Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Gentleman's Bitter - A Tale of Sophistication

Discussion in 'SCIENCE!!' started by Nael, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Make America Great Again Nael Arcane

Nael
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    All of the talk about drugs and shit put me in the mood to brew some beer this week. Considering it's shit outside and I'm not working this month I needed something to do other than waste my time here. Fortunately for all you bastards, I took pictures. So in the spirit of Jaesun's taco pizza party I am making this thread for you: My bros.

First we start with my grain bill and schedule:

This beer is based upon Walkersan's Gruagach 80 Shilling Ale

I call it "A Gentleman's Bitter". Cuz all you guys are gentlemen. :obviously:
    Code:
    Grain Bill
        * 6.00 lbs Light Pilsen DME (Dry Malt Extract)
        * 1.00 lb Crystal 80L
        * 1.00 lb Brown sugar
        * 8.00 oz Melanoidin Malt
        * 4.00 oz Peated Malt
        * 2.00 oz Black Patent
        * 5.00 oz Aromatic Malt

Hop Schedule (goal is approximately 45 IBUs)
        * 1.50 oz EK Goldings @ 90 minutes
        * 0.50 oz Willamette @ 30 minutes

Yeast
        * 1 quart starter of Wyeast 1728 - Scottish Ale

Misc
        * Some amount of caramelization is desired in this beer. Remove a few pints of the first runnings of the wort and and reduce it in a saucepan while you are boiling the rest of the wort. Add this reduction back to the kettle a few minutes before flame out.
        * For beers like this I also throw in about 1lb of brown sugar.  Gives it a good toffee like flavor and I think it's truer to the style than the original recipe I linked to.

First we start first with 6 gallons of shit Indiana tap water
    [​IMG]

Next we bust out our grains
    [​IMG]

We stick those grains in a moslin bag and pitch it into the kettle of water that after 45 fucking minutes is finally ~150F
    [​IMG]

Now let's take an inventory of our goods. The green things are hop pellets. No, they're not weed. The bags of white stuff is my DME. No, it's not cocaine. The bag of brown stuff is the brown sugar. No, it's not heroin. Looks like a damn party though, huh? I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to prowl outside of high schools to try and make a quick buck with this stuff. And the hops actually do really smell like good weed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moving along. I let my grains steep in the kettle for 45 mins @ 150F. It looks like a really thick tea or soy sauce now. I pick up the moslin bag and let the excess water drain out. My water is now wort. Baby beer tea.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can't forget to put a couple pints of the wort into a sauce pan and reduce it for an extra concentrated kick of malt flavor. I let it simmer for the whole remainder of the brewing process until flame out in 90 mins from now.
    [​IMG]

I bring my brew up a boil and dump in my DME and my hops. It looks like a fucking milkshake! Mmmmmm!!!
    [​IMG]

After an hour of boiling, I throw in my aroma hops (Willamette)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Flame out approaches and I've pitched in my wort reduction and I'm ready to chill this motherfucker down quick. The longer it sits at temperatures below ~100F without yeast in it, the more chance I have of getting a nasty bacterial growth in the beer. You don't want that. The yeast won't grow and no fermentation will occur. Or at the very least your beer will have off flavors. Some are good however, and encouraged. A lot of Belgians like this sort of thing. But Belgians are fags and we should leave them well alone.

I have setup a wort chiller. It takes water from the cold inlet for my washing machine. Ingenious. I know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It generally takes 1.5-2 hours for the 6 gallons of wort to get down to 65F so that I can pitch my yeast. Now I siphon the wort outta my kettle into the fermentor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided instead to put the wort into a glass carboy so I could keep you guys updated on what it looks like throughout the process.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  2. Zed Only played through AoD once

Zed
    Parrots:
    Hmmm! Looks interesting.

You should create a codexian print label for your bottles.

^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Nael Arcane

Nael
    Parrots:
    Good idea! I'm not much of an artist though. I've made labels before, but they've always been pretty amateurish.

I'm open to suggestions though :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    Just ask racofer to make one.

^ Top  
  5. denizsi Arcane

denizsi
    Parrots:
    Enjoy your drug & estrogen cocktail. Might as well the name the product "Elixir of Bitter Trannification".

It looks more like dish water.

^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again Nael Arcane

Nael
    Parrots:
    I still like "A Gentleman's Bitter". It's not my fault you don't get it. :obviously:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Merkwürdigliebe Arcane

Merkwürdigliebe
    Parrots:
    This thread certainly is worth a few Kodex Kool Kredits. :salute:

^ Top  
  8. Dyskolos Cipher

Dyskolos
    Parrots:
    I'm jealous. I keep wanting to homebrew but can't work up the time or energy.

Use the codex pitchfork mob on the labels. it would wrap nicely around the bottles

^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Nael Arcane

Nael
    Parrots:
    It's super easy. It just takes a bit of patience, time, and about $200US in equipment to get started (including ingredients for your first beer ~$40-50)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Luigi Barely Literate

Luigi
    Parrots:
    Damn, beer is complicated.

Zero flavor 40+% stuff is cheap and easy and more efficient at doing what it is supposed to do. Actually its not without flavor. Au contraire it fucking stinks to heavens after the first few distillations.

горілка з перцем :salute:

^ Top  
  11. Exmit Scholar

Exmit
    Parrots:
  12. Crispy The Sum of All Evils Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Parrots:
    Or you could just pick up a sixpack of Bud.

Nah, that's actually pretty cool. I don't think I'd drink it, but good luck.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Nice Nael! I was always curious what went into making a home made beer.

^ Top  
  14. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Parrots:
    Seems way more complicated than home wine but I :salute: your effort. How's the taste?

^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again Nael Arcane

Nael
    Parrots:
    I haven't had a bad beer out of about 15 I've made over the past year or so. I should've also mentioned that I brew in a style known as extract brewing. It's the easier version that you can do entirely on your stove top. Then there's all-grain brewing where you mash grains by hand in a large container (usually a 10+ gallon converted cooler). The only thing this replaces in my style of brewing is the DME I had in my recipe. If I did all-grain I would have more control over the color and OG (original gravity. related to ABV). Some would say taste, but if you know what you're doing with extracts you can get just as good tasting beer. All-grain brewing takes far more space than I have in my apartment and a gas line too for more control over temperatures. When I finally buy a house I'll be able to step up to that level. A friend of mine brews like this though, and honestly I can't tell a difference in taste and neither can he. Sometimes if we're doing a lighter brew like a lager or a wheat beer you can see differences in color and mouth feel but the end result in the wort where you get all your flavor from is negligible.

And honestly I think it is damn near impossible to make an undrinkable beer. A bad beer yes, but everything I have ever made was drinkable and what I would call palatable. Only two beers I've ever made tasted like horse piss. Both were wheat beers. Wheat is a very, very temperamental grain. The other grains like malted barley and rye are very hardy and translate flavor well to boiling for long periods of time.

PS - Most of beers I make are something I would definitely be proud to sell in a restaurant or store. Homemade beer is fucking killer brew +90% of the time I'd guess.

PSS - The Gentleman's Bitter will probably come in at about 8.5-9% alcohol and taste something akin to an English Bitter or a Bamberg Rauchbier (smoke beer). Depends on how much the peated malt flavor comes through. It has a very smokey aroma.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Undead Phoenix Arcane

Undead Phoenix
    Parrots:
    This thread makes me remember that in our biology class there was one night where we brewed our own beer. Wouldn't trust it to be drinkable, but then again - who knows.

Am very tempted to follow the paths of my uncle and travel across America when/if I pass my degree. Would also need to pass my bike test - but that's the beauty of it.

Try a pint of it and tell us how it tastes :M

^ Top  
  17. Make America Great Again Nael Arcane

Nael
    Parrots:
    Nah. Yeast is a very hardy organism and does most of the work for you. You just need to give it a good soup to eat and then defecate in. How long did you let your beer ferment? Did you carbonate it as well?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    Parrots:
    Looks good. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again Nael Arcane

Nael
    Parrots:
    :salute:

Thank you kindly good sir!

Just since I started this thread we've got krausen developing. If you look at the last picture i submitted with the title placard there was a small amount of foam at the edges of the beer. Now a nice foamy head is forming. In the next few days I imagine it will be covering most of the inside of the top of the carboy.
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Undead Phoenix Arcane

Undead Phoenix
    Parrots:
    No carbonation and maybe only an hour of fermentation - it was just to show us how it was done. The techniques are the same even if the complexity is increased - but, of course, all of the flavour comes from how it is brewed.

A good bitter is something to be savoured - I haven't found much else in life that can match it - a good pint really makes my day, even if everything else has gone to hell.

^ Top  
  21. Sub Magister

Sub
    Parrots:
    It looks like a lot of work. Is it worth it taste and cost wise?

^ Top  
  22. Make America Great Again Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Parrots:
    For starters, you always may drop DME and all this shit. I spent $1 on my first attempt at brewing and malted the barley myself. This is really easy.

^ Top  
  23. Trash Don't trust the grinning loon.

Trash
    Parrots:
    This thread makes me all the more appreciative that I can walk down to the store and get to choose from a startling array of quality beers for little money and hardly any effort. Living next to Belgium does have its merits.

Nice to see homebrewing in action though. Always wondered how that works.

^ Top  
  24. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    Parrots:
    So when do you add the mescaline?

^ Top  
  25. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    :yeah:

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)