Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Get original Homeworld running on a widescreen resolution

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
There is no detailed guide on how to do this anywhere on the internet so I thought I might just post this here for future reference.
To get the original Homeworld as well as Homeworld Cataclysm running on widescreen resolutions (I have it set to 1920x1080 atm):

Step One: First you need to make sure you have the game running on OpenGL mode. If it says in game that the Display mode failed when you tried to change it to OpenGL, set the Homeworld or Homeworld Cataclysm shortcut or exe to run in Windows NT 4.0 Compatibility mode, then try to change it to OpenGL again.

Step Two: Once the display mode is set, open Regedit. If you have normal 32bit versions of windows it's simply type regedit in run or search, if you have a 64bit version of windows type in %systemroot%\syswow64\regedit, this is the 32-bit version of regedit. (Note: Fucking around with regedit could screw up your computer or game, I don't take any responsibility if you failed).

Step Three: Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Sierra On-Line/Homeworld OR Cataclysm depending on game.

Step Four: Right click on screenHeight ---> Modify and MAKE SURE you set the 'Base' to Decimal then enter the desired screen height e.g. 1080

Step Five: Right click on screenWidth ---> Modify and MAKE SURE you set the 'Base' to Decimal then enter the desired screen height e.g. 1920

Step Six: Same as Four and Five, set desired colour depth e.g. 16 or 32 bit (you can't change this in game)

Start the game and you should have HW running on your native resolution. If you have a flickering menu screen type in /triple for Homeworld or -triple for Cataclysm in the respective games shortcut. For Homeworld my one looks like this: C:\Sierra\Homeworld\homeworld.exe /heap 1073741824 /triple /disableavi

One problem with the original Homeworld, if the game is set to OpenGL mode, the 'beep' sound in the Tactical Sensor screen is very loud and annoying. If anyone has a fix for this please let me know.

Enjoy.

ever

Scholar
Aside from the anti-flickering the instructions seem the same

Thanks for the info, I had the problem with flickering last time I wanted to replay it and ended up just playing homeworld 2. I still never got past level 14 in the first game

Hory

Erudite
Emotional Vampire said:
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Are you poor or something?

Are you a fish or something?
Hermione_Epic_Win.jpg

aron searle

Arcane
Thread Necromancy.

I cannot get this bloody thing to work in wide-screen in windows 7.

When I set it to a wide-screen resolution, it runs in a kind of windowed mode (it's not actually a window, with the bar's etc).

My desktop resolution is 1920x1080, if I set it to 1600x900 then what I see is it taking up the top left side of the screen, so I can see the windows bar and the right side of my desktop. If I set it to 1920x1080, then it takes up 3/4 of the screen from the right, the last 1/4 being my desktop.

Ideas?

DraQ

Arcane
Thread Necromancy.

I cannot get this bloody thing to work in wide-screen in windows 7.

When I set it to a wide-screen resolution, it runs in a kind of windowed mode (it's not actually a window, with the bar's etc).

My desktop resolution is 1920x1080, if I set it to 1600x900 then what I see is it taking up the top left side of the screen, so I can see the windows bar and the right side of my desktop. If I set it to 1920x1080, then it takes up 3/4 of the screen from the right, the last 1/4 being my desktop.

Ideas?
Try other resolutions at desired aspect ratio, for example 1600x900 works perfectly for me, but 1920x1080 (my native resolution) leaves ugly black bar on the right side of the screen and makes main menu and its submenus unusable with mouse.

spekkio

Arcane
Oh yeah?

DraQ 45 minutes ago said:
It's not about running it in widescreen, but running it *AT ALL*.
It crashes the moment it attempts to go from menu to actually rendering an in-game scene IIRC.

DraQ 11 minutes ago said:
1600x900 works perfectly for me.

Make up your mind.

*Edit:

Again: you're talking about software renderer as well?

spekkio

Arcane
Both H1 and H:C use the same engine. Strange that you can run the 1st but not the expansion...

DraQ

Arcane
Oh yeah?

DraQ 45 minutes ago said:
It's not about running it in widescreen, but running it *AT ALL*.
It crashes the moment it attempts to go from menu to actually rendering an in-game scene IIRC.

DraQ 11 minutes ago said:
1600x900 works perfectly for me.

Make up your mind.
HW1 works fine in its original 4:3 and could be set to widescreen.

Cata refuses to run at all and crashes to desktop (actually as soon as it tries to enter the main menu, I remembered wrong).

Maybe you lrn2rd first?

spekkio

Arcane
For me, it crashes to desktop only when using Opengl renderer without a compatiblity mode.
But software and D3D both work out of the box.

At least the game you like more (H1) works, the other way around would be worse.

:)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom