Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Genre defining RPGs 2005-2012

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The best part of official NWN1 was the first mega-dungeon level in Hordes of the Underdark, which hosted traps, teleports, secret doors and just lots to discover and variable enemies to fight. It's a classic, traditional crawl that I really enjoyed.

But NWN1 is all about the mods, stuff like Hex Coda 01 is exemplary and embarrasses commercial devs. The Henchman AI mod amps up tactics and the Creature I, II, III line of mods improve enemy models so it doesn't look like someone did a shit on your screen.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
You need a mod for your post because as it stands it looks like someone shit on my screen.

(nothing personal but it was too easy to pass up. :D )

DemonKing

Arcane
"The Original Legends of Grimrock came out in 2012 too I believe."

That game is complete shit.

The good news is you'll always have the NWN OC to go back to when you feel that way about a game Magical Volo...

RandomAccount

Genre declining RPGs 2005-2012 more like.

And Volourn's right as usual :)

Hakuroshi Johnson is right that Volourn Johnson is right!

What about the Tumble Mechanic then guys/esses?

I was watching a Let's Play on Youtube the other day of some guy playing a generic path-runner and he kept trying to Tumble even though the game wouldn't permit it, just because Tumbling had become such an auto-reaction for him. His character spent a lot of time walking around as if it had a limp as the character kept dropping it's shoulder to no effect.

Could we define the 2005-2012 period as the 'Tumble Era'?

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Well, most gaming sites and game journos will tell you that Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Dark Souls are the best RPGs of the past decade. We know they're talking shit.

My picks for 5 best RPGs since 2005:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords (PC version released in 2005)
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Fallout New Vegas

My early picks for 2013+

Age of Decadence
Wasteland 2 (playing through it now)
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Pillars of Eternity
Dead State (hopefully)
The Witcher 3

We've got a lot of good stuff coming up.

No Risen 1?

Deleted member 7219

Well, most gaming sites and game journos will tell you that Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Dark Souls are the best RPGs of the past decade. We know they're talking shit.

My picks for 5 best RPGs since 2005:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords (PC version released in 2005)
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Fallout New Vegas

My early picks for 2013+

Age of Decadence
Wasteland 2 (playing through it now)
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Pillars of Eternity
Dead State (hopefully)
The Witcher 3

We've got a lot of good stuff coming up.

No Risen 1?

Risen 1 is an excellent game (despite the final act), but it does not merit a place in my top 5 compared to those that did.

Amn Nom

Learned
Oblivion, Dragon Age: Origins, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Dragon Age 2, Risen 2, Gothic 4 ,and every Jeff Vogel game.

Serious answers:
Mask of the Betrayer: Its Torment in 3.5, nothing else to really say.
Witcher 2: Not the game itself, but rather the fact that it was a AAA RPG that had two distinct paths that offer different perspectives. In an age where developers are afraid to make optional content because players may skip it I thought the move was great.
New Vegas: So much well written C&C. Plus with mods the game is actually fun to play.
Demon Souls: First Souls game, and had an amazing atmosphere.

Ebonsword

Arcane
2005-2012 are not genre defining years.This happened:

a) watering down the genre with action/twitch elements
b) making the borders of the CRPG genre fuzzy by creating CRPG hybrids (=games with some CRPG elements)

Adding action elements doesn't *have* to be a bad thing. The problem is that so few games do it well.

I think Dragon's Dogma is a good example of how fun an ARPG with a well-designed combat system can actually be.

RandomAccount

No sidewinding, bushwhacking, hornswaggling, cracker-crocker is going to ruin my biscuit cutter!

Does the Risen series use the Tumble mechanic?

Which are the games that people have mentioned in this thread which use the Tumble mechanic?

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
2005-2012: Good for what it is era.

Not only did games decline, but also the standards of the fine gentlemen playing them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom