Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gaming History Quiz: What was the first expansion pack/free DLC/paid DLC ever released?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
First instance of DLC (freely downloadable small chunk of content) that I remember was with Cavedog's Total Annihilation (they'd release new units every now and then).

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
RE: paid DLC that was a separate from the main game, the first instance I can ever remember are the "Premium Modules" released by Bioware for NWN.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RE: paid DLC that was a separate from the main game, the first instance I can ever remember are the "Premium Modules" released by Bioware for NWN.

Yeah, I mentioned those. They started releasing those in 2004.

I wonder if there was anything earlier than that, though.

Dexter

Arcane

Yeah, I mentioned those. They started releasing those in 2004.

I wonder if there was anything earlier than that, though.

Didn't I already say Mech Assault by Microsoft in the very first post I did? I believe they offered some free stuff and then started charging for it in 2003: http://www.gamespot.com/news/new-mechassault-content-available-for-a-price-6084650

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
About DLC: There is a possibility that the floppy drive vending machines I mentioned had a form of "DLC". You paid money, inserted a disk and a file was copied on to the disc, which you then took back home. This was for the disc version of the Famicom they had over there, or something.

IIRC, I read about this in a Retro Gamer issue. I should probably try to find that article and learn more.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
About DLC: There is a possibility that the floppy drive vending machines I mentioned had a form of "DLC". You paid money, inserted a disk and a file was copied on to the disc, which you then took back home. This was for the disc version of the Famicom they had over there, or something.

IIRC, I read about this in a Retro Gamer issue. I should probably try to find that article and learn more.

Heh, I don't think DLC as it is commonly understood could exist before the advent of computer networks you could dial up and connect to from home. I doubt there was any DLC before the Internet, but it could have theoretically existed on BBSes, Prodigy or AOL.

Luzur

Good Sir
Dungeon Master: Chaos Strikes Back and those expasnions to Ultima 7: Silver Seed and Serpent Isles.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I've updated OP with some of the answers people have given.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
How would you qualify Might and Magic V ?

Also, SSI released a shitload of games based on single campaigns or even battles in the Apple II day. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two was actually a "data disk" as we used to call it those days ; but I have no name to back this proposition.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
How would you qualify Might and Magic V ?

Also, SSI released a shitload of games based on single campaigns or even battles in the Apple II day. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two was actually a "data disk" as we used to call it those days ; but I have no name to back this proposition.

Go ahead, do some digging on Mobygames and see if you can find something earlier than 1986. ;) And even if it isn't, post it anyway.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm currently looking into answers to questions 2 and 3. For a while I thought that Forge of Virtue for Ultima 7 (both 1992) would be the closest answer to 2, until I realized that it barely qualifies in adding new content to the original game. You get a free ship which you can use to reach the Isle of Fire, but otherwise everything you get from the expansion pack is gained on the Isle of Fire. Same thing with the Silver Seed. So I'll leave that up debate and hair-splitting.

Currently I've found Diablo (1996) to be the closest answer to question 2. The Monk class (and the hidden classes) from the Hellfire expansion pack (1997) are usable right from the start.

For question 3, I currently have "Trials of the Luremaster" (2001) for Icewind Dale (2000).

I'm still looking into this, so I'll update as I go further back.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Unkillable Cat Actually, I consider Forge of Virtue to qualify, since the Isle of Fire is added to the game world. It's not a separate campaign or adventure accessible from the main menu.

Not sure why I didn't think of writing that there myself, actually.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think we can find something earlier than this, but the original version of Witch's Wake for NWN probably qualifies for 3.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Except Neverwinter Nights was released in 2002, Icewind Dale in 2000, and Trials of the Luremaster came after Heart of Winter, which was released on 2001.

... actually, it might be a very close tie between the two, if Witch's Wake was immediately available when NWN was released.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Except Neverwinter Nights was released in 2002, Icewind Dale in 2000, and Trials of the Luremaster came after Heart of Winter, which was released on 2001.

... actually, it might be a very close tie between the two, if Witch's Wake was immediately available when NWN was released.

It wasn't.

Trials of the Luremaster is from 2001, but that adds a quest to Heart of Winter accessible from the Lonelywood inn. (yeah, I know, this is one of those situations that stretches things since it's really almost entirely separate)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Well, then you will want to have the date right. NWN was released in 2002, but Witch's Wake wasn't released until 2004, as part of the first "Premium Modules" for NWN, along with Kingmaker and Shadowguard.

It's time I dug out my PC Format mags. In the early issues they had a long-ass list of all the titles they'd reviewed, maybe something in there can help me find something.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Well, then you will want to have the date right. NWN was released in 2002, but Witch's Wake wasn't released until 2004, as part of the first "Premium Modules" for NWN, along with Kingmaker and Shadowguard.

It's time I dug out my PC Format mags. In the early issues they had a long-ass list of all the titles they'd reviewed, maybe something in there can help me find something.

Nope. Witch's Wake had two versions, an original version from 2002 and an enhanced version that was a premium module. Notice I said "original version".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
2) Populous The Promised Lands 1989, Harpoon Battleset 1989 Their Finest Missions 1989

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those mission packs that don't change anything in the original games?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The Promised Lands is, but Harpoon got me thinking...

EDIT: Looked it up. 4 Battlesets were created for the original Harpoon, with the first one being included with the game. For the other three Battlesets that were sold in boxes I found:

New scenarios set in different region of the world. Includes many new platforms.

What is considered a "platform" in Harpoon?

EDIT: Found it. A "platform" in Harpoon is a "naval platform", meaning a unit, be it a ship, submarine, helicopter or other aircraft. That means that the second battleset, released in 1989, released new scenarios that included new units, but from what I recollect from playing Harpoon, you could not use the new units in older scenarios. They were available for the editor, however, but that wasn't released until 1992.

As for "Their finest missions", it includes:

Includes 23 new missions, and one experienced pilot for each of the planes in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom