Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Gemini Rue

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by MapMan, Jan 12, 2011.

1. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    So on the recommendations of various folks around these parts and the controversy with MRY's ludonarrative dissonance point I finally got around to playing the game.

Nuernberger's plot was decent and competent, but not as outstanding as it was made out to be, at least to a genre/trope-savvy careful reader like myself. Seems like a lot of praise is directed at the plot twist finale where everything gets neatly wrapped up, but I saw it coming from the very beginning - the introduction sequence. As adventure games go this is fairly good but it isn't as cleverly done as the greats.

Writing-wise, I am, like MRY, annoyed by the protagonist's name, but for different reasons. Although I can appreciate Nuernberger's allusion to the angel of death and a god of warriors, Azriel Odin is inconsistent with the relatively mundane names that all the other characters in the game were given, so it doesn't make in-world sense. It also doesn't make genre sense, it's the kind of name that belongs in YA fiction, not film noir.

The other thing I was annoyed with is that nothing in the plot actually required a science fiction setting. There's something about suspension of disbelief that demands a conservation of implausible elements to the bare minimum necessary. Gemini Rue could've been set in contemporary america and all the major plot points would still be identical. One gets the feeling that the setting was adopted merely in order to emulate bebop and blade runner.

On the plus side, I do think Nuernberger's title was very clever.
    Show Spoiler
    Gemini, the twins, alludes to the plot twist while plausibly fitting the red herring (the way a Janus would've been too on the nose)
    , and Rue has that double meaning that works well since most of the Azriel chapter takes place on one street.

As for the puzzles, they may not have been very challenging, but they at least made sense (the bar for adventure game puzzle logic is low). The only absurd one was the maintenance computer puzzle, why would activating one section deactivate adjacent ones, that makes for a challenging puzzle but feels contrived. The game mechanic of switching freely between Azriel and Delta-6 was great, except that Center 7 was much less well-developed than that four-five blocks of New Pittsburgh.

Overall, Gemini Rue is worth playing, had great atmosphere, music, and voice acting. But in terms of narrative and as an adventure game, it isn't as good as Primordia.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Namegender: ⚧ Savant

Name
    Parrots:
    Primordia>Resonance>Blackwell=Gemini Rue>Shivah

^ Top  
  3. Zarniwoopgender: ⚧ Destiny Cleanser Patron

Zarniwoop
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I don't get all this dicksucking about Primordia to be honest. It's p. good story and theme-wise, and the multiple endings are nice, but it's let down by being EXTREMELY short and limited. Could have been so much better. At least Gemini Rue takes more than 3 hours to complete.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Aeschylusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Primordia and Gemini Rue took me about the same amount of time to complete. Neither was particularly difficult. Primordia had better writing, and slightly inferior puzzle design overall. I'd say Primordia was more interesting, but tastes vary.

^ Top  
  5. SCOgender: ⚧ Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Parrots:
    Gemini Rue was heavy handed on it's theme in and near the ending (large soliloquies), but had more bearable puzzles i thought (i still don't know what the fuck was it with the kiosk puzzle in primordia). Primordia does have 7 endings variations, while Gemini Rue only has 1, but i think Gemini Rue is more polished on sprites and backgrounds. Oh, except for that fucking combination puzzle near the middle. Obligatory popamole was bad too.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    ^ Top  
  6. bertram_tunggender: ⚧ Arbiter

bertram_tung
    Parrots:
    I enjoyed the setting and atmosphere of Gemini Rue a lot more than Primordia. Primordia bored me before I could finish it, whereas Gemini Rue left me wanting more.

^ Top  
  7. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Ah, but Gemini Rue's introductory hook (D6's memory erasing scene), which is presumably what captured your attention from the beginning, is precisely what spoiled the big reveal for me prematurely, by introducing the possibility of an unreliable narrator. It would've been better if Nuernberger had omitted all mention of memory erasing during that scene. Just have D6 undergo a horrific medical procedure. The player then gradually gets little hints about memory erasing and reconstruction over the course of Azriel's chapter. And then BAM, the Shyamalan twist.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. suejakgender: ⚧ Arbiter Patron Village Idiot

suejak
    Parrots:
    I tend to agree that Isaac Asimov-style twists are all-too-common in Wadjet games. Only thing worse is the people who claim they "figured it out at the beginning." Who gives a shit? Welcome to Gifted&Talented Class. Seriously, if your enjoyment of the story relies on your surprise at the big twist, then I don't even want your opinion.

I agree that Primordia isn't all that great. But I'm probably biased, because the developer makes some long, obnoxious posts on this forum.

Says a lot that Shivah is at the bottom of that. I wish we had more real-world-based games. The Blackwell series is like a tacky teen novel (for GIRLS, no less), while Resonance and Primordia have typical nerd-face settings.

Jewish murder mystery. That's good shit.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. bertram_tunggender: ⚧ Arbiter

bertram_tung
    Parrots:
    No, if you read my post, I was talking about the atmosphere and setting. That has nothing to do with the plot. While I enjoyed the plot to a moderate degree, it was the atmosphere and setting that really kept me going.

^ Top  
  10. StaticSpinegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Parrots:
    Bought the game on the sale. Completed it today.

I must say it's pretty good. The atmosphere, the voice acting, the music. The story is well written though it can seem predictable to people who likes other sci fi games/movies/books.

The only thing I didn't get is the battle system. I mean why add a battle system to the adventure game? The previous Adventure I played was Sanitarium and it had some awful battles too.

P.S. Still I liked Primordia more.

^ Top  
  11. bledcarrotgender: ⚧ Educated

bledcarrot
    Parrots:
    Finished this a month or so ago. Started off great, setting worked, dialogue was good, story was unfolding very well and I was genuinely engaged. Got a bit lame in the second half and in the ending I thought. Wasn't really impressed with the pseudo-philosophical plot and dialogue. It had all the subtlety of a 13 year old who just saw Bladerunner for the first time. Having said that I finished it and enjoyed it. Combat was of course horrendous, but lucky there isn't much of it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Joolsgender: ⚧ Eater of Apples Patron

Jools
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I just finished it, and it was good. Very Beneath a Steel Sky-esque, with a hint of Full Throttle (I'm not even sure why, but some parts of GR reminded me of some parts of FT). I really liked Gemini Rue.

It is not exempt from a few shortcomings: the controls and interface kinda suck, combat is God awful (not even sure why they felt the need to include combat at all: it really feels out of place), everyone relevant lives in the same one condo, there are not that many locations in the game.

But the good stuff vastly surpasses those. The atmosphere is just great, the visual design is excellent (hand-drawn, visible sketch lines, watercolour-y backdrops, big pixels for character sprints), the story flows well and the dialogue is quite well-written. I concur with bledcarrot , the pseudo-philosophical, pseudo-inception content that comes across towards the end is a bit meh (or maybe I'm just too grown-up to be affected by it), but it really doesn't work that poorly, mostly because it doesn't "try too hard", which is a common mistake that many plots do. The plot "twist" is introduced/hinted decently, and the "converging stories" device is also used fairly well. The music and voice acting also are top notch.

Overall, Gemini Rue feels old school as fuck, in every respect: it is a greatly atmospheric and utterly enjoyable game that would have worked perfectly in 1994 as it does now.

PS - anyone can recommend similar games, present or past?

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  13. MRYgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    Jools: Rise of the Dragon, an old Dynamix game, has similar side-scrolling shooting and a cyberpunk detective plot. That said, it's a different kind of point-and-click -- it's first person, using photos and some FMV, which is much less to my taste. It also has a fair number of walking-dead scenarios and some lame puzzles, as I recall. But atmsopherically, it's pretty close. Resonance and Primordia are both AGS games (like Gemini Rue) with future dystopias, but they feel very different and don't have the same shooting sequences. (Resonance does have a few action sequences.) I can't remember if you've played Primordia, but in any event, if what you liked about Gemini Rue was the old school-ness, I think you'd like Primordia and Resonance, too.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Wizfallgender: ⚧ Savant

Wizfall
    Parrots:
    You may like Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy, cyberpunk adventure game from 1998.
    Not excellent but quite enjoyable.
    Great graphics for his time and very atmospheric, i was blown away at the beginning.
    Story is just ok and as far as i remember and not so good in the second half (but not bad either).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Ivangender: ⚧ Arcane

Ivan
    Parrots:
    Just finished it with 0 expectations. It was solid, nothing I would go out of my way to recommend. Looks nice, but the content/story was lacking.

On to Resonance
    :2/5:

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)