of "Allow modes not exposed by the display" and check this box.
5. Also on this UI page you should be able to create "custom resolutions", click "create" and change your "Horizontal desktop pixels" to 1280 and your "Vertical desktop lines" to 800, then click "Test". If everything looks OK after accept the changes.
6. Now go back to your display settings resolution slider, 1280x800 should now be an option and this mod should work!

taplonaplo

Scholar
nickwest said:
As for the mods I installed them after all the widescreen stuff, and it all seems to work fine. I did notice a few issues in the .9 I'm using:

1. loot dropped on the ground has a black background instead of transparent
2. Sometimes my graphics get painfully slow, mostly when spell effects are involved. But that could just be my graphics card (8800GTS) as I haven't played the game without any of the mods.
1. Nvidia issue
2. it's a widescreen mod related issue
you may find some solutions here. http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showforum=136
and an nvdia related thread: http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=30840

nickwest

Novice
Thanks for the links taplonaplo, I was able to clear up my graphical issues with transparency and spell rendering lag by lowering my hardware acceleration to the third notch from the left. Thanks again guys!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
A new version of the mod has been released.

I've added support for 1280x768 (hence I've changed the name) and the mod's size has been reduced dramatically. Some other fixes and additions have been made, check the first post for details.

SRS

Novice
Amazing work guys!

You just made one of my ALL TIME Favorite games even Better.

Truly Appreciated.

Thank You ghostdog and taplonaplo.

/ghostdog ygpm pal.

Deleted member 7219

ghostdog, you fucking beauty.

My monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050, and playing Planescape Torment at that res was quite frankly painful on the eyes. Everything was tiny, and the menus were up in the top left corner. Wasn't very nice to play through.

Then I happened across this thread and thought I'd try it out. On my first attempt, I couldn't get it working. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but bits of your UI weren't showing, either the bottom most part wasn't, or the right most part wasn't.

Then I decided to keep my desktop res at 1680x1050 and keep my game res at 1280x800. Somehow, it worked properly when I next loaded up the game. I had to use the auto-adjust on my monitor about 3 times for the UI to place properly, and then it was great. So I don't know what the problem was, or how I fixed it, but it is fixed now.

Kudos on this UI, it really is done very well and my eyes thank you for it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
ghostdog, may I suggest you to blur menus' backgrounds more just to add some cool depth-of-field effect and also make menus to stand out better. Just for more eye-candy.

Hory

Erudite
ghostdog said:
Lestat said:
Will 1280x1024 get any love?
If I ever manage to add the 1280x720 as I have planned, we'll see...
x720? The three most used browser resolutions are 1024x768, 1280x1024 and 1280x800.

bat_boro

Arcane
Is there such a mod for Fallout as well, guys?
I'm planning on playing the first one on my widescreen 1440x900 monitor

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
ghostdog said:
I'm glad you like it. I wondering if anybody has a non-english game version. In fact was Torment officialy published in another language? The way wikipedia makes it look, is that it was only published in english and only some fanmade translations exist.

I have the excellent official Polish version. The translation is in itself a small work of genius.

Thanks for giving my favorite game so much love!

To some Codex admin: Ghostdog and Taplonaplo should get a custom tag, like Drog did for his Arcanum patch :D Also, maybe sticky this?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Matt7895 said:
ghostdog, you fucking beauty.

My monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050, and playing Planescape Torment at that res was quite frankly painful on the eyes. Everything was tiny, and the menus were up in the top left corner. Wasn't very nice to play through.

Then I happened across this thread and thought I'd try it out. On my first attempt, I couldn't get it working. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but bits of your UI weren't showing, either the bottom most part wasn't, or the right most part wasn't.

Then I decided to keep my desktop res at 1680x1050 and keep my game res at 1280x800. Somehow, it worked properly when I next loaded up the game. I had to use the auto-adjust on my monitor about 3 times for the UI to place properly, and then it was great. So I don't know what the problem was, or how I fixed it, but it is fixed now.

Kudos on this UI, it really is done very well and my eyes thank you for it.
Good to know you got it working. As for the menu not showing correctly it sounds like something going wrong with the widescreen mod, IIRC the [R]einstall option does not work correctly with PST and yes some LCD monitors have sometimes trouble adjusting to non native resolutions ( CRT still has it's values :) )

skyway said:
ghostdog, may I suggest you to blur menus' backgrounds more just to add some cool depth-of-field effect and also make menus to stand out better. Just for more eye-candy.
You are talking about the "new life" "Journal" and "options" backgrounds, right? Actually I have already blurred them a bit , but I didn't want to lose all the detail of the artwork (I really like the art of those two promotional posters)

Hory said:
x720? The three most used browser resolutions are 1024x768, 1280x1024 and 1280x800.
Well the x720 has a 16:9 ratio and that is the ratio of all LCDTV's and many have them (and use them as all around monitors). Anyway If I start working on a new resolution I'll probably also start making a 4:3 version, but I'm a lazy bastard :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom