Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gary Grigsby's War In The East

Beowulf

Arcane
Do it. You will thank yourself for that effort later.

Not only did you capture the 'Grad, that's some ridiculously strong armor you've got for '43. And the Russians look very weak. They should be starting to push hard by summer, not still be getting their asses handed to them.

Hope you do finish the lp

At long last:

RwFP5YW.jpg

I took all the big three cities in 1942. Leningrad in January. Those massive negative modifiers of first winter did hurt, but one big attack a week was enough to break it eventually. Soviets also lost the big river defense bonus of Neva, as the river was frozen over. (Compared to situation if I had attacked the city before winter.)

I didn't take Crimea at all, just left some Romanians to defend the isthmus on the mainland side. One side effect of this more northern focus (compared to history) was that I didn't get the fourth army group level HQ until just few turns before the end. You have to capture couple of towns around Rostov on Black Sea coast to trigger the splitting of Army Group South into army groups A and B. Felt a bit silly that 'following the script' is incentivized like that.

Mop-up in the end did get tedious. I'd recommend that alternative victory condition campaign, where you have to get only 260 VP's instead of the default 290. (Cities are generally worth 1 or 3 points each)

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Why would anyone play this against a human? Chances are one of them will die of old age before the game ends.

Beowulf

Arcane
Why would anyone play this against a human? Chances are one of them will die of old age before the game ends.
Nah, it's not War in the Pacific, where the timescale can be 1 turn = 1 day.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I spent a few years playing this with some people, its pretty much all consuming, as I imagine MMORPGs must be for some people. When you play against a good human opponent the game is like some sick Eastern Front drug habit. I got really obsessed and spent most of my spare time thinking about my next turn or working on it, with 2 or 3 games going at once. Even so a full game can take easy 6 months to finish and most games are never finished as people usually quit during 42 if they think they are losing.

Im kind of scared to get back into the game due to how obsessed I was. God forbid they ever make WitE 2...

I spent a few years playing this with some people, its pretty much all consuming, as I imagine MMORPGs must be for some people. When you play against a good human opponent the game is like some sick Eastern Front drug habit. I got really obsessed and spent most of my spare time thinking about my next turn or working on it, with 2 or 3 games going at once. Even so a full game can take easy 6 months to finish and most games are never finished as people usually quit during 42 if they think they are losing.

Im kind of scared to get back into the game due to how obsessed I was. God forbid they ever make WitE 2...
supposedly they plan to add africa and then combine them all to make one entire war in europe game. I cant recall if they mentioned the pacific, but I sort of think they did not and dont plan a pacific game

also I do think they are working on a WITE 2 if I remember right. Not sure how that might fit into the overall plan I mentioned above.

Comte

also I do think they are working on a WITE 2 if I remember right. Not sure how that might fit into the overall plan I mentioned above.

They are working on WITE2 but it's going to have the terrible air system from War in the West. The Plan is to eventually connect them all into War in Europe if the developers are still alive.

Good job, now go to the next level and play versus a human, you will find its a whole new game!
I'll probably skip that for a while as it's very likely to become all-consuming like you said. Like multiplayer Dominions or some decent MMO. I like when I can drop a game at any moment for any or no reason and not come back until three weeks later or whatever.

And I can still do:
- Soviet campaign
- some later German campaign, like 43-45, where you are already on defense
- War in the West

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Good job, now go to the next level and play versus a human, you will find its a whole new game!
I'll probably skip that for a while as it's very likely to become all-consuming like you said. Like multiplayer Dominions or some decent MMO. I like when I can drop a game at any moment for any or no reason and not come back until three weeks later or whatever.

Yep, thats why WitE is the only game I have ever seriously played online, I cant stand feeling tied down to a game, at least with turn based you have some control on when you do stuff, but in the end I probably burnt out on WitE by having to many games going at once.

They are working on WITE2 but it's going to have the terrible air system from War in the West. The Plan is to eventually connect them all into War in Europe if the developers are still alive.

I have never played or even properly looked at WitW, I have zero interest in western front for some reason, I thought they were going to update the weather system though which would be great for WitE 2 as the current system is awful!

I think trying to combine the two games is an absolutely terrible idea, it takes long enough to do a turn as it is. They would have to streamline the game somehow to make it playable and then whats the point? The reason I play a Grigsby game is because its the most hardcore WWII sim you can get on a computer.

I have not played War in the West yet, but have heard the complaints. I have played Eagle day to Bombing the Reich which they also created and have heard that the War in the West air system resembles that game. I simply can not imagine adding that in depth air system from Eagle Day on top of a game like War in the East, it seems overwhelming. I could never finish a campaign of Eagle Day/Bombing the Reich as it was....

If I'm going to play a human, I'd rather play a boardgame like No Retreat
I agree. I play board war games with my brother like DAK 2, or Hurtgen Forrest sometimes and I actually prefer them to computer wargames, its just so hard for two adults to actually find the time to play and that is where games like War in the East come in

mbv123

Arbiter

supposedly they plan to add africa and then combine them all to make one entire war in europe game. I cant recall if they mentioned the pacific, but I sort of think they did not and dont plan a pacific game
No need for a Pacific game since WitP already exists and the theatre is pretty isolated from the rest of the war that works as a standalone.
I'd love a War in Europe game, on the same depth as WitE/WitW that goes from 1939-45 and simulates pretty much everything from land campaigns, to air campaigns, to naval campaigns in Atlantic and Mediterranean with u-boats and such. Could be the endgame of all WW2 wargames.

No need for a Pacific game since WitP already exists and the theatre is pretty isolated from the rest of the war that works as a standalone.
I'd love a War in Europe game, on the same depth as WitE/WitW that goes from 1939-45 and simulates pretty much everything from land campaigns, to air campaigns, to naval campaigns in Atlantic and Mediterranean with u-boats and such. Could be the endgame of all WW2 wargames.

I actually think that a total war in Europe game is their end goal with this series of games, and it might also include africa. There is sort of a game along these lines already by http://schwerpunktgames.com/ , but it is much more like a board wargame and not nearly as detailed. It also has a strange user interface-- its designed by one guy. I enjoy it, but its not exactly the same thing as WiTE.

Honestly I had been looking forward to the computer version of World in Flames ( https://www.a-d-g.com.au/) but while it was eventually released it basically does not really work. I knew it was way too much to hope for. It is far too complicated to try and implement all the rules especially with a working AI and all by a single programmer.

But the guy actually tried and there are (for instance) over 100 optional rules you can switch on or off in the options, and the rule book is 3 hard cover books about 600 pages, lol...its a longer rule book than the actual boardgame version I think.

I believe the programmer literally almost died trying to make the game function and had to be hospitalized a couple of times, lol..I think the game was in production for 15 years if not longer...I own the game, and while it does not really function as the product it was designed to be, it is useful to learn how to actually play the boardgame version as sort of a visual tutorial that will remind and keep track of rules for you...so its not totally useless..

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom