Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gauntlet revives

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Gauntlet was a great game... for the 80's. In the last 30 years the core gameplay has been redone and improved upon in other games a la Derpablo.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Huh? I've said far more negative things about other games than this one. Merely saying it'll be underwhelming.

sbb

Learned
All this bitching about a progression system is a bunch of retarded bitching. All I can see it doing to the game is making it more interesting/addictive... I love good old Gauntlet too, but that shit is perfectly emulatable. If 80s Gauntlet was released for the first time in 2014, would you honestly buy it? and how long would you play it? I'm calling bullshit on anything more than a couple of hours.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Depends a bit on how much would it cost, and what would it look like I suppose. Otherwise emulated is a good option indeed, especially the MAME arcade versions. If the new one is 5$ or less I might get it though.

sbb

Learned
The new one is launching at $20 which, actual quality providing, is probably going to be a good price. Original Gauntlet probably isn't worth more than a $2.49 on Steam today

A user named cat

RxVsJJ8.gif

sbb

Learned
Played the first level, initial thoughts:

- Combat feels extremely good. Every character has a really nice rhythm you almost want to tap your foot to, and the special attacks are really, really neat. They've done a spell system for the wizard that reminds me of a Legend Of Grimrock-lite.
- The first level was strictly linear, but I only thought about it when I realized that should probably be noted. It was enjoyable nonetheless, though I do hope they start to branch out later.
- This game doesn't fuck around - I was getting my ass handed to me on Hard, as they only allow you one "Skull Coin", I believe they're called, which revive you. Not sure how to get more of those, but Normal is infinite.
- Generators are called summoning stones now. :decline:

ColCol

Arcane

- Combat feels extremely good. Every character has a really nice rhythm you almost want to tap your foot to, and the special attacks are really, really neat. They've done a spell system for the wizard that reminds me of a Legend Of Grimrock-lite.
- The first level was strictly linear, but I only thought about it when I realized that should probably be noted. It was enjoyable nonetheless, though I do hope they start to branch out later.
- This game doesn't fuck around - I was getting my ass handed to me on Hard, as they only allow you one "Skull Coin", I believe they're called, which revive you. Not sure how to get more of those, but Normal is infinite.

Supposedly some levels are randomly generated and some are pre-made.

sbb

Learned

I hope they didn't waste their time randomly generating linear levels, then.

ColCol

Arcane

I hope they didn't waste their time randomly generating linear levels, then.

Yeah, for some reason I misread your message, I guess. I don't know.

ColCol

Arcane
I played a little bit, it has a nice arcade feel to it. It is also quite difficult.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Bought the game because I'm impulsive. If anybody wants to play, message me. I'm also in the RPGCodex steamgroup.

Edit: Played for about an hour. Pretty enjoyable game thus far. Also quite difficult. Even on normal you can't go in unthinking and spamming the attacks. The Wizard definitely requires a lot of play because the number of spells is subtly extensive and their utility all over the place. I imagine someone who can master the Wizard would be pretty badass, because he has a ton of tricks up his sleeve, notably mines, frozen orbs, and a fire teleport that does damage to anything it passes through.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'll admit that what I'm saying is said without having played this Gauntlet "remake", but I think Hammerwatch has pretty much stolen the thunder of Gauntlet and done a runner with it. It is by far the best game in its recent Humble Bundle and even features classical Gauntlet rooms as bonus stages.

(The recent update also features a Serious Sam in-joke, complete with a new monster type to make it that more memorable.)

sbb

Learned
I'll admit that what I'm saying is said without having played this Gauntlet "remake", but I think Hammerwatch has pretty much stolen the thunder of Gauntlet and done a runner with it. It is by far the best game in its recent Humble Bundle and even features classical Gauntlet rooms as bonus stages.

(The recent update also features a Serious Sam in-joke, complete with a new monster type to make it that more memorable.)
Does that game get more fun with friends? Because I haven't ever been able to make it past the first level before crying myself to sleep in my chair. That thing is so fucking boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom