Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Germans give us new Fallout: New Vegas Info

ScottishMartialArts said:
Dicksmoker said:
KalosKagathos said:
- The small and big weapons skills are merged into one weapon skill.
- Every weapon that made some asplozions before (like the rocket launcher or FatMan), are now in the skill category Explosives.
These two just scream Sawyer.
Why is that?

It's very reminiscent of the approach he took towards the skill system in Van Buren. He would give elaborate explanations of his rationale on the old BIS forums, and the community would get into vigorous debates with him.

To expand on this for Dicksmoker:

He wanted to put all three weapons skills (Small, Big and Energy) into a single skill called Firearms. But then he would have also split Speech into two parts named Diplomacy and Deceive. So less emphasis on combat, more on various methods of solving your problem other than 'bullet to the brain'.

This info I attribute to Lexx and sarfa on NMA.

random_encounter

Educated
Overweight Manatee said:
Jason said:
Something like Bobbleheads will be in New Vegas as well and it will boost players stats. What it will be exactly isn't known yet.

Please, for the love of god just call them implants and make them installable by doctors for a sizable fee. Its not that hard to make this not silly. The bobbleheads really aren't that big of a bother to me, but why would you do something so stupid when it could be easily made to fit into the game?
Well, they didn't say yet that they were going to BE bobbleheads, but I hope it's something that makes a lot more sense than magic bobbleheads or a Vault jumpsuit improving your melee skill because...it's made from fabric that breathes easily? For all we know, they might actually do something like the implant or skill chips idea...something that makes sense than in catering to casuals that cry foul against the implications of actually having to work an extra step in creating an uber build such as finding someone with the skill (along with being able to have the caps) to actually do the operation with possible complications.

I thought the bobbleheads in FO3 represented something of a lost opportunity to do something more interesting such as introduce the player to an additional side quest or story arc within the main game. Something other than magically improving your abilities by simply locating one. Then again, Bethesda did rush their own ending material.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
If you're going to implement implants they should come with some kind of restriction in order to make them plausible. The Mr. Robotos, plasma rifles, computers and power armors already push the setting somewhat, if you can fathom the idea of the BoS making these huge, miracle-like advances in technology. Are these things so common by now that nobody looks twice at them?

1eyedking

Erudite
KalosKagathos said:
- The small and big weapons skills are merged into one weapon skill.
- Every weapon that made some asplozions before (like the rocket launcher or FatMan), are now in the skill category Explosives.
These two just scream Sawyer.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh noes! My game has some stupid little changes!
Looks like fans of the old series are not happy with the changes, just like many consumer products. :lol:

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Gay. The explosives makes sense but I would think they would go even further with subdividing the weapons skills like pistols, shotguns, automatics, sniper rifle etc. since small guns is always the most useful skill in Fallout.

The bobbleheads aren't any more welcome this time around than they were in FO3, for me. Collecting them was cute but the stat bonuses were stupid. As least a mod will come out to change that quickly.

Mighty Mouse said:
Looks like fans of the old series are not happy with the changes, just like many consumer products. :lol:

Problem is, small guns was already a "no-brainer" skill (unless you were specifically making a melee character). Now that it includes some of the bigger guns too, you'll have to refrain from putting points into it too early lest you become a killing machine.

Clockwork Knight said:
Mighty Mouse said:

Problem is, small guns was already a "no-brainer" skill (unless you were specifically making a melee character). Now that it includes some of the bigger guns too, you'll have to refrain from putting points into it too early lest you become a killing machine.

From the sound of it, the only Big guns that will be added to Small guns (or what I assume will be renamed just to guns or somesuch) is the minigun. The rest of the big guns group is rocket launchers, bigger rocket launchers, and flamers (which I'm guessing fit better in explosives but what do I know). So honestly I don't see the Gun skill becoming more useful, its more like big guns and explosives are combined into a skill that might deserve a few points instead of maxing small guns ASAP.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Omigod they made up a shitty explanation instead of no explanation at all you should be thankful

I don't know... surgeries that affect your abilities in a sci-fi setting seem to me like more than just a shitty explanation, especially compared to keeping fucking bobbleheads in your pockets.

Not only that, but they took time to do (and in Fallout 1 that was important) and they cost quite a lot. And if I remember correctly, in Fallout 2 the computer didn't stick the chips in you, but actually you put the chips in the computer so he knows how to do the surgery.

StrangeCase

Educated
But will it let you create your own experiences and stories?

I don't know... surgeries that affect your abilities in a sci-fi setting seem to me like more than just a shitty explanation, especially compared to keeping fucking bobbleheads in your pockets.

You don't even keep them in your pockets, IIRC. They magically warp to your house once they've bestowed their permanent upgrade.

StrangeCase

Educated
I haven't played the game since it came out, but I remember them just teleporting themselves... even if they don't, I'm 99% sure you retain the bonuses.

EDIT: Checked with a guide, I guess you do have to place them on the stand. Where they continue to impart their bonuses via some mysterious link. Maybe it's a psychosomatic thing.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Each bobblehead comes with a few words of wisdom, and these words no doubt inspire your character to become a better person. The Charisma one reminds you to smile, for instance, thus imparting one of the secrets to being more likable.

aries202

Erudite
A little while ago, I saw a tv-program about how the (US) soldier might look in the future. And I was like this ---- and then i said to myself: Hello Master Chief (from halo). The soldier looked just like Master Chief, exo-skeleton, visir, and gun.

The point it this:
Implants that make you stronger or more dextrous might well be available in the future.

Angthoron

Arcane
At least we have the tech for Charisma implants available to us already.

FeelTheRads said:
Omigod they made up a shitty explanation instead of no explanation at all you should be thankful

Not only that, but they took time to do (and in Fallout 1 that was important) and they cost quite a lot. And if I remember correctly, in Fallout 2 the computer didn't stick the chips in you, but actually you put the chips in the computer so he knows how to do the surgery.

Still sounds shitty to me. Just because it's better than lolmagic (bobbleheads) doesn't mean it's good.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, I guess we'll never agree on that. And it's too bad, I started to like you and I bet you have a nice Brazilian ass.

Radisshu

Prophet
Surgical procedures that improve your stats are somewhat believeable in a sci-fi setting. At least for strength, perception, agility and endurance. Possibly intelligence. But charisma? Eh.

Angthoron

Arcane
FeelTheRads said:
But charisma? Eh.

At least we have the tech for Charisma implants available to us already.

Plastic surgery? Keep in mind that Charisma in Fallout also meant physical aspect.

In fact, you could say it only meant physical aspect.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Charisma

Well, I was mostly regarding silicon front-end and back-end implants actually, mainly as a bit of a sarcastic remark. Although I bet it's easier to persuade someone while jiggling huge boobs in front of their face. So there's charisma implants to you!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
FeelTheRads said:
Well, I guess we'll never agree on that. And it's too bad, I started to like you and I bet you have a nice Brazilian ass.

I just have trouble accepting that "it's a sci-fi setting so if we make up a sci-fi-like explanation it's alright" thinking.

Why? Seems entirely reasonable to me. I can't see anything absurd about enhancing surgeries.

This is not "ITS SCIFI SO U CAN HAEV CARS EPLOADING IN NUKULAR EXPLOASINS". I have trouble with explaining everything with "it's sci-fi" too, and if I'm not mistaken Bethard apologists were excusing "magical" clothing with this too, but enhancing surgeries? They're all over the sci-fi genre.

Unless I don't understand exactly what's your problem with them...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom