Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GameSpy multiplayer services shutting down - removed from Dawn of War

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another one bites the dust: http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/pricing/

Effective May 31, 2014, GameSpy will cease providing all hosted services for all games still using GameSpy.

List of affected games: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/22fz75/list_of_games_affected_by_gamespy_shutdown/

Company Statements
  • Activision: "Activision won't be affected." (Source)
  • Bohemia Interactive: "We are planning to introduce an alternative solution using Steam to Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead and Arma 3 users. Other games... will have [a] more limited multiplayer experience with loss of server browser... That said, direct IP connection to servers should work even after Gamespy services are no longer available." (Source)
  • Capcom: "There are a few titles for which Capcom utilizes GameSpy's matchmaking services for online gameplay. We are evaluating migration solutions and will have more information in the near future"(Source)
  • Epic: ""We're spinning [up an in-house solution] next week and we don't foresee any impact." (Source)
Affected
  • Arma (Source)
  • Arma: Cold War Assault (Source)
  • Arma 2 (Source)
  • Arma 2: Free (Source)
  • Borderlands
  • Dungeon Defenders [PS3/Non-Steam] (Source)
  • Crysis (Source)
  • Crysis 2 (Source)
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Saints Row 2 (Source)
  • Star Wars Battlefront
  • Star Wars Battlefront 2
  • Stronghold 2 (Source)
  • Stronghold Legends (Source)
  • Take On Helicopters (Source)
Status Unknown
  • Alien vs Predator 2
  • Call of Juarez
  • Call of Juarez Bound in Blood
  • Civilization III
  • Civilization IV
  • Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
  • Commandos: Behind the Call of Duty
  • Far Cry
  • Jagged Alliance 2
  • Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault
  • Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
  • Medieval Total War
  • Medieval Total War 2
  • Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
  • Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
  • Postal 2
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Shogun Total War
  • SWAT 4
  • Titan Quest
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
  • Tom Clancy's HAWX
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent
  • Two Worlds
  • Two Worlds 2
  • Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War
  • Warhammer 40K: Dark Crusade
  • Warhammer 40K: Soulstorm
  • Warhammer 40K: Winter Assault
Probably Unaffected
Unaffected

Baron Dupek

Arcane
EA said they work on that issue.
Once again their sins are forgotten.

Actually I'm a bit suprised that reaction on GameSpy shutdown is faster and more proffesional than case of GfWL.
And though that some companies (especialy more asshoilish) just say "screw you and buy newer version of franchise".

Astral Rag

Arcane
It's worth noting that GameRanger exists and can be used to play a lot of those games. More will likely be added in the future.

GameRanger dev:

Developer of GameRanger here. TL;DR: The news is not that bad.
The original source of this list (re-posted endlessly) was from GameSpy Arena which from memory was a web-based ladder system (manual confirm-win, report-loss) that was completely unrelated to which games used GameSpy tech. So the list is both incorrect and incomplete.

Regardless, from that list, these games never used GameSpy tech in the first place:

Aliens vs Predator Classic / Gold
Call of Duty
Call of Duty: United Offensive
Call of Duty 2
Commandos 2
Commandos 3
Company of Heroes (it used Quazal for Relic Online, not GameSpy)
Hexen (this was the original Doom engine and didn't even have internet play)
Hexen 2
Jagged Alliance (single-player DOS game!)
Quake 2
Quake 3
Quake 4
Soldier of Fortune
Soldier of Fortune 2
SWAT 2
SWAT 3
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (used Ubi.com)

These games from that list are already playable on GameRanger (and hence will be unaffected):

Aliens vs Predator Classic / Gold
Aliens vs Predator 2
Battlefield 1942
Borderlands
Star Wars: Battlefront
Star Wars: Battlefront II
Call of Juarez
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
Civilization III
Civilization IV
Commandos 2
Commandos 3
Company of Heroes (up to 1.7)
Medieval: Total War
Medieval II: Total War
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
Quake II
Quake III Arena
Quake 4
Stronghold HD
Stronghold Crusader HD
SWAT 4
Titan Quest
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War
Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War: Dark Crusade
Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War: Soulstorm
Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War: Winter Assault

These games from that list I have investigated and can be added to GameRanger in future:

Battlefield 2
Battlefield 2142
Battlefield Vietnam
Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty
Far Cry
Halo: Combat Evolved
Hexen 2
Medal of Honor: Pacific
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Postal 2
Shogun Total War
Soldier of Fortune
Soldier of Fortune 2
SWAT 3
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent
Unreal Tournament
Unreal Gold
Unreal 2
Stronghold 2
Stronghold Legends

These games I haven't looked at in depth, but should be possible to add to GameRanger eventually:

Arma
Arma: Cold Assault
Arma 2
Arma 2: Free
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Crysis Wars
Take on Helicopters
Tom Clancy's HAWX
Two Worlds
Two Worlds 2

http://www.gameranger.com/games/

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Life After GameSpy: Civ 3, Civ 4 And Borderlands Go Steam

gamespy.jpg

You might well cheer the demise of GameSpy Technologies, but an awful lot of games will lose official online multiplayer support when the service shuts down on May 31. Publishers scour the battlefield running triage measuring pulses peeling eyelids shining lights flexing smashed bones jabbing fingers in wounds licking blood. “We’ve got a live one here!” they cry occasionally and haul the game up on their shoulder, but all too often stand up, brush themselves down, then step over the grasping bloodied hand as they quietly walk away.

2K Games shall save Borderlands, Civilization III, Civ IV, and Civ IV: Colonization and their expansions, the publisher has confirmed, along with their expansions. A dozen of its less popular games will be less lucky.

2K plans to switch these four to Steamworks from May 31, warning that “During the transition, players will experience interruption of several features, including online play, matchmaking and voiceover Internet protocol (VOIP) where applicable.”

While their multiplayer is safe, these games won’t be updated:

Some of these are a good decade old, so it’s not surprising that they’re being allowed to drift away.

They won’t strictly gone, though. Many will still be playable if communities switch to hosting their own master server lists or use tools like GameRanger, though one big reason why devs and publishers used GameSpy was so people wouldn’t need to discover, download, and learn how to use other software. Still, one might speculate that if you’re devotedly playing a decade-old game rather than chasing shiny newness, you’re likely to be the sort of person who knows about such things.

Stronghold developer Firefly Studios had said before this announcement that they were looking into a solution, and today are still pointing people to that. Those two Stronghold games will also lose LAN play when GameSpy goes down, Firefly say, so they’d be entirely de-multiplayered. There may still be hope.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
This entire topic is why I will never touch Cloud-style gaming. Anyone naive enough to think the servers won't be shutdown someday deserves to have their money stolen.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
GameSpy didn't liked my internet (which stopped me from playing Dawn of War online) so good riddance.
Anyway - anyone played on Vietcong 1/2 servers? Was fun playing singleplayer, never heard about MP community...

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
There were a few nutjobs that played Deus Ex Multiplayer - you know, weirdos that were stuck forever to that game, hating everything else modern or new. About 15 people or so, for years modding and replaying DX-MP.

So... yeah. You can add that to your list of affected games. If that even counts.

sser

Arcane
Developer
GameSpy is and was an atrocious piece of shit. Hated it every single time I ran into the damn thing. Good riddance.

The most striking memory I have of Gamespy is how it ruined Armies of Exigo (together with EA's intentional lack of marketing); it was a superior RTS that really deserved better.

I had problems with almost every game where the multiplayer was Gamespy-driven. It was fucking awful. To echo an earlier sentiment, good riddance.

Zeriel

Arcane

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.ea.com/news/update-on-ea-titles-hosted-on-gamespy
EA gave up with GameSpy Arcade issues and just shut down everything, including Battlefield 2, C&C games, Neverwinter Night 1+2 and SW Battlefront 1+2.
Soldier-Crying.jpg

How'd NWN 1 and 2 end up with EA?

I think BioWare must have signed a deal with Hasbro where they held on to the responsibility for the ongoing maintenance of NWN, including patches and multiplayer services. EA inherited that. They also inherited a kind of "oversight" of NWN2 despite it not being their game, which is why there are NWN2 forums on BSN. An odd situation.

Severian Silk

Homeworld 2 is also affected. Not that it matters. Multiplayer was always buggy as shit, and the game would crash/kick/desync half the time.

:x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom