Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gauntlet revives

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Arrowhead studio, creators of Magicka, will deliver via Steam next summer their modern vision of the legendary Gauntlet.
Here is the announce
http://arrowheadgamestudios.com/we-proudly-bring-back-gauntlet/
and the first trailer

Lots of fun soon come, but in the days of modern H&S, I wonder if the project is just for those who know what it was originally

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Interesting, Arrowhead are also making a similar kinda game on the PS4 (Helldivers I think?). I wonder if this uses the same engine/tech.

Magicka was great in its own way, interested in how this turns out. Some of the Gauntlet games were great while others, not so much perhaps, but if they get it right and add some new Magicka-esque mechanics, this looks like it could be a ton of fun. I will say this definitely looks a bit more Diablo-esque than I remember Gauntlet being, could be a good thing.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Taking the massive out of multiplayer online fantasy games seems like a good idea.

Maybe they could concentrate on making a good dungeon crawler but that's just wishful thinking. Looking at the current iteration of dungeon crawlers I wouldn't get my hopes up.

agris

Arcane
Patron
That trailer looks terrible, with the warrior whirlwind looking like a caricature of the D2 barbarian, and the elf shooting arrows at machine-gun rates? I never played the original so maybe I'm the wrong person to judge.

Don Peste

Arcane
That trailer looks terrible, with the warrior whirlwind looking like a caricature of the D2 barbarian, and the elf shooting arrows at machine-gun rates? I never played the original so maybe I'm the wrong person to judge.

agris

Arcane
Patron
yea, i'm the wrong person. without any nostalgia-dopamine release, that just looks bad.

Alchemist

Arcane
Guys, of course it looks like Diablo - because Diablo was a Gauntlet clone... (with RPG / roguelike elements added)

Anyway, cool to see them reviving the franchise, if they do it right. Had a lot of fun (and lost way too many quarters) with the original back in the day.

They got the design of the Valkyrie wrong though... she's supposed to look like this:
PrSMENT.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Let's not cloud our goggles with nostalgia and overrate what Gauntlet was: a basic co-op hack-n-slash with powerups. And, yes, Diablo was essentially the next logical progression of something like Gauntlet. This looks... okay... but I don't really see much of a market for it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I see a market for it, it's a game that is instant start up and have fun, unlike the eternal grindan/character build simulator of diablo clones.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, Magicka had a similar appeal but it died fairly quickly. And now they're inexplicably creating a F2P (microtransactions?) version called Wizard Wars. If the price it at $10 I'm sure people will buy it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Main thing that turned me off Magicka were the trillion DLCs. Even though they were often sold as a bundle, I'd just expect them to release a new one right after and nobody would play the old ones anymore.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Seems this is published by Warner Brothers. They've had their fair share of DLC grabs in recent products (Batman games, etc.) Hopefully this doesn't go down the same path although a lot of inexpensive download titles usually do.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I wish they'd remake Smash T.V. instead or my personal favorite, Total Carnage.

Gauntlet's alright though. I wouldn't mind playing it with some friends if it's cheap but a lot of these remakes are coming out grossly overpriced.

I pretty much love Gauntlet, but this didn't get me excited at all. Gauntlet is supposed to be simple quarter-munching fun, not epic sweeping musical score with maximum impact motion blur (tm). They're probably going to fuck up the formula by adding shit like skill trees and cooldowns.

Or maybe I'm just too old.

Machocruz

Arcane
So melee combos in a Gauntlet game? Will we ever get relief from that approach to hack and slash? In a game like this, it tends to kill forward momentum.

Would have preferred a drawn look too. 2D sprite Gauntlet is best Gauntlet.

not epic sweeping musical score

I wish them good luck matching Gauntlet 4 in the music department.

Alchemist

Arcane
God I miss FM synth sound chip music in games. That is some blazingly awesome stuff in Gauntlet 4. Nowadays we just get a lot of hollywood score wannabe's and Soule-likes.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Gauntlet's health system was an early masterstroke in pay to win mechanics. A modern addition to the series would need to be linked to your credit card so you can keep your character going with a series of micropayments. It's not an authentic Gauntlet experience if the session doesn't end with you blinking in surprise at having suddenly run out of money, forcing you to grapple with the prospect of having to go to bed sober that night.

yea, i'm the wrong person. without any nostalgia-dopamine release, that just looks bad.

That's because you're viewing it as a crpg. It's about as much a crpg as Super Mario Bros.

My experience of Gauntlet was the original arcade game. It was fun because:

- 4 player co-op was sort of rare (there were 2-player co-op beat-em-ups, but most multiplayer games were still of the form 'you play 1 life, then he plays 1 life' ala Galaga, Super Mario, etc - it was one of the earliest co-op games, and 4-player at that);
- it was a good shoot-em-up / topdown beat-em-up for the time (again, its competitors were games like Galaga - not crpgs; the only crpgs of the time were Wizardry and its clones, M&M at its clones and Ultima and it's clones, things like gold box were many years off)
- the fast-moving gameplay.

The title says it all. It was about 'running the gauntlet' on a tight time-limit and against overwhelming numbers, with the effect that you had to race like hell and anyone who dropped behind was fucked. Similar feel to L4D in that sense. But arguably a product of its time (co-op shooters/beat-em's aren't novel anymore, the arcade timer was integral to the game mechanics), and DEFINITELY not a crpg. It's closest cousin would be games like Robotron.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom