Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands

bonescraper

This is the saddest, dumbest thing i ever saw.
The game or the LARPing ? I must admit this vid gave me some original Ghost Recon vibes.
Both, actually. I played the closed beta, the game is fun with friends if you run around doing silly shit. This game is as tactical and challenging as the fucking Saints Row games, even on the highest difficulty setting. The AI is braindead, corpses disappear instantly after death and the game is pretty much a Just Cause clone without the sillyness, jets and environmental destruction. It's a dumb run and gun open world shooter. That whole first 15 minute segment can be done in 2-3 minutes tops. This shit is worse than LARPing in Oblivion, because in Oblivion you can actually attempt to bring some incline with mods. Again, this game doesn't require al those "sophisticated" tactics and communication, it's pure fucking popamole. And those consolefags who made those videos are sending the wrong message, this game is nothing like the original Ghost Recon games, let alone ArmA or even OF: DR.

anus_pounder

Arcane
A legitimately great game and possible contender for GotY arrives and all people can do is bitch about minor issues. I pre-ordered this game months back and every video I've seen points to an incredible experience. :incline:

Hellion

Arcane
Yesterday they launched a minigame-ish website for Wildlands called "A World With No Heroes".

https://noheroes.ghostrecon.com/en-GB/index.html

You control a drone or something and must idenfity some suspects that move around the entire map to unlock some stuff for when the game launches.

After that is done you can still keep roaming around with the drone and get periodical updates that zoom you in on certain locations, where you see short videos of the game's factions shooting at each other in various scenarios.

Silva

Arcane
Watching some more gameplay vids I noticed a player opening the map and reading a "Story Mission" mark on the map. You hear that. Not "Primary objective" or "Point Alpha" or "Site Zulu", no, it's STORY MISSION. That was... the most anti-immersive thing I've seen in a while.

Also, anyone else feels terminology like "levels" and "skill points" anti-immersive on a (supposedly) military tactical shooter ? They could go with improvements or training or clearance level or don't know.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
This game appears to be what MGS V should have been.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Hellion

Arcane
Ubisoft's supposed to stream the Open Beta on twitch in about 5 mins.

https://twitch.tv/ubisoft

Hopefully it won't have the cringeworthy commentary of that E3 announcement gameplay trailer.

Edit: Watched it, some noob Ubisoft developers tried to do "stealth approach" then opened fire 2 minutes into their mission, drove helicopters and tanks, and then got wiped by the AI.

Last edited:

bonescraper

IT'S NOT A TACTICAL SHOOTER YOU TWATS, IT'S "WATCH DOGS RURAL EDITION" WITH 4 PLAYER CO-OP.

You thought Future Soldier was tactical? Then imagie Future Soldier in an open world, with everything remotely tactical that was left there gone, except for target marking (default 2 up to 4, and even that has to be unlocked with goddamn skill points). You can spawn an SUV or a chopper right in front of you at any given time, how do you like your "tactical shooter" now, eh?

tormund

Arcane
You already played the game, son?
Because your words are at odds with everything we have seen and read about this game so far. This is shaping the be the deepest, most emergent GR game in years. But hey, we are on Kodex, so it ain't cool not to hate...

bonescraper

Yes you dolt, i already said i played the closed beta. You're fucking delusional if you think it has any tactical depth. It has none, Morgoth summed it up perfectly, it's Far Cry in third person with 4 player co-op. Deep and emergent as fuck.

tormund

Arcane
Whatever suits you, boyo. You ARE a bit too invested in a game you supposedly hate, though...

Myself, I'll be waiting for opinions of folks like BunnyHop, though I tend to trust my eyes and what i saw so far has been excellent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom