Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Getting a new pc next week. Recommendations?

Donk

Novice
So my shitty PC bit the dust the other week, but before that I had an embarrassing amount of games in my backlog that I'm considering having a crack at once I get my new PC. I will list them, or alternatively, you can recommend something that isn't on the list of games. Basically, I'm sick of all of these new, flashy AAA games. They are boring as shit and cant seem to hold my attention. I just end up getting pissed off that I have wasted more money. I'm currently playing Wasteland 2 on the Xbox One (its actually a good port, unlike Origins on console back in the day) and so far I'm having a blast.

Anyway. This is my backlog of RPGs I haven't played yet:

- Pillars of Eternity
- Baldur's Gate 1/2
- NWN 1/2
-Shadowrun Hong Kong
-Jade Empire
- Kotor 1/2
- Vampire the Masquerade: BL
- Gothic series
- Planescape Torment
- Septerra Core

I'll note that i am moving away from 3D acting roleplaying games like the Witcher and Gothic, BioDrone games, etc and am falling in love with isometric and turn based.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Recommendations for what?

A low-spec PC can run all of those. As for BG, avoid the Enhanced Editions if you want to save yourself some moronic dialogue and characters. Problem is the classic editions will be harder to get now. Beamdog basically shat on the games. I mean, of all the characters they introduced, only like 1 or 2 aren't bisexuals or homos.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Divinity Original Sin is a great one, especially the turn-based combat.

I'd also recommend Divine Divinity (flawed gem, Diablo-style but I like the writing and it just has a lot of charm to it) and Divinity 2 (3D action, but has that goofy Larian charm again and I personally really like the art)

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
I think it works like GOG Fallouts and you can download or play only classic version if you buy EEs.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So my shitty PC bit the dust the other week, but before that I had an embarrassing amount of games in my backlog that I'm considering having a crack at once I get my new PC. I will list them, or alternatively, you can recommend something that isn't on the list of games. Basically, I'm sick of all of these new, flashy AAA games. They are boring as shit and cant seem to hold my attention. I just end up getting pissed off that I have wasted more money. I'm currently playing Wasteland 2 on the Xbox One (its actually a good port, unlike Origins on console back in the day) and so far I'm having a blast.

- Pillars of Eternity
- Baldur's Gate 1/2
- NWN 1/2
-Shadowrun Hong Kong
-Jade Empire
- Kotor 1/2
- Gothic series
- Planescape Torment
- Septerra Core

I'll note that i am moving away from 3D acting roleplaying games like the Witcher and Gothic, BioDrone games, etc and am falling in love with isometric and turn based.
Just don't play Bloodlines and Planetescape: Tournament. Terrible, terrible games.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Betrayal at Krondor.
Pool of Radiance.
Eye of the Beholder 1&2.
First Witcher in low isometric?
A few Jagged Alliances.

Last edited:

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

- Pillars of Eternity
- Baldur's Gate 1/2
- NWN 1/2
-Shadowrun Hong Kong
-Jade Empire
- Kotor 1/2
- Gothic series
- Planescape Torment
- Septerra Core

In this order:

1. The Void
2. Prelude to Darkness
3. Planescape Torment
4. Pathologic
5. Gothic
6. Gothic 2 + NotR
7. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
8. NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer (not OC, nope)
9. The Witcher 3
10. Cry for you have played all the best games and nothing will ever satisfy your hunger again.
11. Try to play Baldurs Gate
12. If you endure then BG2, if you do not endure - stop playing RPGs now
13. Jade Empire
14. NWN 2 OC, SoZ, MoW
15. Shadowrun Hong Kong
16. Doesn't matter, the rest you listed is shit

Donk

Novice
hai gize now taking recommendations for a new PC

Backlog:

Nethack
Temple of Apshai
Wizardry III

I forgot to add the first Ultima to my list. ;)

The purpose of creating this thread was hoping to either discover new rpgs to play or just to stick to the ones I already have, based on what I've enjoyed playing recently. It has nothing to do with buying a high end pc to run games that came out in the early 90's or whatever.

pippin

I've never actually played a Two Worlds game, but they certainly have a terrible reputation, what's so bad about them?

Depends on the one you're playing.

1 has relatively low production values, laughable voice acting, and iirc it doesn't even have lip sync. Other than that, the pace might be a bit weird. It's certainly a big game. Other than that, it has an interesting inventory system when you can upgrade your items and magic by stacking them instead of discarding everything you get. Don't know if there is any level scaling, but if there is, you don't notice it. You can't just wander around because enemies can one shot kill you (I think it's just like that with cyclops, and the best way to kill them is to summon some golems to fight them).
There are many, many factions in the world too, and while you can advance in most of them, I don't think you would really miss anything elevant because only the "bad" factions are locked away from you iirc.
Also, there's a lot of quirky details... like your sister being insanely hot (you must rescue her, I suspect your obligation goes beyond fraternal love), or the scarcity of women in many areas of the game, and when you find them, all of them just hate you.

All in all, it's a low budget Gothic, and you should play it if you know the Gothic games by heart already and want to try something different, but not that different.

Haven't played the second yet, but apparently it's linear and more boring than the first.

The steam versions have this really weird topware drm, so get them at gog if you don't want that.

Machine

Arbiter
Monster Girl Quest

...but seriously just play all the "classics" if you haven't, that will keep you busy for quite some time. I'd also play Pillars before any other IE games, might make it less dogshit bland that way, dunno.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
The hell you were doing on your old PC then if not playing old stuff and classics??
New PC? Better ask here cause there is no RPG that need powerful machine these days (except WL2 but that's unity garbage so ignore it).
Unless you count emulation but that would be cheating...

Self-Ejected

dream expert

Self-Ejected
am falling in love with isometric and turn based.

cd-5kyhaG8rU1tC05GvzmguEJ2HEu6HTK3jiOMilgUfg_jrIYz6r9WuV6HldSFG2Iw=h900

Geneforge
townentry.jpg

Donk

Novice
In this order:

1. The Void
2. Prelude to Darkness
3. Planescape Torment
4. Pathologic
5. Gothic
6. Gothic 2 + NotR
7. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
8. NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer (not OC, nope)
9. The Witcher 3
10. Cry for you have played all the best games and nothing will ever satisfy your hunger again.
11. Try to play Baldurs Gate
12. If you endure then BG2, if you do not endure - stop playing RPGs now
13. Jade Empire
14. NWN 2 OC, SoZ, MoW
15. Shadowrun Hong Kong
16. Doesn't matter, the rest you listed is shit

Cheers.
The hell you were doing on your old PC then if not playing old stuff and classics??
New PC? Better ask here cause there is no RPG that need powerful machine these days (except WL2 but that's unity garbage so ignore it).
Unless you count emulation but that would be cheating...

You don't wanna know. Really.. If you must know. I game across 4 platforms. 2 consoles, the PS Vita and my PC. On that PC I played the BioDrone games (minus DA: Abomination, which I had to get on console cause the pc could barely handle DA2 let alone that) I played Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun Dragonfall.. And there were more.

Yeah, I own WL2 on Xbox One. As well as DOS, those two couldn't run on the pc.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So my shitty PC bit the dust the other week, but before that I had an embarrassing amount of games in my backlog that I'm considering having a crack at once I get my new PC. .

BTW, can you build your own system? I think you could get a (partly second hand) rig running the games you mentioned for EUR 150 or so. Or 200 if you want an SSD. I have a 10 year old pc, that I've upgraded with a gpu (twice) and an SSD. It still runs pretty much everything I want to play.

Except for Space Engineers with planets.
:negative:

Ofc, if you going to get only new parts, this is a pretty much moot point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom