Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Germans give us new Fallout: New Vegas Info

"We stick these chips inside you, and now you move faster"

Might as well make it magic, then.

but enhancing surgeries? They're all over the sci-fi genre.

The explanation usually isn't good enough, and ends up sounding like they just swapped "goat blood and magic" for "chips and surgery".

Angthoron

Arcane
Electric device stimulating an on-demand burst of production of a certain hormone? Adrenaline for physical performance, stuff for mental performance boosts? Suppose they're not "constantly on", but in games like, say, FO you don't actually know if they're permanently on anyway. They work when you need them, who's preventing you to suspend your disbelief to consider that it only kicks in when you need it?

And yeah, it's bad for you, but so is stimpack overdose and rad-X breakfast.

bhlaab

Erudite
Donkey Balls said:
Looks like it will be even easier to max out all skills now.

Well according to some russian mag they've re-added outdoorsman (as "survival" except its mostly about cooking food like in gothic)

Radisshu

Prophet
Clockwork Knight said:
FeelTheRads said:
Well, I guess we'll never agree on that. And it's too bad, I started to like you and I bet you have a nice Brazilian ass.

I just have trouble accepting that "it's a sci-fi setting so if we make up a sci-fi-like explanation it's alright" thinking.

Well, are you alright with energy weapons and brainbots, or do you want equally plausible explanations for them as well?

denizsi

Arcane
I hate how you assign points to stats and skills at character creation. You're magically creating a hero out of thin air. One moment you got a strength of 5 and next, 8 and this is without even starting to play the game. Might as well get a screen telling you game over as soon as you're finished with character creation. It's so limiting, so predetermining, it's so bad, they should just completely get rid of that shit.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
haven't most of you assholes done all your bitching about Sawyer's SPECIAL overhaul 8 years ago? are you all such newfags that this "all guns in one skill" is news?

also:

Xor said:
God dammit this game is going to piss me off.

you're going to play a game which you've already decided will piss you off? Great Job! the power of the Toddster is strong in you!

toddhead.png

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I probably won't play it, but the Codex is going to be talking about it for the next year.

Edit: also it makes me think about Van Buren and WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Radisshu said:
Well, are you alright with energy weapons and brainbots, or do you want equally plausible explanations for them as well?

Or the floating eyebots. How do they float?!

"Science!" is enough explanation for anything in Fallout, it's encompassed in its retro-setting. That doesn't excuse everything implausible, just things that are implausible within Science! Implants are a bit steampunky for me, but I can't say it absolutely doesn't fit.

Magic bobbleheads or poker chips definitely do not fit.

Considering we have the technology to genetically modify people into super mutants, I don't think minor physical augmentation is outside of the realm of possibility.

Radisshu said:
Clockwork Knight said:
FeelTheRads said:
Well, I guess we'll never agree on that. And it's too bad, I started to like you and I bet you have a nice Brazilian ass.

I just have trouble accepting that "it's a sci-fi setting so if we make up a sci-fi-like explanation it's alright" thinking.

Dunno...these things aren't related to the player so it doesn't come off as a cheap way to augment my skills with a "oh, it's science" excuse.

denizsi said:
I hate how you assign points to stats and skills at character creation. You're magically creating a hero out of thin air. One moment you got a strength of 5 and next, 8 and this is without even starting to play the game. Might as well get a screen telling you game over as soon as you're finished with character creation. It's so limiting, so predetermining, it's so bad, they should just completely get rid of that shit.

I don't understand. Isn't all character creation done before the game proper?

Clockwork Knight said:
denizsi said:

I don't understand. Isn't all character creation done before the game proper?

In fallout 3, you choose your stats while you are a baby. You can also re-choose your stats (and sex :incline: ) when you are grown up and leaving the vault for the first time.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
fyi, from the Bethtard forums:

J.E. Sawyer said:
Gun chat.

In 1997, I played the original Fallout. Like the games that followed it, Fallout had Small Guns, Big Guns, and Energy Weapons. In F1, the gun skills were designed for phased obsolescence. If you tagged Big Guns or Energy Weapons early on, you would not be able to gain much, if any, benefit from it for a long time. Even back then, I thought this was problematic. Before playing the game, players could not know how content would limit the applicability of weapons. Ultimately, it came down to three weapons: the minigun, rocket launcher, and flamer. Large, with heavy ammo, and either burst or AoE only. In Fallout 3, the list of Big Guns was expanded to include the fat man, rock-it launcher, and gatling laser. In most situations, these weapons were all still at least mid-power at their weakest. In talking to people in person and online, and in reading online commentary, I found that people were also still unclear on what marked the clear division between Small Guns and Big Guns (and even Energy Weapons, in the case of the Gatling Laser). Certainly the UI could be improved to help with this (something we have already done for F:NV), but it conceptually was a sticking point.

When I was looking at Big Guns for F:NV, I considered that the list of weapons was small compared to any other weapon category and several of the weapons arguably belonged (or at least could be easily categorized) elsewhere. Moving the Big Guns to different weapon skills and dissolving the Big Guns skill would allow weapons like the minigun to remain as a powerful top tier weapon without needing to invent low-tier "Big Guns" that might further confuse the dividing line. Coming up with a wide power spectrum of Guns, Energy Weapons, and Explosives would not be hard at all. Since our skill point economy is more frugal (I'll delve into this another time) and since we do have Strength requirements on weapons (resulting in increased sway for firearms and a decreased rate of fire for melee/unarmed), where you invest your skill points and SPECIAL points is still pretty important. A fully upgraded minigun wielded by a character with high Guns and high Strength cuts down rooms of people like a scythe, even at relatively long range. In the hands of an unskilled, low Strength character, it sprays a lot of bullets all over the place.

The exact categorization of weapons in F:NV isn't rooted in the logic of transferable skills from real life, but it's arguable they never were previously, either (missile launcher/flamer/minigun, for example). The categorizations have more to do with being clear and consistent with definitions. It follows this basic pattern:

* Does it explode? It's an Explosive.
* Does it use Small Energy Cells, Microfusion Cells, or other energy ammo? It's an Energy Weapon.
* Does it use conventional bullets of some flavor as ammo? It's a Gun.

So while it's accurate to say that Big Guns no longer exists as a category, it's not accurate to say that Big Guns and Small Guns were combined. The weapons in Big Guns were divided among the other weapon skills.

I know not everyone will be happy with this re-organization, but those are the reasons for the change. I hope the reasons are clear, even if you disagree with the decision. Thanks.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
which, if i remember reading correctly will be put into explosives along with the fat-man and other retardo weapons which 'splode.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I really, really, really don't like the idea of merging the waffen skills. As much as I can understand merging small/big guns with their respective small/big energy weapons, merging small and big guns makes a little less sense to me, and adding an equals sign between a rocket launcher and a grenade is idiotic.

yaster

Liturgist
Why?

The only reason I can come up with to have distinction between big/small guns is that's how it was done before. Weak.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
and adding an equals sign between a rocket launcher and a grenade is idiotic.

Weren't axes blunt weapons in Oblivion? Seems like the same "design philosophy" to me.

rpg.jpg

yaster

Liturgist
FeelTheRads said:
* Does it explode? It's an Explosive.

This just in: Rocket Launchers explode!!!

From the thing that Sawyer written I can see that skills are divided by what kind of ammo is being used. Rockets/energy cells/bullets. It might shock you but rockets do explode. Yeah, I know, whooaa! who would have thought!

You may want to upgrade your witty statement. Like to something about skilz being required to shoot weapons not to carry ammunition.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
yaster said:
Why?

The only reason I can come up with to have distinction between big/small guns is that's how it was done before. Weak.

Compare using single shots/short bursts to carefully snipe faggots with light firearms like pistols or an assault/sniper rifle, and the 'MOW DOWN EVERYTHING IN SIGHT' attitude of, for example, a gatling.

FeelTheRads said:
Weren't axes blunt weapons in Oblivion? Seems like the same "design philosophy" to me.

It's even less sensical than that because axes and hammers have a similar way of usage.

FeelTheRads said:

An ingame book says that axes aren't really blunt, but it's also a "shafted" weapon and so it's lumped into the same group.

fakedit: found it

http://www.imperial-library.info/obbook ... arms.shtml

Obviously, a soldier's weaponry should reflect his skills. Skill with a blade is recommended for daggers, shortswords, longswords, and claymores. Skill with blunt weapons is desirable to wield the war axe, mace, battle axe and war hammmer. To the uninitiated, axes and hammers may seem to be very different weapons, but the rhythm, drill, and physical strength used by both weapon types are virtually identical.

since I never wielded an axe, I don't know it this is balls or not (it probably is)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom