Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gemini Rue

Jim Cojones

Prophet
- premise is interesting, game has nice sci-fi noir feel and you have no idea who should you trust, especially when controlling a character who had his memory wiped,

- puzzles aren't difficult (at the beginning) but also not entirely trivial, so far all were perfectly logical,

- you have an access to computer database allowing you to search for names, addresses, look at the map of the area and browse news. Great mechanic for adventure game and I hope it will be used extensively in later stages,

- I expected shooting to be realised in manner similar to what could be experienced in Blade Runner, i.e. clicking on enemies as fast as you can. Instead it takes a form of a minigame inspired by popular cover shooters (or maybe by Blackthorne?). You pop out of cover from different sides, choose which enemy you want to aim at and control character's breath to score insta-killing headshots. It requires a bit of use as proper timing is crucial for success but it's rather simple. I don't mind because there's not too much of it,

- sometimes you have to act quickly because you get killed if you don't resolve puzzles fast enough. A bit frustrating in an adventure game but usually there's an autosave made not much before such sequence,

- you can have a follower who you can order by "using" him on objects. Doesn't differ from usual point-and-click adventures puzzles.

- I'd appreciate if there were more interactive elements in the background that you can look at and try to use but don't serve any purpose. It's a bit to obvious that when an object is important in solving a puzzle,

- you control two characters simultaneously, placed in completely different areas so if you're stuck and have no idea what you do, you can jump to the other character and pursue his part of the story and later come back to the puzzle you had problem with,

- voice-acting is solid, music nicely fits the atmosphere.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Sounds good, man, there is still some hope in gaming! Downloading now.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Adventure Gamer's Review - 4 stars

Pros: Remarkable storytelling with a brilliant third act; plenty of impressive animation; proceeds without constraints of unnecessary puzzles; a perfect length.

Cons: Music is too sparse; backgrounds can be very bland; some spotty voice acting; sure to be considered too easy by many.

I disagree on the VO. It is completely fine quality wise for an indie.

asper

Arcane
I have to disagree about the animation. It is the typical "2 frames for walking" that is characteristic for AGS games.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
gemini001.png

:D

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Whole game, I'm not really sure how long was it. I guess about 10 hours, maybe a little more. There's an option to play with developer's commentary and there were some dialogue choices that looked like they could change story a bit too so it seems to be more replayable than most adventure games.

Koplin

Educated
Damn...what an INCREDIBLE experience! Got through it in about 8 hours, without getting up to pee once.
I do think that the lack of 'inventory combination' puzzles was a bit...strange for an AG-but I was so engrossed in the story that its only something I thought about AFTER the play through.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Gragt said:
Don't tell me it's a fucking Cowboy Bebop reference …
There's a dog and a red-headed girl/boy named Ed who made up the name Ed for him/herself. Take a guess... :roll:

(and though I liked CB the reference looks pretty lame)

MapMan

Arcane
Do I need the make progress as the ex assasin to make progress as the test subject? Because I wanted to play as the test subject first and then when im done switch to the other dude but im stuck playing test subject and I wonder if I need to make progress as the ex assassin first to unlock something for the test subject.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Nope you don't need to. Both are independent of each other. Which part are you stuck at?

MapMan

Arcane
Who you're calling faggot, faggot? :smug:

Oh well. Its not a spoiler at all. Its like saying that there are wizards in harry potter is a spoiler.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
THERE ARE WIZARDS IN HARRY POTTER! YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE!!!!!1111LK;DS Fsd;hFHFLASDKJF

Thanks for putting it in a spoiler tag BRO.

zeitgeist

Magister
Finished it. It was pretty mediocre, especially the puzzles.

There are so many neat things they could've done with all the mechanics they implemented, but they simply didn't. It's like they used up all the creative energy in implementing a way to push crates left and right, so there was nothing left when it was time to think up a few interesting puzzles involving the aforementioned crate-pushing feature. This applies to all the other not-quite-point-and-clicky things too, such as gunfights (they're ridiculously easy and serve no real purpose - you either "pass" them and move on or you don't and repeat until you do), the communicator/phone, and the information terminals - they're all used in the most mundane and straightforward ways possible. No combining of inventory items either, as Koplin pointed out.

I thought it was nice that the technology was mostly presented in an 80s sci-fi manner. And I guess it's good that it doesn't have the usual minigames (well, except one).

The story will likely seem extremely banal to anyone who's ever read/watched even a handful of major SF books/movies, and the setting is a very familiar SF/noir pastiche.

And yes, the twist is exactly what it seems like in the beginning of the game. There's no twist-within-a-twist, and everything is clearly foreshadowed (even multiple times) before it's finally revealed. And when it is, it sounds really stupid because it's done so incredibly explicitly that you get a feeling they just repeated it one more time for everyone who didn't get it yet.

MapMan

Arcane
Finished it today. Very good game. Through out the whole game I had to pixel hunt about twice, other than that everything was pretty clear. Voice acting isn't bad. Story is good but indeed nothing spectacular. Most people will reach a point when they'll say "AHA!" and everything will become clear.
Explaination at the end was unnecessary, it would be better without it.
For a reason unknown to me, the music plays only at certain times. I don't know why because its pretty good. I give the game a strong 8/10. Definately worth buying.

asper

Arcane
What bothered me the most was that the game pretends there is any choice in how it progresses.

The game pretends you have a choice who to trust in Center 7 but no matter what you choose, the same happens. It was extremely frustrating to see that the only thing you get is one other line of dialogue. This was the case in many instances in the game. When escaping with Epsilon-5 and having the option to leave Kane behind in his cell, Kane simply replies "ha, ha" -- very awkward in that situation -- and then you still have to rescue him. Ffs. I'd rather have the developer not give the illusion of choice at all than this shit.

Yeah, the puzzles are piss easy, the box shit and gunfights are unnecessary, and there are a lot of other small omissions/strange things. Have you guys heard the developer commentary? The guy constantly goes on about how he doesn't want to "frustrate players".

After giving the card to epsilon-5, she still keeps looking for it in the dumpster.

Hiding unseen from intruders behind a door they open...? WTF

In the ending sequence epsilon-5 needs a gas-mask to release the reactor gas, but moments later you pass the same area with delta-6 without a gas mask.

What the fuck is it with the anime characters on the top floor? Is that where precious developer time goes?

The dev calls the last gunfight with Balder a "boss fight", even though it is exactly the same as all other fights.

The reactor "puzzle" is deemed the "most difficult" by the dev, even though it is not a puzzle at all, you just click on all dialogue options possible!!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Jesus Christ, Dave, you used to be cool!

Although I guess applying to JC won't do much good here hurr hurr

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom