Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GhostDog's PST UI mod v2.2 - UNEXPECTEDLY UPDATED 3.11.2021

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
GhostDog's Planescape: Torment User Interface mod v2.2

• Only works if Bigg's Widescreen Mod is already installed
  • There is now support for ALL resolutions. (except those below 800x480)

- Introduction:

This is a User Interface modification which in combination with Bigg's Widescreen Mod makes any resolution, above or equal to 800x600, viable for Planescape:Torment by changing a number of things in the User interface.

It all started with Bigg's mod that allows you to change the resolution in all of the infinity engine games. Bigg's mod is great, but especially in Torment when you change the resolution, almost all of the UI elements and game effects are shown in the top-left area , and the rest of the UI is chopped up. So what this mod does is that it centers all these elements and enhances the UI with original game art to fit nicely any given resolution.

This began as a joint effort with Taplonaplo. Without his help, findings and solutions the mod would have never reached this stage. I have made all of the visual changes and Taplonaplo has provided many of the code tweaks and exe offsets.

Here is a video demonstration of the mod :
(^It's a bit old though now. The dialog window has been revamped since then)

- Version history and changes

- 2/1/2012 : Version 2.2
  • Added support for the Chinese version. Thanks go to a9214, yyfeng and maoliyuanjiu for adding the appropriate offsets and to Mephisto Devil Satan for testing it.
  • The movies are now stretched to full-screen. Thanks to aqrit for providing the offset.
  • Celestial gate BAM has been changed back to its original size, centered and with its black borders removed. This was done because it caused slow downs and other problems in high resolutions.
  • Updated to Weidu v2.31
-15/01/10 : Version 2.1
  • Approximately doubled the size of the dialog text area. This not only fixes a potential bug, but also greatly improves reading experience. (Thanks to taplonaplo who found an important offset)
  • Due to the above enhancement, resolutions below 800x600 will not be supported from now on.
  • Revamped the inventory window in resolutions < 1280x720 in order to bypass the tooltip flickering problem.
  • Added another font size (120% bigger).
  • Made some minor tweaks.
- 28/12/09 : Version 2.0
  • Complete overhaul of the mod. It now supports all resolutions.
  • The old UI enhancements are applied whenever possible and according to each resolution.
  • New bigger fonts have been added as an optional component. The fonts are used in the Dialog/Journal windows and the floating text. Thanks go to haen.
  • Used 7-zip for compression since it has good compression capabilities and it's free.
  • Updated to Weidu v2.12
- 24/5/09 : Version 1.2
  • Added 1280x720 support.
  • Centered the dialog area for easier reading and revamped the dialog box.
  • Added a fix for the cursor's screen scrolling. Thanks go to scient for finding the offset pattern and to taplonaplo for implementing the code.
  • Added Qwinn's tweaks that make the installation smoother, faster and without warnings.
  • Now, when you install one of the bigger fonts, the in-game floating text will also be larger.
  • The 50% bigger fonts, are now a resized version of the fonts that are used for the in-game floating text. They look much better than the previous fonts.
  • The 30% bigger fonts are improved.
  • Fixed the journal so that the PC/NPC section has the correct background.
  • Made the worldmap fullscreen (the down bar is not visible now).
  • Updated to the latest version (v2.10) of WeiDU.
- Version 1.1 : Internal

- 23/11/08 : Version 1.0
  • Added 1280x1024 support.
  • Added the option to use two new types of bigger fonts in the dialog box. Check the "Features" section for more details.
  • Changed the name of the mod from "PST Widesreen UI mod" to "GhostDog's Planescape: Torment User Interface". Last time, I promise.
- 7/11/08 : Version 0.9
  • Added 1280x768 support, since it's compatible with many LCDTV's and laptops that can't use the 1280x800 resolution.
  • Centered the "To quit the game press Alt-F4" cd-message.
  • Made the installation much more compact and fast. Now it checks automatically if Bigg's Widescreen mod is installed and in what resolution and proceeds accordingly.
  • The size of the mod is reduced dramatically due to a script that centers the journal pics. The same script places the loading bar to the correct position. (Credit goes to qwinn for the replace script, scient for the modified code and Taplonaplo for adjusting the script)
  • Resolved the tooltip flicker of the bottom UI bar in a way that doesn't involve the editing of the dialog.tlk. As a result the mod now is compatible with all language versions.
  • Fixed a wrong offset for cinematics and re-edited the 'new life' screen.
  • Renamed the mod from PST 1280x800 UI to PST Widescreen UI.
- 24/10/08 : Version 0.8b
  • This is the first version to be released. It's a fully working version. There are some minor issues left that I'll try to fix in the next versions.
- Features:
  • Supports ALL resolutions (except those smaller than 800x480).
  • Start , character , stats , inventory , spell , option , loading ,store and journal screens have been centered and enhanced with original game art.
  • Dialog , cinematics and spell effects have been centered. Text area is now MUCH larger.
  • World map is now full screen.
  • Bigger fonts are available.
[click on the images for the full size picture]

The Start Screen:
1024x768:

1280x720, 1280x800 and 1280x1024. The backgrounds are from two unused UI files found in the game data:

1680x1050. The enhanced screens of 1280x1024 are centered according to the resolution:

New Life Screen:
1024x768:

1680x1050. The background is from a promotional game poster:

Inventory, Spells, character screen:
1024x768:

1680x1050. The lady's faces are there not just for remind you she's always watching, but also to avoid some tooltip flickering problems.

Dialog Window:
The area of dialog text has been increased almost to double size and the background has been made slightly darker for easier reading.
1024x768:

1680x1050: The area of dialog text has been made larger and the background has been made darker for easier reading. Since v1.2 the text area has been centered.

Bigger Fonts
Bigger fonts are provided for those that find the original text too small. The new fonts are more clear than the original and are applied only to the Dialog/Journal windows and to the floating text. You get to choose from 4 different sizes. Check the pic for comparison :

Options:
1680x1050. The background is from a snapshot from the cinematic intro.

Journal:
1680x1050. The background is from another promotional game poster.

Spells:
All Spell effects and animations are now centered:

Full screen worldmap:

- Installation:

For a detailed procedure of how to have a fully modded installation of PST look here

1. First of all you should make a full install of Planescape Torment. The Full install is not the "maximum installation" option from the game installer, it's a manual procedure. You can find instructions on how to do this,here
2. Install Bigg's Widescreen Mod with your desired resolution.
3. Extract the rar archive into your game directory.
4. Run Setup-PST-Widescreen-UI.exe
5. The mod will detect if the Widescreen mod is installed and in what resolution and then install the appropriate UI elements.
6. Afterwards you'll be asked if you want to install Bigger fonts. If yes, choose your language and desired size. You get to choose between 3 different sizes. I strongly recommend trying them out if you're using bigger than 800x600 resolutions. Of course it's always a matter of resolution, screen size and distance.

You can easily uninstall the mod by running the .exe again and choosing the uninstall option. Afterwards, to completely remove all components, delete the PST-Widescreen-UI folder, the Setup-PST-Widescreen-UI.exe and the Setup-PST-Widescreen-UI.tp2 file.

Always uninstall the old version if you are to install a new one.

- Compatibility:
  • YOU SHOULD START A NEW GAME since the Widescreen mod has issues with old saves from a different resolution.
  • This mod is packed with WeiDU so it should be compatible with other WeiDU mods as long as they don't edit the UI. It has been tested with all of Qwinn's mods without any problems so far. Qwinn's mods are strongly recommended. For a comprehensive guide for having a fully moded game,look here
  • Resolutions below 800x600 are not supported.
  • The mod is compatible with both 2CD and 4CD versions of the game.
  • The mod is compatible with any Language version. The bigger fonts are compatible with all known language versions (except Chinese/Korean).
  • If you want to install a Language pack, make sure you install it PRIOR to installing this mod, otherwise the game may crash.
  • Desert Hell and Bladestorm backgrounds have been removed due to issues they cause at higher resolutions.
  • Using the 120% bigger fonts with resolutions lower than 1280x720 may cause a scrolling problem with the dialog box, which wll not let you continue. If this happens uninstall them and install a smaller font.
  • The text asking you to put in a CD, is a bit off.
  • Some flickering is may occur, when you open certain windows.
  • You may experience black backgrounds around objects, this is an nvidia card related problem. You may also experience slowdowns or other graphical artifacts (especially with the fog of war), this is also most likely an issue caused by modern graphic cards and the way they deal with Direct Draw. For a DDraw Fix look here. Other solutions may be found in this thread.
- Many Thanks to (check the readme for more details):

- Many thanks go to TAPLONAPLO who has done a fantastic job at solving almost all of the technical problems that appear when you change the game's resolution. Without his findings and fixes, this project would probably never have reached this stage.
- Many thanks should also go to THE VANISHED ONE who helped me a lot when I started editing the UI and has also provided WEIDU code for the version check and also the code to resize the MOS files. I was inspired to make this mod by the Vanished One who is making a similar mod for a PST 1024x768 UI resolution.
- Qwinn, For helping me with WeiDu code questions and for making some great PST mods. He helped a lot with his replace script.
- Weak-ling, a member of the Gibbrlings3 forums , who has found the action box and tooltip offsets.
- The Bigg: For creating the amazing widescreen mod for the Infinity engine games.
- Scient (member of the shsforums) for providing the modified code for the journal pics and loading bar.
- Haen, for providing his awesome font bam generator, which I used to create the new fonts. You can find it here
- All the people that tested the bigger fonts for the various languages.
- a9214, yyfeng and maoliyuanjiu for adding the appropriate offsets for the Chinese version of PST and to Mephisto Devil Satan for testing it.
- aqrit for providing the offsets to stretch the movies to full-screen.

- Download Links :

Main download link (always up to date version):
http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/683-ghostdogs-pst-ui-mod-v22/

Mirrors:

The main mod forums are now in spellhold studios : http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showforum=571
But I'll always keep this thread updated.

:mca:

Surprise (I never asked for this) Update!

I tried playing EE but found it blurry and with a small dialog window. So, I fired up my old game using my good old UI.

Then I decided to do some fiddling around...

So, for the two people that might still be interested...

Alternate Dialog window and down bar:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/o1dnnrtxx6p2k7i/Alternate_UI__looks.zip/file

Installation: Just extract the override folder into the main game directory and copy over as asked.

VnkNnli.png

iM4vo3C.png

Bonus Portraits mod: https://www.mediafire.com/file/gldtm69m4rtm752/Portraits_Mod.zip/file

Based on the excellent Tchos portrait mod. Alternate (mostly) drawn portraits of NPCs and party members. TNO's Inventory portrait changes according to the weapon as in the original but instead of the ragdoll you get a bigger portrait.

Last edited:

racofer

Thread Incliner
Now that looks fucking sweet. A game worth playing that will no longer look like shit on my lcd due to low resolutions. Plus this game has a good camera.

Midwinter

Novice
Wow, fantastic! I've toyed with the 1024 version, but 1280 will look a lot better on my 1680 screen. And the interface got even prettier!

Thanks guys! :)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm glad you like it. I wondering if anybody has a non-english game version. In fact was Torment officialy published in another language? The way wikipedia makes it look, is that it was only published in english and only some fanmade translations exist.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Jaime Lannister said:
racofer said:
all i care about in rpgs is the camera.

That's the least of the reasons why PS:T is better than NWN2, and you know it.

Considering the camera is the interface used for one to perceive the game experience, I disagree. Camera is everything.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
OK, right now, I'm working on making the mod multilanguage, so I'll need to make some tooltip description changes.

The thing is that I need the text in strings 41660, 41647, 41631, 41648, 41646 to be equal or less than 17 characters

Originally :

STRING 41660 'Open Dialogue Window'
STRING 41647 'Lock Camera On Character'
STRING 41631 'Deactivate Party AI'
STRING 41648 'Unlock View On Character'
STRING 41646 'Activate Party AI'

So how do these sound in french? :

STRING 41660 'Ouvrir dialogue'
STRING 41647 'Verrouiller vue'
STRING 41631 'Désactiver l'IA'
STRING 41648 'Déverrouiller vue'
STRING 41646 'Activer l'IA'

and in spanish ? :

STRING 41660 'Mostrar diálogo'
STRING 41647 'Fijar la vista'
STRING 41631 'Desactivar la IA'
STRING 41648 'Abrir la vista'
STRING 41646 'Activar la IA'

MetalCraze

Arcane
widescreen's readme contains the requirement to start a new game if using widescreen mod so I've asked.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
hmm, you're right about the widescreen mod, if you don't start a new game in PST it seems you get a lot of crashes...

Anyway you can install the UI without fear I think. I've installed and uninstalled it many times without problems, but I've not tested it extensively , so there is a possibility for things to go wrong.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Since many LCDTV's and Laptops cannot use the 1280x800 resolution, I've decided to make a 1280x768 version of the UI since it's a resolution that many LCDTV's and Laptops can use.

This is the first version of the UI mod. Some backgrounds are not perfectly centered (they are straight from the 1280x800 UI) but it should look fine.

PST 1280x768 UI

PS: I used taplonaplo's code to resize the journal pics on the fly , in order to reduce the size of the mod, so it may take a while to install (about 7 minutes).

It's not the finished product but it should work fine for anyone who would need such a resolution.

nickwest

Novice
Not working for me...

Thanks for the great Mod, I played through PST for the first times a few years ago and fell in love with it and when I read there was widescreen support I knew I had to try again.

But I'm having trouble. When I try to start PST I get an assertion error (not sure exactly what it is since I don't have it handy). Here's what I've tried:

1. Install 4CD version
2. Patch to 1.1
3. Install BIGG's widescreen mod at 1280x800
4. Install this mod
5. Run game

And it doesn't work, am I doing something wrong?
Thanks!

taplonaplo

Scholar
what's the exact assertion error, and when do you recieve it (if on startup, does it crash before or after the movies)?
Your installation should be fine btw.

nickwest

Novice
The error happens when I try to start Torment, it doesn't even get to the movies.
The exact message:
An Assertion failed in F:\Torment\Source\chitin\ChVideo.cpp at line number 4322
Programmer says: No valid video modes supported.

Which is a bit odd since I don't have an F drive on my entire system.

Also the normal widescreen fix seemed to install just fine once I realized I had to do a full install first *facepalm*, the the 1280x800 mod had a few warnings when I installed it. Here is one of the warnings from the debug file at 3920:

WARNING: cannot verify trigger ~GlobalOrGlobal("Know_Soego_Rats", "GLOBAL", "Soego_Journal", "GLOBAL")
Global("Soego_Exposed", "GLOBAL", 0)
~: Failure("cannot find an argument of the right type")

So again to recap, my exact install procedure, no no-cd cracks or anything:
1. Install 4cd PST to c:\Games\Torment
2. Patch to 1.1
3. Copy in cd2, cd3, cd4, modify .ini file
4. Install widescreen mod (no errors)
5. Install 1280x800 mod (a few warnings)

Ausdoerrt

Augur
^ I have the exact same error, although I'm running the 2 CD version. Had the same types of warnings during install. Please advise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom