Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs you could not complete

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
daemonsgate - frustration and the fact that nobody told all the artists to stick to the same perspective for objects/sprites/environments.
some ps1 jrpg that i cannot remember the name of - it had really bad loading times that happened every time you walked into a door.
alone in the dark - lost interest eventually.
wasteland 2 - the thought of going through ag center or highpool again, even in ruined state, is so fucking offputting.
the unreal world - i don't even know if you can finish it in some way, other than dying gruesomely, but i vaguely remember trying to butcher/cook some random raiders that attacked me, and the game either not allowing that or heavily penalizing it, after which i just grew bored with it.

Raapys

Arcane
holla_cabezas_de_mierda
It has less to do with higher levels of power being bad by themselves and more with high-level DND being shit. Might and Magic did high-level party well IMO. And it even was about killing dragons by dozens and throwing fireballs everywhere.
I have a feeling that it is more of a result of lack of reciprocation from the game on two levels. On the first, it refuses to acknowledge that you have gained enough power to conquer the world. But I believe that this is not the most important reason why the game loses interest from me. My real problem is that at high levels of gameplay the game lacks a feeling of accomplishing anything new. Maybe my view of what is a High level differs from yours and that is the source of some misunderstanding from me. For me, you have reached a high level when there is no novel mechanical element left to explore.

When you hit the "high" levels you are forced into mostly repetitive type of engagements coupled with repetitive tactics. I don't think that this is limited to D&D. Most games suffer from it.
I think you're all wrong. When you hit high levels, you've usually played for 50++ hours in a D&D cRPG. Making a game that doesn't feel repetitive/same'ish after 50 hours of play is neigh impossible.

Sammael7

Literate
Daggerfall
morrowind
oblivion
skyrim

I've never finished an elder scrolls game, kind of a cheat since that game is so much more open world, but there it is. I always find the quickest way to a mages guild, to increase my magical powers. I have noticed with each new game, spellcasting gets weaker and weaker. In daggerfall, I could create a spell that allowed me to absorb magical energy, and fire off another that did damage in an AoE, recharging my mana when fired near the ground and allowing me to become the arcane demigod I always strive to me. And now that is all gone.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Wizardy 8...the constant random encounters just fucking burned me out in 8
Wizardry 8... too many trash fights

Wiz8... I get battle exhaustion
Wiz8: too many random encounters
Wizardry 8... the amount of random encounters
Wizardry8: same as others
Wizardry 8... the battles tire you out

uFpvQge.jpg

:dead:

Lhynn

Arcane
I completely agree. I can not finish BG2 or even start ToB because once you become basically a God the world and its surroundings lose interest. Games are most fun at beginning and middle, but for whatever reason almost all RPG's and the fans think there is something cool about being 48th level and fighting Gods and armies of dragons while saving the entire universe.

RPG's tend to be most fun as you explore the new world and its unknown mechanics; it should not be so hard to keep these things relevant by limiting character progression and reigning in scope and uber awesomeness of the story. This includes toning down weapon damage, hit points etc, but nobody seems to be able to do this. Everybody thinks making and playing characters with 7800 Hp's who do 486 damage per swing while dual wielding two handed swords and casting fireballs out of their eye sockets is the height of game play awesomeness... but in reality the game has become complete shit at this point and most of the fans lose interest and quit and don't even know why. If DO you ask them why they quit they probably would say 'Not enough Fireballs and Dragons' and so developers listen and the circle continues.
What the fuck are you even talking about? higher levels in BGII are arguably the best part of the game. and it has none of the stuff you proceed to describe below that inane statement.

Vivec is just a story fag that likes low level gameplay but has the name of a good of some shitty games for some reason, but thats just his own taste and not an indication of quality. Im with you that its tiresome, but if you got a problem with the EPICZ play something other than AAA games dude, drakensang river of time is nice, other indie games are really nice and fun and keep it low level as well, many nwn1 modules are designed for low level characters in low fantasy settings, youd love it. There are tons of options outthere.

vivec if you believe that you can conquer the world at level 20 in forgotten realms, you really dont know forgotten realms mate.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
I think you're all wrong. When you hit high levels, you've usually played for 50++ hours in a D&D cRPG. Making a game that doesn't feel repetitive/same'ish after 50 hours of play is neigh impossible.

How can I be wrong about my own experience? more importantly, how can you be right about what I am really experiencing when I am playing? /unnecessary sarcasm

But despite this, I do not think that it is the 50+ hours of gaming that tires me out. I have played several long RPGs, like BG1/2, Betrayal at Krondor and Deus Ex. No amount of boring mechanics could stop me from completing them. I think that is the point: If the mechanics is exausted, then story can carry the game.

Lhynn

Please read that post carefully. I tried to explain there that the first issue, of the cognizance that I *can* conquer the world is not so important for me. Also, I am hardly talking about D&D. I just meant to point out that when you hit those levels you are practically master of all.

agris

Arcane
Patron
M&M - X
Xenonauts
M&M - World of Xeen
Bioshock
ME2/3
Deus Ex - Human Revolution

To be fair, I intend to finish M&M X and Xenonauts.. but I haven't yet. I lost the desire to keep playing Deus Ex, next time I feel the urge I'm going to play system shock 2 instead (with that ultimate patch-mod that's close to being released). It'll be my first time. I'm excited.

edit: oh yea, daggerfall / oblivion / skyrim. I enjoyed MW for what it was.

I completely agree. I can not finish BG2 or even start ToB because once you become basically a God the world and its surroundings lose interest. Games are most fun at beginning and middle, but for whatever reason almost all RPG's and the fans think there is something cool about being 48th level and fighting Gods and armies of dragons while saving the entire universe.

RPG's tend to be most fun as you explore the new world and its unknown mechanics; it should not be so hard to keep these things relevant by limiting character progression and reigning in scope and uber awesomeness of the story. This includes toning down weapon damage, hit points etc, but nobody seems to be able to do this. Everybody thinks making and playing characters with 7800 Hp's who do 486 damage per swing while dual wielding two handed swords and casting fireballs out of their eye sockets is the height of game play awesomeness... but in reality the game has become complete shit at this point and most of the fans lose interest and quit and don't even know why. If DO you ask them why they quit they probably would say 'Not enough Fireballs and Dragons' and so developers listen and the circle continues.
What the fuck are you even talking about? higher levels in BGII are arguably the best part of the game. and it has none of the stuff you proceed to describe below that inane statement.

Vivec is just a story fag that likes low level gameplay but has the name of a good of some shitty games for some reason, but thats just his own taste and not an indication of quality. Im with you that its tiresome, but if you got a problem with the EPICZ play something other than AAA games dude, drakensang river of time is nice, other indie games are really nice and fun and keep it low level as well, many nwn1 modules are designed for low level characters in low fantasy settings, youd love it. There are tons of options outthere.

vivec if you believe that you can conquer the world at level 20 in forgotten realms, you really dont know forgotten realms mate.

I don't agree, I could not finish Bg2 or even start ToB because I hate high level DnD and I got extremely bored of the magic system where you counter a spell and that spell has a counter spell and then there are counter counter spells plus you have to cast about 10 minutes of buffing spells that by the time you are done the first buff spells you cast are almost running out of time. then you have the multiple counter counter spell in conbats, its fucking tedious shit after the 100th time, its like playing rock paper scissors with special effects. I really dislike high level magic users, they ruin the game IMO.

I love low level and mid level D&D though, but i know not many people agree with me on this point. I just think they are wrong though, Low level and mid level D&D is awesome, especially 1st edition and 2nd edition. I prefer 1st edition to be honest.

BTW, I did like the NWN low level modules, I have played most of them, and I agree they are good.

Unwanted
Shitposter
Nazi death cult center of jew medicine avoidance
Ultima IV + Ultima V. I never played til 6 and could not get into them enough to make it all the way. Though I am pretty sure I got 2/3 through U IV.

Wiz 8 too much badly level scaled combat.

Morrowind. Gave up in disgust at the UI.

NWN. Just couldn't give a crap.

Terror From the Deep. Beat me as well.

Wizardry IV. I did I-III but this kicked my ass with ease.

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor . Crap game.

System Shock 2. I just never got into it somehow.

Dark Sun. Not sure if it was the first or second but I just couldn't beat the last battle.

Realms of Arkania. Started but never went far. Some day I will do it.

Gothic 2. Sorta crap. All the problems of G 1 except moreso

Ultima Underworld. I simply could not see anything.

Krondor II. Complete crap.

Ultima VIII. Even more crap.
Ultima 9. Way crapper than that, even.

Something called wizard's crown? Very hard old game.

Probably more.

Looks like I am quite the wuss.

Lhynn

Arcane
I don't agree, I could not finish Bg2 or even start ToB because I hate high level DnD and I got extremely bored of the magic system
Magic system was the best part of BG2 combat, that and a encounter design that put it to good use. So far you only seem to hate on the aesthetic, and i agree, its not for everyone, but it is by no means bad

where you counter a spell and that spell has a counter spell and then there are counter counter spells
I honestly have no idea what game you played, but it wasnt BG2, it had hard counters, and they were pretty fun to pull off, but that wasnt all there was.

plus you have to cast about 10 minutes of buffing spells that by the time you are done the first buff spells you cast are almost running out of time.
If you did that it means you had to rest before every encounter, and yeah, i agree, if you cut your dungeon delving for 8 hours every 15 minutes 10 of which you spend using all the defensive spells you know, it would be extremely boring, thank god no one actually plays like that, or needs to, the game isnt THAT punishing.

then you have the multiple counter counter spell in combats, its fucking tedious shit after the 100th time, its like playing rock paper scissors with special effects. I really dislike high level magic users, they ruin the game IMO.
If encounters were similar, then yeah, but as i stated before, encounter design saves this game, you have good, varied fights pretty often. High level magic users are overpowered, but this is a party based game where warriors are a important part of the group even if they are not gods, makes for fun gameplay. Plus the game is soloable by every class so even if you could argue its unfair to some classes, they all can get the job done, and at the end of the day its all that matters.

I love low level and mid level D&D though, but i know not many people agree with me on this point. I just think they are wrong though, Low level and mid level D&D is awesome, especially 1st edition and 2nd edition. I prefer 1st edition to be honest.
Yeah, gameplay tends to be pretty different at low, mid and high levels in D&D, its quite an achievement, as most games nowadays manage to feel exactly the same no matter what level you are. But its your taste, it doesnt mean its shit its just not enjoyable to you, but i love quality high level gameplay, and few games pull that off.

BTW, I did like the NWN low level modules, I have played most of them, and I agree they are good.
Yeah, honestly given me more hours fun than any other game.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Despite giving them a good try? Well that's not a lot then.

Anachronox, at first. I'm going through it right now but I had to slog through that one scientist section. But now I have MAGIC.

Dragon's Dogma. The game felt really long, like almost endless, and when Dark Arisen came out I just couldn't find the life in me to continue. The game is good, and I might buy Dark Arisen for my 360 when I have the cash and the time.

The Witcher. The combat, the MMO quests, a real bummer. The story was above average, the lore was pretty good and the alchemy? Beautiful. But everything else, eh.

Baldur's Gate 2. I wanted to finish the first one, I did, but now I want to finish both using appropriate mods. It's been a pain to get them all working.

Way of the Samurai. I cannot into Japanese swordplay. :argh:

Final Fantasy Tactics. I lost my save real close to the final boss. I'm gonna start a new play-through using the LFT mod someone reccommended here on the Codex. I forgot your name, but thanks. :salute:

Volgarr the Viking. I'm not a big fan of NES-era platformers, it just felt like I was memorizing rather than reacting. I'm guessing I just suck, so I dunno.

Ultima Underworld. I loved this game to death - so much so I didn't want to finish it. I'll rectify that soon enough.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
From the top of my head:
Spelljammer - because of bugs can't find Neogi mothership.
Aleshar - botched character that can't survive trolls.
Also this:
Deuce Traveler said:
Battletech: The Crescent Hawks Revenge: Holy crap this game is tough!

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
What the fuck are you even talking about? higher levels in BGII are arguably the best part of the game.
Higher levels in BG2 are fine. Not the best part of the game, that would be all the cool, huge sidequests that you usually do in chapter 2, but fine.

Higher levels in BG2 + ToB are not fine at all. They are like someone took a particularly retarded modder who loves to add lots of op shit with complete disregard for the impact it will have on gameplay and then multiplied his ideas by five. +6 weapons with skills that give you 10 attacks and make all attacks critical hits, how fun is that, right? Well, it's not fun at all, especially in tandem with the rest of ToB's content that's rather uninspired apart from the Watcher's Keep.

hell bovine

Arcane
What the fuck are you even talking about? higher levels in BGII are arguably the best part of the game.
Higher levels in BG2 are fine. Not the best part of the game, that would be all the cool, huge sidequests that you usually do in chapter 2, but fine.

Higher levels in BG2 + ToB are not fine at all. They are like someone took a particularly retarded modder who loves to add lots of op shit with complete disregard for the impact it will have on gameplay and then multiplied his ideas by five. +6 weapons with skills that give you 10 attacks and make all attacks critical hits, how fun is that, right? Well, it's not fun at all, especially in tandem with the rest of ToB's content that's rather uninspired apart from the Watcher's Keep.
I'd say weapon combat was the least problematic. High level wizard magic was just broken and turned mages into gods, even with that mod that restored the tougher versions of main enemies. I had fun with an evil sorceress vs tactics mod game, but the game didn't really make sense roleplaying wise.

The memorable games I've never got around to finish were Morrowind and Age of Wonders (loved the little frog riders! and dire penguins!). There were some games I've tried but didn't like, so I'm not sure if playing for a few hours and then uninstalling counts.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Arcane spellcasters were usually op in IE from almost the very start and allowed you to easily cheese through most combat situations. Pure melee classes were not. And then ToB happened.

Morrowind is the game that got me through two deployments. I feel like it is one of those games where real-life circumstances will dictate how much you like it. In my case, I had access to three games: Deus Ex, Fallout 2, and Morrowind (this was back in the early-mid 2000s). So those are the three that I played, pretty much for nine months straight. Morrowind was cool as fuck because I could put on my headphones, lock the door to my shop, look at some cool giant mushrooms and neat buildings, and fucking forget I was on a goddamn boat in the middle of the Gulf. At least for a little while.

Yeah if you got a ton of time to kill, Morrowind is alright I guess, since it's so huge, and theres a ton of shit to find and read.

Krondor was pretty hardcore. It got quite difficult at the end, if you weren't cheating.

Really? It was really easy for me because every spellcaster I had (Owynn, Patrus, and then Pug) had that freeze spell. I even thought about not using it, cause it seemed like cheating, but if you don't use it, the combat becomes too hard. It's basically either you freeze the tough enemies (casters mostly), or they shred your party. Not the best combat system ever, but great game overall.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Fucking BMC whiners, they weren't nearly as bad. It just became something people repeat like parrots.

Actually, the most powerful weapons of the series are in SoA, the likes of Flail of Ages, Crom Faeyr, Carsomyr, Equalizer (underrated offhand weapon, damage bonus applies to mainhand as well and is one of the only ways of adding more melee damage aside from STR, weapon proficiency and gauntlets of weapon expertise/extraordinary specialization) and Staff of Magi.

ToB just added powerful weapons for groups that were arguably not represented as well in the SoA (Spears, Daggers, Bastard swords, crossbows etc.) and made +6 weapons available (some through upgrade of the SoA ones) which only makes a difference for Absolute Immunity in my experience.

Even when it comes to other equipment, what in ToB compares to Robe of Vecna, Ring of Gaxx, Cloak of Mirroring, Shield of Relfection etc.? Just don't see it.

Fucking BMC whiners, they weren't nearly as bad. It just became something people repeat like parrots.

They kinda were. And I say this as someone who beat Arcanum with a mage specializing in Force. I one shot every single thing in BMC with Disintegrate, but even so it was annoying as hell. I kept running out of stamina, and had to keep running back to the entrance to rest once i ran out of potions. So I can only imagine how annoying they were to all the other builds that actually had to deal with damage immunity, weak damage, etc.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Actually, the most powerful weapons of the series are in SoA, the likes of Flail of Ages, Crom Faeyr, Carsomyr, Equalizer (underrated offhand weapon, damage bonus applies to mainhand as well and is one of the only ways of adding more melee damage aside from STR, weapon proficiency and gauntlets of weapon expertise/extraordinary specialization) and Staff of Magi.
You just named 5 weapons for a huuuge game, only one of which can be obtained early, two are very late game items and two are a reward for pretty difficult sidequests (and both class exclusive), also two of them can be upgraded in ToB. ToB introduces a lot of +5 and 6 weapons that also have effects like level drain, instakill or very high added dmg. Anyway, my point was not about weapons as such, the itemization in this game is very good and they are still fun to loot/create (though not as fun as vanilla BG2). It was mostly about the retarded abilities that epitomize "not fun" for me and I always delay them through tweaks so that they will appear only at a point where I will drop the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom