Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gaming History Quiz: What was the first expansion pack/free DLC/paid DLC ever released?

DaveO

Erudite
Don't forget the Atari game, Alternate Reality(1985). The City and The Dungeon may qualify.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I don't see how, to be honest. The words "unfinished" and "unimplemented" are all over the wiki article on the game.

It was years ahead of its time, though. That much is certain.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Apshai

Two add-ons to Temple of Apshai were released: Upper Reaches of Apshai and Curse of Ra. Both required the original game and expanded play through the introduction of additional content, including a total of 12 levels, 568 rooms and 37 monsters. This trilogy was later released as a whole as the The Temple of Apshai Trilogy, which unified look-and-feel while improving both graphics and sound.

1981 :eek:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Bumping this ol' thread, but for good reason.

Questions:

6) What was the first paid DLC that added content to the original game?

Best answer so far: Multiplayer maps for MechAssault (2003) - Dexter

I may have found something older - Redneck Rampage (1997).

To quote Wikipedia:

Cuss Pack

The Cuss Pack, an add-on which added stronger language to the game, was released. The add-on was available for download on Interplay's online store, but users had to pay $1 with a credit card to ensure that the buyer of the add-on was of adult age. The add-on was included on the CD for the Mac OS version.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
In light of the recent Mortal Kombat debacle : what was the first DLC that was just a cheat code ?

This one would be tricky, because besides "DLC is cheat code" obviousness, there is also disguised cheat codes : overpriced add-on whose sole purpose is to give you an imbalanced item making the game super easy.

Lucumo

Educated
Regarding 2), I guess something like "Computer Baseball: 1980 Teams Data Disk" from 1985 also counts? That was then followed by "Computer Baseball: 1981 Teams Data Disk & Statistics Compiler" and so on the same year. Flight simulators also always had lots of addons, like the "Sublogic Scenery Disk 3 (San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas" from 1985 for the "Microsoft Flight Simulator" from 1982.
Regarding 1): Was "Dunjonquest: Upper Reaches of Apshai" before or after "Dunjonquest: The Keys of Acheron"? Both are from 1981.
Regarding 5): Probably "SORCERIAN SYSTEM NEW SCENARIO Vol.1" from 1989. If the vending machine didn't have the game locally stored, the data was transferred via VAN (later ISDN) and written on the floppy. So in that sense, it was a "download".

2) What was the first expansion pack that added content to the original game?

Maybe "Strip Poker Data Disk #1: Female - Candi and Marlena" by Artworx which was released in 1982?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom