Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Get your JRPG fix with "LOST SPHEAR" from the I Am Setsuna makers... so far so JRPG.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
This is the second JRPG from these devs and it's essentially a Chrono Trigger budget clone. The battle system is basically a copy of the one from Chrono Trigger except it has incorporate a limited amount of "tactical" positioning and it is very welcome indeed! Supposedly some spells also change the battlefield or make special objects explode or change but I haven't gotten that far yet (no spells yet).

Here are about 9 minutes of me playing up until the very first battle encounter so you can all see for yourselves. So far I am enjoying it although it's quite saccharine:

EDIT: There is also rudimentary line-of-sight for attacks and spells. Honestly the combat is very enjoyable but it's too early to judge whether the encounter design will hold up or whether the game will consist of mashing Confirm key, regardless of the positioning and LoS layers.

The game is even more "sweet" and cute than I Am Setsuna though so set your expectations for what you're looking for accordingly. I personally don't mind though it's still way too early to judge.

EDIT 2x: And yes I realize I fucked up and did not record the audio. The OST is actually really good, as was the one for I Am Setsuna.

Here is another video from someone else on YouTube who didn't forget to record the audio:

Jinn

Arcane
Any challenge whatsoever to this? Setsuna was horribly disappointing on all fronts, but the battles were so easy I couldn't push myself any further through it. Never even considered playing this as a result.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Well this time around there are difficulty settings. I'm playing it on Hard and it is definitely more challenging than IAS. I would estimate that this Hard difficulty amounts to the standard default difficulty of yesteryear JRPGs.

jungl

Augur
seen more impressive rpg maker games. In fact short rpg maker game I made on ps2 was more interesting Town full of furries tell you go find their dildo in rat dungeon.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
For a few seconds there I wasn't sure if there was any audio in the first video since my brain was filling in the sounds, track included.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom