Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghost Recon vs Rainbow Six

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Unwanted

Unwanted
Last edited by a moderator:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Swat 4, Rainbow Six Rogue Spear, and Ghost Recon are the best they ever got, but they're different enough thematically and gameplay-wise I wouldn't really put them in competition with one another.

I will say the R6: Vegas games are fun if you just play them as ordinary shooters and not mutated backwater Louisiana incest productions of a once-proud R6 family.

Unwanted

Unwanted
after 4 hours only 1 comment and 3 votes ? not surprised,kids don't enjoy slow-paced tactical shooter where you needs to use your brain ! they prefer popular popamoles shits like battlefield 5,half life 2,Doom Eternal...

I going to follow your advice and buy and play Rogue Spear,Ghost Recon and then SWAT 4.meanwhile Codex will be busy with Sarkeesianfield 5,Popamole Eternal and Fortnite Ops 4.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Three best I've played are SWAT 4, GR1 and Raven Shield, but that's not having played any of the previous R6, which I should rectify. I was never crazy about the planning stages of Raven Shield. I preferred how GR let you coordinate team movement in-mission.

I preferred Rainbow Six 3 on Xbox over the Vegas games. Warfighter 1 and 2 were pretty good on PC; you could coordinate tactics on the mission map like GR1, but you only controlled a squad of 4. Delta Forces seemed super unpolished, but I still got some fun out of them. I was a big tac shooter fan, even going to dross like The Sum of All Fears to get my fix.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Rogue Spear is pretty much the same as the first one but more polished and with better AI for your team mates.

Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield on the other hand is simply...

serveimage

5d0.png

MASTERPIECE!

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I'd rank those games something like this:

Essential: Rogue Spear, SWAT 4, Operation Flashpoint (not necessarily in that order)
Great: Raven Shield
Good: Ghost Recon, SWAT 3, Rainbow Six

All of these are worth giving a shot. Rogue Spear, SWAT 4 and OFP are all brilliant and totally different. Raven Shield isn't really any worse, even improving on Rogue Spear in a number of ways, but Rogue Spear is overall just a bit tighter and the definitive game in the series. As for the rest, Delta Force is fun but not really a part of the genre, and gameplay-wise the first two SWAT games have almost nothing in common with the last two. Rainbow Six declined heavily after Raven Shield, and the Ghost Recon series was a one-hit wonder.

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ghost Recon was great, but I remember a couple of missions where you had to kill every enemy in the area and I spent 30 searching for them because they didn't trigger and just sat in a bush or cave hiding.

Probably realistic, but a bit annoying.

SniperHF

Arcane
Unless it has changed since the last time I looked, the GOG version of Ghost Recon doesn't have the expansions. The base game is generally better but the expansions are worth playing.

Similarly, the free expansion Iron Wrath for RavenShield is floating around the interwebs. I don't think the digital versions of RvS include it. It's pretty short and just okay but more maps are more maps.

EDIT: Oh no one has mentioned this pile of garbage yet either - Stay the hell away from Rainbow Six Lockdown :lol:

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Ghost Recon -- good shit.
Rainbow Six -- very good shit.
Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear -- AFAIK good shit, yet to try this one.
Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield -- my favorite, very good shit.
Lockdown -- turd, avoid.
Vegas 1 and 2 -- cover-based popamole, avoid.
Warfighter 1 and 2 -- felt like Call of Duty shit compared to GR1 and RS games, so I'd say avoid.

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis -- great game, go play it.
Delta Force -- questionable. I don't remember anything tactical about these games.
SWAT 1, 2, 3, 4 -- yet to play 1-3, 4 is not too shabby if you're tired of 'no bullshit' approach in good Rainbow Six games and would like to cuff a few fuckers.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Dunno which is best, but for some months back in 2006 or thereabouts, Ghost Recon was my favourite game. Couldn't get enough of it, and played it and the two expansions at least twice.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I just completed Ghost Recon and both add-ons. Awesome game and really helped me scratch that „Outdoor Spec Ops“ itch.

I’ve been playing around with Rainbow Six Raven Shield a bit. Different beast, but I’m already liking it. What’s a bit disappointing is the dumb AI, which seems 3 steps behind Ghost Recon. Does it make sense to use LMGs in this game? Suppressive fire doesn’t seem to work at all, because the AI is just suicidal and won’t fall down to the ground or run for cover.

Plisken

Learned
original Ghost Recon is definitely worth grabbing, and in particular the island thunder expansion.

Rainbow six 3: Raven Shield is the peak of the rainbow series. While 1 and 2 have memorable and iconic levels, 3 is such a massive improvement to both the visual fidelity and the gameplay mechanics all around that its worth skipping to.

GRAW 2 on PC is surprisingly decent. It is nothing like the console version - as in, they are completely different games by different developers iirc. a weird thing.

Operation Flashpoint CWC I loved back in the day like everyone else, but its seriously dated now. And I don't just mean "hurr durr it dun look purty" i mean even in 2001 it was a clunky buggy fucking mess, and now it stands out painfully so especially if you've played other arma games. A lot of the stuff that was mind blowing about OFP when it first released it not at all novel to the modern gamer now. The sequels are all massive incremental improvements. I'd sooner recommend someone goes to the trouble of modding ArmA 2 to play through the original campaigns (they were all recreated 100% iirc) than buying OFP.

SWAT series. Interesting series where each title looks nothing like the previous one:

SWAT 1 otherwise known as police quest: swat or something like that, was like a CYOA with FMVs and shit.

SWAT 2 is like an RTS, except its really gay and frustrating because it is real time with no pausing, and theres no queing up orders for all the shit you have to micromanage. The end result is using very gamey solutions to win what would otherwise be a very interesting tactical game. A missed opportunity IMO, it should've been turn based.

SWAT 3 is where it turned into a tactical FPS. SWAT 3 IMO is an extremely impressive game, especially for its time. It still holds up well. The game is very grounded and realistic in feeling, the levels are detailed and many are impressively large, and your friendly AI are both easy to command and carry out (or at least attempt to - sometimes the result is far from perfect) a variety of true to life entry techniques Its one of the only tactical games where friendly AI actually CLEAR rooms properly instead walking in like lambs to the slaughter, one of my biggest pet peeves with the rainbow series which is all about room clearing. SWAT 3 also had and to some degree still has a very lively modding community. The GOTY edition of SWAT 3 is definitely worth grabbing IMO.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
GRAW 2 on PC is surprisingly decent. It is nothing like the console version - as in, they are completely different games by different developers iirc. a weird thing.
Something Ubisoft did for some reason between 6th and 7th generation. Splinter Cell Double Agent and one of the Prince of Persia games did this too. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory also had a really different version of the game between PS2/Gamecube and Xbox. Double Agent had almost 3 versions, as the original Xbox version differed from the PS2 and Gamecube despite being grouped in the same category, but was still made by the same developers. The PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 versions were made by Ubisoft Shanghai.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
SWAT 3 is where it turned into a tactical FPS. SWAT 3 IMO is an extremely impressive game, especially for its time. It still holds up well. The game is very grounded and realistic in feeling, the levels are detailed and many are impressively large, and your friendly AI are both easy to command and carry out (or at least attempt to - sometimes the result is far from perfect) a variety of true to life entry techniques Its one of the only tactical games where friendly AI actually CLEAR rooms properly instead walking in like lambs to the slaughter, one of my biggest pet peeves with the rainbow series which is all about room clearing. SWAT 3 also had and to some degree still has a very lively modding community. The GOTY edition of SWAT 3 is definitely worth grabbing IMO.
Oh and definitely agree, Rainbow Six 3 had awful room clearing AI. On the topic of SWAT, I think SWAT 4 with the SWAT: Elite Force mod is by far the best SWAT game ever, it's really great. It fixes everything I found wrong with the game like AI never giving up when shot and unintelligent enemy and friendly AI and adds some new weapons and stuff.

I'm looking out for Ready or Not at the moment, I have a ton of hope in the game and the lead developer of SWAT: Elite Force is also working on it.

Plisken

Learned
Oh and definitely agree, Rainbow Six 3 had awful room clearing AI. On the topic of SWAT, I think SWAT 4 with the SWAT: Elite Force mod is by far the best SWAT game ever, it's really great. It fixes everything I found wrong with the game like AI never giving up when shot and unintelligent enemy and friendly AI and adds some new weapons and stuff.

I'm looking out for Ready or Not at the moment, I have a ton of hope in the game and the lead developer of SWAT: Elite Force is also working on it.

Ready or Not does look good

Theres also Ground Branch which is being worked on by former Red Storm Entertainment members and looks to be a modern successor to original Ghost Recon. I'm not holding my breath however, their progress is glacial and what they have in early access at the moment is pretty barebones.

zool

Arcane
On the topic of SWAT, I think SWAT 4 with the SWAT: Elite Force mod is by far the best SWAT game ever, it's really great. It fixes everything I found wrong with the game like AI never giving up when shot and unintelligent enemy and friendly AI and adds some new weapons and stuff.

Would you recommend installing it for a first playthrough of SWAT 4 and Stetchkov Syndicate? I'll probably not have time for a second playthrough, so I'd rather make sure I get the best experience right from the beginning. Among the features listed on Elite Force's ModDB page, I'm particularly intrigued about this.

The original SWAT 4 and Stetchkov Syndicate campaigns, combined into one. There is a refined unlocks system, designed to make the campaign more enjoyable to play.

Does it really make the campaign more enjoyable?

Re: SWAT 3, what's the best mod to use?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Would you recommend installing it for a first playthrough of SWAT 4 and Stetchkov Syndicate? I'll probably not have time for a second playthrough, so I'd rather make sure I get the best experience right from the beginning. Among the features listed on Elite Force's ModDB page, I'm particularly intrigued about this.
I don't think it really matters if its merged or not, but you can still play them separately with Elite Force if you'd like. I would say that it makes the game better overall due to AI improvements, scoring and grenade behaviors, so go for it. The only things that I find questionable about Elite Force is that it adds a progression system where all the weapons are not unlocked by default, as they are in vanilla and there are some extra objectives on some maps, such as picking up drugs.
SWAT 3 modding community is tiny, and nothing comes to mind other than SWAT 3 Last Resort which makes the game run on modern systems and also has an option for a texture pack.

Plisken

Learned

definitely the last resort mod for running it on modern systems.

enhancements 1.5 by finn

http://induktio.net/swat3/Multi.html

after you play it vanilla you might like to use the RTRT weapons mod. Realistic, high quality weapon assets unlike most gun mods in the swat 3 community which are just ridiculous.

For higher quality officer models, I would recommend BBE "real element" . These are good quality accurate models. SWAT is very easily modded so you can play around and mix and match shit. Most of them are worthless IMO.

Suchy

Arcane
Ghost Recon was poor man's Operaion Flashpoint, definitely give OFP a try. Also great community support, tons of new scenarios and mods are still being released, including total conversions for Vietnam or WWII.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Operation Flashpoint was poor man's Doom.
That's the most retarded sentence I have read all day.

Suchy

Arcane
GR tried to do what OFP has already done - an open world team based tactical shooter. Which wasn't really open world, however maps were large enough. Also lacked in realism and overall scale. It was still a good game, but something you play for a week then go back to OFP.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
OFP was a simulator, GR wasn't. They aimed to do different things with different goals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom