Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ghost of a Tale Released

SerratedBiz

Arcane
To be perfectly honest every time some mongoloid uses "VA can also be BAD!" as an argument to never include some in a game, I wish I could bitchslap that moron through the internet.

It seems pretty obvious to me that when someone says "This title would probably benefit from it" he's implying a scenario where the voice acting is supposed to be of good quality.

This is a pretty retarded follow-up. I'll break down my post for you in easy to understand bits.

1) Someone suggested GoaT should have VA because hey, HQ did it for free.

2) However, the VA in HQ was not of good quality. And amateur VA is not necessarily better than no VA, and is a major drain in resources (even if free - because that shit takes time). Check out the Mage's Initiation thread in the Adventure forum for a great example of this.

3) Therefore, if the developer of GoaT decided not to go with VA (presumably due to the cost, in either time or money), suggesting that any VA is preferable to none is pretty fucking stupid.

I made no claim that VA should never be included in a game so don't put words in my mouth.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished the game ... with tears in my eyes :)

The bad stuff: there are a couple of visual bugs, backtracking can be annoying and some fed ex quests. The most annoying shit was that an obvious door was not available until a certain quest was acquired. Other than this, I got one cutscene glitch and that's about it. I would say it's pretty solid.

However the game is an accomplishment in several ways:
- Visually it is stunning and by that I'm underselling how gorgeous this game is at certain moments. Character animations are AAA-stuff. The character can equip parts of different armors and everything is in sync. Some screenshots below.
- Dark Souls 1 world design: it can be explored using multiple paths which sometimes converge, shortcuts are available and every location has personality. I love it.
- Gothic non-linear quest design: you can do the quests in any order you want, you can acquire quest items before acquiring the actual quests and flavor C&C.
- Story, lore, script are good. Every location, NPC and dialog line is well written (IMHO) and it's important for the overall story. Also it features environmental story-telling which was borrowed from DaS1.
- The UI is good. It did not bother me despite the fact that you have to equip 5 pieces for one type of armor. It is usable. Yeah, it could be improved but it works.
- At certain time it had given me the feeling of playing Thief. I cannot explain why but probably because of the combination between the fantastic atmosphere and the stealth approach.

Overall: I'm completely sold. I want more. Maybe the game doesn't check all the boxes for a deep RPG and what not but it's one the best adventure games I ever played. It has charm, it has soul and it's fun. What more can you ask?
Answer: more QA :)

It's absolutely mind blowing how one man could create such a game. Playing it was like a blast from the past, before all the AAA-shit and the inherent dumbing down. Yeah, it is that good.

I recommend it to everyone. One play-through is like 10 hours (maybe less), don't expect Thief, DaS or Gothic, just go with the flow and have fun :)

CC705A51EA63BE98F0A24648500FB07CF5E2EC26

1833EE6BCA1CA0B0AA8F5E5D63D454E5D60FF81C

986197C5B37E0EA3DE2D07572CE09FEE2913E9BB

A08F843C3B8823D5EFD89CA4D5519CCB9BBC08F8

EA901B6FDC91ECC9D9280B8FA81CB8FFCE8FA55D

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
muh voice actung

this is all the "voiceover" you'll ever need:

and guess what, the CD version added actual human speech and it was fucking terrible

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
DaS1.

don't expect Thief, DaS or Gothic

Which game is this? Dark Souls? I ask because of the "a".

Oh, and I said before and I say it again: Turn off Chromatic Aberration...

DaS is for the first Dark Souls game. DeS is for Demon's Souls.

Dark Souls 1 is the only Dark Souls which features an interconnected world design where most paths can lead back to the Firelink Shrine which serves as a pseudo-central hub.

There is no central hub in Ghost of a Tale however there are multiple ways to access each area and everything becomes easy to navigate once you learn all the shortcuts.

The world is not as memorable as the Dark Souls 1 world but it's pretty close to it: you have the same feeling when you discover a shortcut and you realize that you know exactly where you are :)

Also the entire game world is one huge block or chunk like the one in Dark Souls 1 which basically means that each location makes sense geographically (there are no overlapping levels or taking a lift to a lava lake like in DaS2 or Das3).

One more thing: As in Prey each NPC/Rat has a name ;)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom