Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Getting a pad is X-Box 360 wired pad a way to go

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
My old generic cheapass pad has some problems working with modern games and while looking for a reasons I've discovered that there is some new standard in gaming and only a wired X-Box pad is guaranteed to work with everything. How true is that?
And now, emulators don't help, my pad seem to not work with them either.

I got a wired 360 pad after getting tired of compatibility problems too, certainly don't regret it. The only bad thing about them is directional pad but I got used to it quick enough. Otherwise it's the most comfortable pad I've ever had. Keep your generic pad for older games which might not support a 360 pad and get this one for more recent stuff.

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
360 controllers are bretty good. I use a PS3 controller though because all my Xbox controllers are wireless and I'm too cheap to buy the wireless adapter. A 360 controller will work straight away with most games released after 2006.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah. Playing spectacle fighters with a Xbox pad on PC is good shit.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes. The original Microsoft 360 one, not the cheap knockoffs. Its also durable as hell.
Never had one break down, not even a trigger, nor thumbstick.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The standard microsoft ones are pretty good - comparatively cheap and durable as well.

If you're going to go for a third party one, just make sure to do a lot of research on the model beforehand.
Third party ones tend to be expensive and are often of very questionable quality. *cough*Razer*cough*

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
I always found the standard controllers to be pretty durable except for the bumper buttons which usually break first.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
On the other hand, Razer's controllers act like this within a week or two of barely any use
razer3.jpg

then you turn on the built in hyper sensitive mode and this gives you another week or two of barely any use, when suddenly.
razer5.jpg

I've had it returned several times under warranty to see the exact same things play out.
Which is a shame since I rather liked the way it felt, as well as the two extra customisable shoulder buttons.

Serves me right for supporting popamole. :negative:

Astral Rag

Arcane
360 controller's D-pad is the stuff of nightmares, other than that the controller is good for modern games. Don't even entertain the notion of playing emulated classic games with it.

I use Xpadder + a GameCube or a PS2 controller for games that require a functional D-pad.

Last edited:

Bruticis

I replaced my 360 pad with the Xbone pad and I like it even more. It feels more comfortable and the dpad is much improved IMO.

Gozma

Arcane
I have a PS3 pad (one with an xbox layout) and getting it to work is always a pain in the ass even though every goddamn game could just use generic USB drivers. They always gotta be fuckers about it

Multi-headed Cow

I replaced my 360 pad with the Xbone pad and I like it even more. It feels more comfortable and the dpad is much improved IMO.
There are wired Xbone pads for PC now? I should keep my eyes peeled for deals. Been using a 360 pad for a few years now and have really liked it, wouldn't mind picking up an Xbone one since I assume it'd have the same compatibility (Which is to say runs like a dream on everything instantly).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have a PS3 pad (one with an xbox layout) and getting it to work is always a pain in the ass even though every goddamn game could just use generic USB drivers. They always gotta be fuckers about it
Just use motioninjoy/ds3tool
No: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

With this every game thinks your PS3 controller is an xbox controller and it just works™ with no control panel or popup ads.

Martius

Liturgist
There are wired Xbone pads for PC now? I should keep my eyes peeled for deals. Been using a 360 pad for a few years now and have really liked it, wouldn't mind picking up an Xbone one since I assume it'd have the same compatibility (Which is to say runs like a dream on everything instantly).
Xbox one is wireless but only way to use it on pc is to connect through usb. There is no receiver/adapter for it like it was for 360 pad.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Xbox pad is overpriced. Logitech F series is the way to go. This one will be precise after a decade.

Trotsky

Arcane
The standard microsoft ones are pretty good - comparatively cheap and durable as well.

If you're going to go for a third party one, just make sure to do a lot of research on the model beforehand.
Third party ones tend to be expensive and are often of very questionable quality. *cough*Razer*cough*

The standard xbox 360 controller was battery draining junk (the whole console was crap) but my custom ME3 Razer xbox controller was amazingly smooth and sleek. It broke down as well but it was pretty and I have no regrets.

Explorerbc

Arcane
I have the Logitech F310 which is the cheap model of the series, and it works with anything, even in games with a lot of compatibility complaints.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I got a used Xbox 360 pad like 5 years ago for $20 at a pawn shop. Works great and I barely use it anyway.

I briefly owned a PS4 before selling it for a profit and that controller is fucking great though. Much better in every way for my money. Maybe one day I'll trade up, but I'm not sure how good compatibility is.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I have the Logitech F310 which is the cheap model of the series, and it works with anything, even in games with a lot of compatibility complaints.

Just don't get the wireless variation of that controller, (710 IIRC) it has issues with the wireless signal frequently dropping during gameplay. I had to return one because it was becoming unresponsive every few seconds, making any game unplayable.

GrainWetski

Arcane
The PS4 pad is the best pad currently. Works fine with some googling. PS3 is fine too.

Don't get a 360 pad for use outside of a 360. Easily the worst dpad that exists. Ruins emulating games that use a dpad. What use is a pad for anything else? Nobody sane knows.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom