Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Getting killed a lot

Severian Silk

I am getting my ass handed to me in combat and am having to savescum a lot. My character is spec'd to be a gun expert, but he does way more damage and is much more accurate with his electric knife. I will try and post my build in my next post.

:(

Snufkin

Augur
Go with classic build like assault rifle tank. 8/3/3/10/10++++++/3/3 . Grab conditioning and thick skull early and suppresive fire+opportunist. Pick all feats that complement you like full auto and commando and Concentrated Fire. On lvl 8 get premeditation so you can cast electrokinesis for 0 AP. Get lifting belt and best steel armor you can get once you arive to Junktown and buy/build best assault rifle you can. Best thing about this build is that you can get away with 0 pts in dodge/evasion/stealth and that saves you a lot of skill points.

EDIT: Getting survival instincts and juggernaut would be even more brutal then suppresive fire+opportunist since you can then affort of walking with <30% HP for huge 30% crit chance bonus. If you replace conditioning with recklessness your crit chance will be 42% on lvl 4 which is quite crazy.

Last edited:

Snufkin

Augur
Here is the thing - you dont want to over-hybridize char in Underrail. Also you dumped skill points into pickpocketing.. bad idea. You have no crafting skills , and weapons/armors you craft are better then those you buy in shop. Higher perception is also very important for ranged chars. Your char is more of jack of trades/master of nothing thats why it feels gimped. Min-max is very good idea in Underrail.. hammer guy with 10 str and 10 con or assault rifle dude with 10 per and 10 con might look primitive but it works.

the_shadow

Arcane
Your character is Level 17. Where abouts in the game are you having trouble (South, Central or North Underrail)?

Severian Silk

I'm in Core City right now and am having an easier time with bandits, zoners, etc.

I did okay in the group battle to take over the crawler gang's hideout.

I am dealing a lot of damage with the knife.

Main problem is that I am taking a lot of damage.

I am unable to defeat the guards in the protectorate warehouse by the docks for instance.

Snufkin

Augur
What armor /belt/ helmet/ boots you use? Also you got kukri right? Thats best knife. If you dont have it you should get it, in cave west to the Camp Hathor there is guy with it that you can kill and loot it.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

I am wearing the rathound king armor since I get some bonuses via a perk if my armor penalty is zero.

My knife does mechanical + electric + bleeding damage, but is not a kukri.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Chose between guns and melee from now on. Put all ability points on dex. Kukri is probably the best knife you can find due to its crit bonus. Search around Camp Hathor. Also try pneumatic fists if you find them, their fourth hit is always a double/triple crit and stuns the opponent. Stack on flashbangs as much you can.

I can't believe you even took psi empathy and you're running around with -25% health and no psi skills. :salute:

Severian Silk

I don't remember getting psi empathy, or even having it. Is it added as part of a quest?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The doctor in SGS gives you a pill to open up your psi abilities if you want to follow the psi route. It comes with a -25% hp drawback. He warns you about severe physical drawbacks. You probably just clicked OK and took it. C&C.

Severian Silk

If the game had been more clear about the effect (i.e. not just flavor text) I probably would not have taken it.

the_shadow

Arcane
Even though I'm cruising through the last 1/5th of the game, I'm playing with a heavy armour/guns build, so I'm not exactly sure if I can give much valuable advice for your character.

I do think a character in this game would struggle *a lot* without having some sort of anti-ballistic vest. A decent vest with a high damage threshold + the 200% damage threshold modifier will allow you to shrug off most mechanical firearm damage, which is used by about 50% of enemies in the game. It has a medium encumbrance penalty, but I'm not familiar enough with the game's mechanics to know how much it would handicap a character that's focusing on dodging.

You will also want to purchase an energy shield ASAP (you can purchase one after Core City is attacked), mainly for protection against energy weapons and grenades. I wouldn't use it against enemies who use burst weapons, since they'll take it down in one hit, and an anti-ballistic vest should mitigate most of that damage anyway.

Grenades also are a huge game changer. High quality frag grenades should allow you to shred most of your enemies in Core City, but I think Flashbangs would be essential for a melee character, as they'd allow you to close in and stun-lock your enemies. Gas grenades are also pretty cool, since they don't trigger NPCs to go hostile. So you can throw a couple of gas grenades into a group of neutral gangsters until they suffer 200% contamination (ie. 200% bonus to damage), and then follow up with a Molotov.

Just as an aside, you're not meant to attack the Protectorate guards in the warehouse district. Either you bluff your way in if you have high persuade, or you bribe the dockmaster to let you go through the tunnel in the utility room.

mushaden

Scholar
Agree about the anti-ballistic vest. Until I looted a very nice anti-rifle overcoat from a lurker I was getting my ass handed to me in most fights.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The doctor in SGS gives you a pill to open up your psi abilities if you want to follow the psi route. It comes with a -25% hp drawback. He warns you about severe physical drawbacks. You probably just clicked OK and took it. C&C.
Was this from the start like that? I don't remember a side-effect like this when I played the game in early access.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Was this from the start like that? I don't remember a side-effect like this when I played the game in early access.
Yeah in early access taking the pill didn't have any drawbacks. It was added in the release version IIRC.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Yeah in early access taking the pill didn't have any drawbacks. It was added in the release version IIRC.
Thought so. I skipped this boring dialogue once the game got released and didn't even notice that it has a drawback. I haven't had problems on normal difficulty though (but then my only playthrough so far was as a gunfighter).

Snufkin

Augur
A glass cannon with 3 CON and -25% penality from PSI can still beat hard. Those type of builds rely on attacking first from stealth and poping adrenaline shot and killing everything in 2 rounds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom