Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gauntlet revives

zwanzig_zwoelf

Magicka devs, eh?
I hope the game will have voice-overs in Swedish, and Swedish only.
Might be pretty entertaining to see the butthurt of Kwantards. 'Engrish is da best language why no Engrish voices im 2 lezy to reed sheit im so inturested in stoory even if it doesn't matter'.

Ebonsword

Arcane
- it was a good shoot-em-up / topdown beat-em-up for the time (again, its competitors were games like Galaga - not crpgs; the only crpgs of the time were Wizardry and its clones, M&M at its clones and Ultima and it's clones, things like gold box were many years off)

Gauntlet was released in 1985. Pool of Radiance was released in 1988.

I know that time seems to pass by more slowly when you're a kid, but still...

Dorateen

Arcane
I co-opped Gauntlet on the NES, and we role-played our PnP characters. Even though this was an action arcade game, the foundations were there for a solid cRPG. The way the levels were grouped into "worlds", essentially what would be regions, and a non-intrusive background story with no forced narrative. Just treasure hunting, exploring maps, puzzles and destroying monster generators! This was in 1988/89, right before I discovered computer role-playing games, and the rest is history.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Main thing that turned me off Magicka were the trillion DLCs. Even though they were often sold as a bundle, I'd just expect them to release a new one right after and nobody would play the old ones anymore.
I really liked the game Magicka, but I was never able to join an online game. Don't know if there was something wrong with the multiplayer engine, or the steam version, but playing the game solo really took a lot of the fun out. Maybe this was due to the 9,000 different DLC's and versions...

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Also, some totally random points on Gauntlet:
* I can't stand the characters in this remake: Conan the Warrior, 4th Edition D&D Paladin the Valkyrie, Assassins Creed the Elf, and every-goddamn-wizard-you've-ever-seen the Wizard.
* Man, is this trying to look like Diablo III
* Sound for Gauntlet on the Amiga was almost as good as the arcade sound. It was full stereo and just sounded awesome. It was complete with voices and intro screen, which at the time was amazing.
* I could play the arcade Gauntlet 1 for 8+ hours on one quarter, and the game is partly responsible for my initial parting ways with college. To play that long, some luck was involved.
* Gauntlet 2 was so over the top designed to burn your health, I could never play more than a few games of it. Wow, talk about a crock - dragon breath?

Machocruz

Arcane
To a kid in the 80s, the Gauntlet games had a tremendous atmosphere as well. Not until Diablo 1 was there a better sense of musty dungeon crawling and supernatural goings ons in a sword and sworcery setting, in an action game. The voicework, the sound cues, the character/monster designs -very effective for the time, and simply iconic. And the design just works, elegant and timeless like Doom and Super Mario. Fight monsters, find keys, find exit, survive as long as you can. Being able to co-op all that at the time was just magic.

I remember finding out about a Gauntlet game for the Genesis, and I went half-insane (it was never advertised in any of the magazines I read). Then I got it, started playing, heard that music, and went insane again. Dat power of nostalgia.

dragonbait

Augur
Warrior is about to die.

Not sure if the remake will be as fun as the originals were, but hey why not, kudos for a new Gauntlet release.

I just hope they bring back those black+blue death monsters. Zap you down to size.
gauntlet+st3.jpg

Shralla

Educated
It looks fun, I hope they're really aiming to make a Gauntlet remake and not a new Diablo clone.

Based on the trailer alone, I would say that the latter is exactly what they're setting out to make. It looks like they've just turned Gauntlet into Diablo in hopes of getting the attention of the ~$20 PC market.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
The gameplay reminds me of the Warcraft 3 scenario War Chasers that was created as an homage to Gauntlet (the Warrior's spin attack also looks like the Blademaster's whirlwind).
Still, this looks like it could be a fun dungeon romp to play with friends. Keeping my hopes up.

Kuhrazy

Educated
So Gauntlet is an rpg now huh? Blizzard and EA have lowered the bar pretty damned far.
Definitely more of a roguelike.

My favorite Gauntlet wannabe was Zombies Ate My Neighbors on SNES. I think two of the key features of both is that 1) there was more than one way through a level and 2) running was about as viable as shooting because there was no way you were going to kill everything. It gives things a hectic, desperate feel. The old 3D Gauntlet games were more of a conventional "go forward, mow down everything" deal.

Kuhrazy

Educated
So Gauntlet is an rpg now huh? Blizzard and EA have lowered the bar pretty damned far.
Definitely more of a roguelike.

My favorite Gauntlet wannabe was Zombies Ate My Neighbors on SNES. I think two of the key features of both is that 1) there was more than one way through a level and 2) running was about as viable as shooting because there was no way you were going to kill everything. It gives things a hectic, desperate feel. The old 3D Gauntlet games were more of a conventional "go forward, mow down everything" deal.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
From the look of it, this doesn't feel like Gauntlet, but more like a game that's based on Gauntlet and then takes a turn elsewhere.

This one could be fun if they include some homages to the original, like a robot-sounding Narrator.

They're probably gonna shoehorn in some kind of forced upgrade / skill progression system that has no place in Gauntlet. Also, there's no point at all to Gauntlet if there's no time limit/credit system, which I'm sure this one isn't going to have.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Gauntlet Legends already added a progression system to Gauntlet. I don't think you made any choices though, numbers just went up.

You got to pick gear in a store.

ColCol

Arcane
Reviving: should be mentioned, to my understanding, the loot in the game just gives you new abilities (example, one piece of loots give you an ice blast). You also can only equip two pieces at a time. The game is focused on pure action.

Another interesting fact, you need gold collected during a run to revive and everyone shares a gold pool.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Ah, I knew there would be someway to sell a plethora of DLC.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I recognize the Star Trek guy who lives in Felicia "Ratface" Day's friendzone

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom