Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Geneforge

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Jeff Vogel should make a game like Geneforge but instead of shaping retarded play-doh creatures you play as a necromancer and summon skeletons and wights and shit. It would probably sell better than remaking the same game for the third or fourth time.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Geneforge was just terrible. I don't know why anyone would like the series, or even want to represent it in any way. The art was so terrible too, I don't even know why we have avatars from the series on the Codex. Just a disgrace.

pippin

Jeff Vogel should make a game like Geneforge but instead of shaping retarded play-doh creatures you play as a necromancer and summon skeletons and wights and shit. It would probably sell better than remaking the same game for the third or fourth time.

21729.jpg

NeonHydra

Literate
Well, probably you right. But then all uniqueness of setting wii be lost.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I want to give Geneforge-Saga a try, but I saw that Vogel also made Avernum and Avadon. Which of these three series would you say is the best? Geneforge seems to have the most original premise, as far as I can see.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
Geneforge. But maybe you should hold on with a playthrough - he's probably working on a remaster of Geneforge 1.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Geneforge. But maybe you should hold on with a playthrough - he's probably working on a remaster of Geneforge 1.

Thank you. He did a few remakes, didn't he? What could I expect from a remake? The same game as before, but with better graphics or a game with more content?

Sizzle

Arcane

Thank you. He did a few remakes, didn't he? What could I expect from a remake? The same game as before, but with better graphics or a game with more content?

It's probably going to be like his Avernum remakes, so - slightly better graphics and a few minor additions to the story and game mechanics. But nothing major. In essence, it's just a graphics overhaul for modern systems tablets :)

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
It's probably going to be like his Avernum remakes, so - slightly better graphics and a few minor additions to the story and game mechanics. But nothing major. In essence, it's just a graphics overhaul for modern systems tablets :)

Hmm, wasn't 4/5 the one with the really good story and the mechanics? Starting right at the beginning is fine and well, but if the writing is as good, as I read, maybe I give it a try and take the risk for losing my eyes, while looking at the graphics :D.

Sizzle

Arcane

Hmm, wasn't 4/5 the one with the really good story and the mechanics? Starting right at the beginning is fine and well, but if the writing is as good, as I read, maybe I give it a try and take the risk for losing my eyes, while looking at the graphics :D.

The first Geneforge is probably the best one. But if graphics are an issue, you could always try Geneforge 5, it's also very good :)

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
The first Geneforge is probably the best one. But if graphics are an issue, you could always try Geneforge 5, it's also very good :)

I will just wait and see. I can buy all of them at GOG and I will see if I can see, if I find more reviews on the games. How is game length by the way? 30 hours? And do the games have different endings like Fallout?

Sizzle

Arcane

I will just wait and see. I can buy all of them at GOG and I will see if I can see, if I find more reviews on the games. How is game length by the way? 30 hours? And do the games have different endings like Fallout?

Don't remember the game length, but yeah, they have different endings :)

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Don't listen to him, he seeks to poison your mind! Geneforge 1 is perfectly playable, it's quite beautiful, in fact.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Avernum 1 > Avadon 1 > Geneforge 1

Geneforge has some quite major annoyances: The sounds are terrible and over-repetitive with extremely short loops, You can make up to 8 creations but the 8 can only be a mix of three different types, the creation levelling system is borked, lack of interesting variety in encounters and those encounters are quite annoyingly closely separated making you have a fight, move two inches then have another fight, move two inches, have another fight with barely any tactical consideration to their formations and strengths, and only 3 different character classes.

However, it does have the most unique gameworld of the three and the best C&C with some very interesting labyrinths to navigate/puzzle out. For some these traits are rare enough to cancel out the above, but not enough for me. I'm glad I played it though, it does leave a very memorable impression. I'd recommend Avernum 1 as the best place to start with his games.

Johannes

Arcane
He's doing Avernum3 remake first, then probably something different, and maybe then GF1 remake. So it's gonna be a while until that happens.

Leitz

Learned
I played Geneforge 1 not long ago. I bought the whole series for 5 bucks on steam and damn was it worth it. The game has such a nice unique setting that I personally rank it up there with Fallout 1. A good RPG setting means that you fight spiders, snakes and scorpions but never question it. Combat was a little bit too much toward the end, but that's normal.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Geneforge has some quite major annoyances: The sounds are terrible and over-repetitive with extremely short loops

The sounds are terrible in all Spiderweb games and there is no music at all so you should play them with sound switched off and music running in the background anyway.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Geneforge has some quite major annoyances: The sounds are terrible and over-repetitive with extremely short loops

The sounds are terrible in all Spiderweb games and there is no music at all so you should play them with sound switched off and music running in the background anyway.

Thanks for solving that micro-point, that micro-point now ceases to be an issue now that you've explained a work-around I never would have thought of. In all seriousness, I can cope with the sounds in both Avernum and Avadon, the ones that really grated me in Geneforge were unique to Geneforge, hence I bring it up as a point (one of many) as to why I disliked Geneforge compared to the other games. The first really annoying sound effect is this woman shouting sound effect while walking round any habitation "Ha-barble-bar-baaar" that repeats every few seconds and makes you want to find the option to turn off that one effect as you desperately try to speed up any town activity to get away from it and the second is a fingernails on blackboards scrapping sound which occurs with the same frequency. I've no idea what kind of ears Vogel has, but that scraping sound nearly drove me insane. Its not like sound effects are even difficult things to sort out.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just turn off the music and listen to something loud like powerwolf or audiomachine .By the way spiderweb games are really fun to me and don't mind being the same game over and over.After all isn't that the mantra of the codex?Wanting the old and tested to return in new form.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I played Geneforge 1 not long ago. I bought the whole series for 5 bucks on steam and damn was it worth it. The game has such a nice unique setting that I personally rank it up there with Fallout 1. A good RPG setting means that you fight spiders, snakes and scorpions but never question it. Combat was a little bit too much toward the end, but that's normal.
Have you started on G2 already? I also thought this was an amazing deal. Still, I discovered had to wait quite a bit before I tackled the next part of the series :)

Leitz

Learned
Have you started on G2 already? I also thought this was an amazing deal. Still, I discovered had to wait quite a bit before I tackled the next part of the series :)
Same here.

BTW the soundtrack is shit YES, now get over it. While playing I listened to a soundtrack from a game called "Age of Wonders", that I've never even heard of before. It fit somehow. Usually musicless games make me find good OST's on youtube, which is a little bonus on the side.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
When playing Spiderweb games I just put the Schubert Complete Symphonies looping in the background. Somehow it's a perfect fit for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom