Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Geneforge

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Right, so I tried the Geneforge V demo when it came out, and I rather enjoyed it. I'm thinking of getting into the series for realz now that I have time, but I wan't to know if I should start with the first one and work my way up from there or just grab the latest one and go with that. I know you don't need prior experience with Geneforge to get into the fifth one, but apparently the story is pretty good and I wouldn't want to miss out on it if it's worth a damn.
Comments? Suggestions?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I 'demoed' it but wasn't very impressed honestly. Spells are boring, summon system is also boring and uninspired, combat is, well You can guess. The world is kind of nice and dialogues are cool too, but I couldnt stand it over all of that filler combat.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, I have no idea about the later parts because I didn't have the time to play them, but Geneforge 1 was awesome. Interesting exploration and choices. Wouldn't want anyone to miss it, although perhaps people more experienced with the saga will be able to say if the later titles aren't just "more of the same"...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I played the Geneforge demo. The world and dialogues were pretty interesting, graphics were horrible and the price tag was too high for me.

I wanted to play the demo again, but it doesn't work correctly on Wine.

Malakal said:
I 'demoed' it but wasn't very impressed honestly. Spells are boring, summon system is also boring and uninspired, combat is, well You can guess. The world is kind of nice and dialogues are cool too, but I couldnt stand it over all of that filler combat.
It doesn't have filler combat.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Malakal said:

Oh please, like every single enemy in every single location is necessarily and important. There is just too much of monsters to fight and that is it.

Lets see the Geneforge 5 starting area: You awaken, fight monsters, talk, fight more monsters, talk, fight even more monsters, fight boss monster, move on to the next location. Combat filled to maximum. Then there is that Spire and more more monsters everywhere. In the fucking palace of one of the most powerful mages around. MONSTERS.

Malakal said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Malakal said:

Oh please, like every single enemy in every single location is necessarily and important.
It's not filler combat when you don't have to engage the monsters. Fool.

Nim

Augur
Stay away from GF 3, it is really bland and boring.
I'd say start with the first one, it has the best exposition to the setting even though it gets really really combat heavy in the northern part of the island.

Oh and combat in the earlier Geneforges is a bit more deadly iirc. In GF 5 you have a lot more HPs at the same levels and melee got nerfed somewhere along GF3 too I think ? Basically in GF1 and 2 if you can reach it in melee in one round it is dead ^^
And have fun with the old AP system where you need 5 AP for an attack
:D

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Haven't played V beyond the demo area, but my favorite game of the series so far is II by a pretty wide margin. Liked the faction play the best in that game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I tried the demo of GF1, but for some reason I get these weird slowdowns when playing it. It's annoying and enough to put me off from playing. Shame. I'll have to try the other ones and see if they have the same slowdown stuff.

ElectricOtter

Hobo Elf said:
I tried the demo of GF1, but for some reason I get these weird slowdowns when playing it. It's annoying and enough to put me off from playing. Shame. I'll have to try the other ones and see if they have the same slowdown stuff.
What OS are you running? I haven't tried it on 7 yet but it works fine on XP.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
ElectricOtter said:
Hobo Elf said:

I'm using vistaids, which my very well be the whole reason for my problem (as it usually is).

Aikanaro

Liturgist
Start with #1. #2 is probably the best. #3 is shit - don't bother. #4 is about the same level as #2. #5 I didn't enjoy quite as much (and still haven't quite finished), but it's still good.

I think it's a good idea to play them in order (skipping #3) - as the story goes on the situation escalates, and that's always a nice feeling. It's a long, slow build up.

ElectricOtter

Hobo Elf said:
ElectricOtter said:
Hobo Elf said:

I'm using vistaids, which my very well be the whole reason for my problem (as it usually is).
Yep, probably your problem.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Playing Geneforge 1 for the first time was a cool and novel experience. I managed to finish the second one over a long time period, but my interest dropped sharply after I realised Vogel was going to use the same formula over and over. No point in playing more than one of them unless you really have the time, but you'd do yourself a disservice not trying them (yeah I totally said that with a straight face). Knowing that, I'd go with the first one even if its mechanics are more dated, maybe I'm biased because I had the best experience with it but it seems like the logical move to take.

Antigoon

Augur
I finally decided to give this a try. Didn't progress far as for some reason some text is cut. Is that a known issue? I suppose that all text in the game is presented in these boxes?

1JBWkNW.png

Also: Really no more recent geneforge thread?

Nim

Augur
Not a known issue with the game. I'd guess related to that abortion of a UI you are using. And people say the original one was fugly +M

Doktor Best

Arcane
Do you use the original resolution stretched (as the game recommends when you start it up)?

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
I finally decided to give this a try. Didn't progress far as for some reason some text is cut. Is that a known issue?
Are you using Linux? If yes, it's a known issue and nothing can be done about it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom