Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs you could not complete

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, since not only is it a long game, but there's also pokemon grind mechanics, having to find all of the demonic bugs or whatever to get to some other bosses: I just don't have the time to play the game. It's a fun enough game, but the meta is pretty much spam AOE debuffs, charge main character, then hit for huge physical damage. I love the theme of the game though.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Morrowind : I ruined my savegame, i don't really know how.

Probably the game ruined it for you, Morrowind is notorious for save-game corruption. Never quicksave spam or overwrite any save.

And Neverwinter Nights. Hated having to fight the camera all the time; why the fuck could the game not allow me to use a fixed first person view when I control only one motherfucker? Will give another try som day, but not the ultra bland original campaign.

I think you'd like the combat-centric Hordes of the Underdark.

A few more from me:

Drakensang - Sorry, I respect the ruleset is fine but this game was bland, uninspired and slow-paced. Three times I tried it over the years, each time I uninstalled after two hours because I'd rather be playing D&D in NWN1/2.
Beyond Divinity - This game bored me to tears, I don't remember much because I uninstalled after 30mins. I haven't had the slightest inkling to revisit it.
Daggerfall - I appreciate this game's historical value, but I've never been able to play it for longer than a few hours. I also didn't play it before Morrowind...

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Dragon Age Origins: This game just bothered me in a number of ways. I didn't like the characters or the dialogue, or the sexualized discussions that seemed written by a 14-year old. But I can overlook that if the combat is good. But the combat wasn't good. And I gave up in that forest filled with trash combat against talking LoTR trees and werewolves.

TOEE: I'm embarrassed I never finished this game, but when I played I was of the mentality that my characters needed to kill everything. So when they couldn't defeat the creatures in the elemental planes I rage quit and deleted my saves instead of calmly realizing that all I really needed to do was survive long enough to grab the McGuffins inside and run. Oops. I'll come back to it.

Final Fantasy 12: I quit halfway through due to the ridiculous grinding requirements and the fact that the game was delivered through the perspective of two retarded teenagers instead of making it about the Han Solo like steamship pirate or the twin brother out for revenge and restoration of his good name.

Quest 64: I played it, but it was boring and so I dropped it. The N64 really lacked in RPGs, which is amazing to thing about since CRPGs were big on most other Nintendo platforms.

Saga Frontier: I loved the game's concept, but another that was too grindy.

Battletech: The Crescent Hawks Revenge: Holy crap this game is tough!

Syndicate: It's not what I was expecting. I guess I was hoping for a cyberpunk version of X-Com and got something quite different and not turn-based.

NWN2 Mask Of the Betrayer: By this time I just got burned out on a game engine that I really couldn't stand. Not sure when I might revisit.

Many roguelikes, though I do love them.

A user named cat

There were so many games I've left unfinished or simply lost interest in, I wouldn't even know where to begin. Adventure, RPG, strategy, sim racing, hell, even old Madden franchises I quit halfway into a season never to return. I can't believe anyone here can even come up with a competent list.

The latest would have to be Divinity: OS and that is unfortunate. I have no idea why I've stopped playing but don't really have much interest in getting back to it, been a couple weeks now. I think I was in some desert area with howling wind and battling those annoying fucking burrowing spammers while being under-leveled. Maybe I stopped out of pure gaming laziness, maybe that whole area dragged me out of the experience or maybe it just doesn't capture what the first DD had despite superior combat mechanics. I don't know.

Neverwinter Nights (OC): First played it when it came out in early 2000s, thought it was a major step down from the Baldur's Gate games, but still stuck with it. Played all the way through to the final dungeon, with a mage character. Then I saved my only save inside the dungeon, and if I recall correctly, I couldn't rest there to memorize my spells, and couldn't defeat the enemies without the spells to progress. Quit after that. Then much more recently, I was replaying Baldur's Gate, the entire saga, and afterwards wanted to keep going with the AD&D theme and started on the NWN OC again. Big mistake. Playing it right after BG just made me cringe in a breakdancing manner, so yeah, quick uninstall.

Oblivion: Put in a bunch of hours into it, then the Oblivion Gates really started to piss me off. Same type of procedurally generated piece of ugly hell time after time, and literally no motivation to do them. No interesting story to drag you along, no addictive character building. By that point I was already the chief bozo of their mage guild, and they had me fighting some necromancer whose name sounded like an Italian mafioso, so I just said enough is enough.

Morrowind: Like many here, I tried many times to get into it, starting from when it first came out in 2003 to a few months ago, because there are these weirdos that keep insisting it's a great game. But I can never stick with it (at least so far). Everything about it rubs me the wrong way. The god-awful combat, the ugly graphics, the boring character development system, the wikipedia dialogue, the terrible level design and NPC scripting, a loot system I hate, a magic system I hate, and exploration that inevitably leads to some cave where you fight through some ugly elves to find some coffin with some loot you dont like. I dont know, maybe it gets better later on, but I can never make it through the first several hours.

Ultima III: Got all the way to the final battle, got my ass kicked. Found out that I haven't properly increased my stats in a different place. Oh well. Might go back to it someday.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Elder Scrolls games [becouse there is so much to do - especially with mods for the new ones like Skyrim -that it is very hard to actually "complete" and "finish " these games]:
1. It took me about 350hours to finally complete Morrowind with Bloodmoon [created about 20 characters ] .
2. It took me about 5 years to complete Daggerfall [not regular playing, but touch & go ] .
3. It took me over 550 hours to play Skyrim and in the end after trying over 60gb mods from Nexus to finally close the story line with all dlcs.
4. I never completed Arena from ES.
5. Never finished Oblivion and Shivering Islands but i spent near 400 hours in that game, mostly playing and have fun with mods like CraftyBits etc.
And im complete maniac of Elder Scrolls universe, i ve printed and covered in leather 2 large tomes of Encyclopedia Tamrielica, and regulary visit Imperial Library nerd site ;) .
It is one of my favourite fantasy settings for cprg, but it is pain that ever great visually and audio games like Skyrim or Oblivion were just very weak as base crpg, and only mods helped them a bit.
World created in these games [Skyrim and Oblivion mostly] is dying from shallow mechanics and quests, its such a waste becouse it could be legendary crpgs not only in terms of open world but
also as interesting - living -world. It has great Lore, wide selection of races, fine history - what it needs is only very rich and hand crafted world , filled with memorable NPCs, unique quests and reasonable
"end game" mechanics. Lack of depth is what keep me away from return into these games again, but in opposite i gladly back to Migh&Magic or Ultima, not to mention Fallout or other classics, even more linear, simple and less detailed - its hard to describe why . I just feel tired by ES way of presentation as a whole, it has too big conflict between wide open world and shallow, enclosed and too static mechanics . It has not changed since Morrowind a bit [even some engine code is same - as you can see if you are in a modding a bit].
Anyway they are one of the titles which moved imagination of every crpg gamer around.

Last edited:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Only counting games I liked:

The Summoning: The game is filled with puzzles which require a specific kind of object to pass, often from several levels ago. The first time, I got stuck at a level where you had to sacrifice something like a dozen of these objects. The second time, I got pretty far - the sewers, I think - but hit another one of those spots, and didn't want to restart the game a third time. This was before walkthroughs or common Internet access were a thing.
The Dark Queen of Krynn / Pools of Darkness: Done in by the ultra-hard battles with super-draconians/a small army of vampires, respectively.
Ultima IV / Ultima V: Solved most of the plot, done in by the grind. In Ultima V, I got as far as the final dungeon, and could never get past the room filled with a shitton of dragons.
Wizardry V: Due to resting too much to heal from their wounds, my characters turned into senile, forgetful wretches by the time I made good progress. Shame.
Wizards and Warriors: Badly designed underwater level in otherwise cool game.
Icewind Dale: Terminal case of boredom after a promising start.
Fate: The Gates of Dawn: After months exploring the monumental starter dungeon, I gave up, since not even consulting a walkthrough could get me past a specific timed puzzle. So, never really got to kill off Miras Athran or ride the cave train. :/
Nethack: Never survived past level 14 or 15, didn't stoop to savescumming.
Final Fantasy IV/Final Fantasy V: Lost my motivation somewhere along the way.

Absalom

Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception. Played a cracked copy the first time, so was not able to solve the final puzzle. Second time I couldn't stomach the constant real time random encounters.
Real time? It was turn based BRO, unless you're thinking of the sequel. (First one was also a huge piece of shit)

Escape Velocity Nova: Forget why, exactly, but some story mission made me massively butthurt because of forced gameplay bullshit

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Sometimes I look at the game and can't really remember if I ever finished it or dropped somewhere in the late game. And when it comes to old games, that's even harder to recall. I could swear I finished Might&Magic VII and VIII, but don't remember the ending. Same goes for Bard's Tale, Eye of the Beholder 2 and 3 (the first one was completed, I'm 100% positive on this) and a ton of other games.

Actually, we need a "I'm suprised I ever finished it thread". Now "Blackguards" I won't forget for a long time. Since I like to play those tactical-squad games on hardest difficulty possible and since I knew NOTHING about "Blackguards" when I started it, it took me a bloody long time to finish the arena. I was near the edge of dropping the game for good, but then "sigh, ok, one last try". After dozens of "last" tries I actually made it. And although the rest of the game wasn't too hard to complete, that fucking arena... Gods, I still cannot believe I went through this.

Natreg

Novice
Might and Magic World of Xeen: I played it and almost finished the Clouds of Xeen part, but I stopped playing and I lost my savegames on a reinstall. I'm playing through all Might and Magics, so I'll get to it sooner or later.
Final fantasy X: I got to the end, but the completionist in me wanted to finish the sphere grid completely and got bored doing that. I still have the saves and probably resume my play eventually.
Final Fantasy IX: Started it, and stopped playing after a while. Didn't like it all that much.
Final fantasy The After Years: I did a few chapters but playing it after playing Final Fantasy IV made it a little repetitive. I'll eventually go to this since I really like final fantasy IV
Final Fantasy XIII: Played it for a few hours, didn't like it...
Dragon Age 2: I loved Dragon Age Origins, but I didn't like this one all that much. I tried playing it several times. Last time my Graphics Card broke and couldn't continue playing.
Baldur's Gate 2: I played the first one looking forward to play the sequel, but when I did get to the sequel I was way to burn up with Infinity Engine games.
Icewind Dale: Started it, a few times but never went too far into the game.
Lands of Lore 2: I played it after playing Lands of Lore 1, but the 3D engine gets on my nerves.
Elder Scrolls Arena: Wanted to start the elder scrolls games from the beginning, but the random quests and dungeons became too boring.
Elder Scrolls Oblivion: Almost went to the end game the first time I played but got bored of the repetitive Oblivion Portals. Other times I started the game didn't get that far.
Neverwinter Nights: Got to the second part of the game but I lost my savegames....
Deus Ex: I really like this game, tried several times to play it but for some reason I always stop playing around the same part of the game....
Elvira 2: Elvira 1 was quite easy to beat, but Elvira 2 got really difficult when I was a kid.
X-Com Ufo Defense: Love this game, but it always beats me :D

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There were so many games I've left unfinished or simply lost interest in, I wouldn't even know where to begin. Adventure, RPG, strategy, sim racing, hell, even old Madden franchises I quit halfway into a season never to return. I can't believe anyone here can even come up with a competent list.

The latest would have to be Divinity: OS and that is unfortunate. I have no idea why I've stopped playing but don't really have much interest in getting back to it, been a couple weeks now. I think I was in some desert area with howling wind and battling those annoying fucking burrowing spammers while being under-leveled. Maybe I stopped out of pure gaming laziness, maybe that whole area dragged me out of the experience or maybe it just doesn't capture what the first DD had despite superior combat mechanics. I don't know.
Well, perhaps you'd feel compelled to finish it if you bought the game.

:troll:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Finaru Fantasy VII/VIII/IX/X/XII - got fed up with every one of these after some time, everything, story, combat, dungeons, boring dialogue, silly characters...I think VIII was the one I got the closest to completing, I don't know why.
Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim - boredom, shitty quests, I didn't like the combat.
Space Hulk - I played it when I was a kid and really liked it but some missions were too hard for me so I gave up.
Lionheart - the usual reason, game gets shitty at some point
A lot of modern popamole shooters - boring as fuck.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm generally very good about finishing games, I tend to get antsy when I don't. Leaving aside ones I abandon quickly because I know I won't like it...

Arx Fatalis.
I liked it, but I was playing it in 2012 or something and it was just oh so clunky. The clunkiness, the combat, and me being pretty shit at it all combined to make the setting immershun fall away.

Lionheart. Of course.

Blackguards might end up on this list, it went on hold when M&MX came out and I never went back. I don't know, it's a cool game but there was something about the plodding pace and the lack of polish. I suspect it just lost out with all the other tactical TB grid games coming out around it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception. Played a cracked copy the first time, so was not able to solve the final puzzle. Second time I couldn't stomach the constant real time random encounters.
Real time? It was turn based BRO, unless you're thinking of the sequel. (First one was also a huge piece of shit)

Maybe my memory is faulty, but I could swear the overland travel was in real time, while the actual battles were turn based. Anyway, the encounter frequency killed it for me.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Might and Magic - World of Xeen - didn't own the game, borrowed if off friend and played on my Dad's work laptop in the 90s. Only had access to playing it when I could use my Dad's laptop or when I had the CDs.

Dark Sun Shattered Lands
- borrowed game from friend, sometimes he would ask for it back and I wouldn't have the manual to be able to continue past a checkpoint.

Icewind Dale 2 - First playthrough I got stuck in the Fell Woods, and then every other playthrough after that I've got bored / interrupted after getting up to the Underdark. I don't really like the 3E conversion ruleset anyway. Would have been better as a 2E game.

Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader - got bored

Summoner - got bored

Pool of Radiance (new one) - Neverwinter Nights came out?

Neverwinter Nights 2 - got up to like the very last external area, and then stopped playing. Performance issues prevent me from playing it again, I will not play games that run at < 30 FPS.

Morrowind/Oblivion - don't like th Elder Scrolls engine, don't really enjoy first person RPGs, I prefer isometric or 3rd person. The level scaling pissed me off something shocking in Oblivion.

Fallout 3 - played the intro, exited the Vault and then was reminded why I don't like the Bethesda engine. Quit the game.

Dungeon Siege - got bored I guess? Wasn't too bad but was never really into it as much as other games around that time.

Sacred - got bored

Planescape Torment: last playthrough attempt woulda been I dunno 2004 or 2005 or something, I remember recruiting Dakkon and fighting some rats or something, just didn't appreciate "good writing" at the time. At this stage I was only just starting to watch "proper" TV shows.

Temple of Elemental Evil: Can't remember why I quit, I got pretty far down. Probably a reformat. The UI/etc sucks anyway so I'd just rather play KotC or an IE game over this.

There's a few games I currently have installed that I haven't finished yet due to various reasons:
Knights of the Chalice (bout half way through?)
Wasteland 2
Divinity: OS
Expeditions: Conquistador
(probs 75% complete)

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Realms of Arkania. I don't know why I haven't finished a single one. I've played parts of Blade of Destiny and Star Trail and I really liked them.
Dragon Age: Origins. I think I was near the end but I couldn't take it anymore and didn't care enough about the setting, the characters or anything at all enough to continue.
Most roguelikes. I played a lot of ADOM but pretty much every other one I've tried, I stopped after like an hour.

I'm sure there's a lot of shitty games I dropped after 5 seconds but those are the only RPGs I can think of right now. The list of games where I lost interest about 3/4 of the way through but forced myself to finish the game and get it over with anyway would be a much longer list.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The Bard's Tale II. Arguably the weakest in the series.

Arcanum. The wonked out combat just made so much of the game so fucking tedious. But I really, really liked everything else about it.

The first Metroid. That motherfucker.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Morrowind: Like many here, I tried many times to get into it, starting from when it first came out in 2003 to a few months ago, because there are these weirdos that keep insisting it's a great game. But I can never stick with it (at least so far). Everything about it rubs me the wrong way. The god-awful combat, the ugly graphics, the boring character development system, the wikipedia dialogue, the terrible level design and NPC scripting, a loot system I hate, a magic system I hate, and exploration that inevitably leads to some cave where you fight through some ugly elves to find some coffin with some loot you dont like. I dont know, maybe it gets better later on, but I can never make it through the first several hours.

Morrowind is the game that got me through two deployments. I feel like it is one of those games where real-life circumstances will dictate how much you like it. In my case, I had access to three games: Deus Ex, Fallout 2, and Morrowind (this was back in the early-mid 2000s). So those are the three that I played, pretty much for nine months straight. Morrowind was cool as fuck because I could put on my headphones, lock the door to my shop, look at some cool giant mushrooms and neat buildings, and fucking forget I was on a goddamn boat in the middle of the Gulf. At least for a little while.

Ovg

Cipher
Hmm, I'm quite good at playing shitty games, but I couldn't bring myself to finish risen 1 due to reptile swarms, the fall last days of gaia because I lost interest and perhaps betrayl at krondor, since I couldn't aford the time to read the books.

Renevent

Cipher
Both Witcher games. Not going to say they suck because they are clearly well made games...the focus on story and lackluster combat/leveling/items eventually wore me down though. I'll probably buy The Witcher 3 anyways...I hope this time around the open world stuff will offset any boredom I have with the focus on story.

Actually that's a big reason for any of the games I don't finish...some of the other ones are games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Guess that makes me a combat fag.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Oh yeah, the Witcher! I have never finished the first one. I honestly don't get all the love for it, I think people's standards are lower because it is a potatoland game. I think if some Americans made it, it would be routinely shat on.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm only gonna mention games that I've started on multiple times and/or WANTED to complete.

Pools of Darkness: I played through all 4 games in 2000, by the time I was hopping between dimensions I was burned out, only just managed to beat Thorne and then be done with it. No, I'm not gonna try again.

Syndicate - American Revolt: I beat the original, but the expansion pack is one of the most brutal games out there. I had 3 missions left by the time I packed it in. (To this day I only know of one guy who has completed American Revolt.)

Gothic 3: Too big, feels too much like an MMO, and of course all the bugs. Community Patch ain't gonna fix this.

Legend of Faerghail: I spent too much time on trying to beat this game. Bad translation from original German wasn't helping for some of the riddles, but then later I realized that I was playing an older, buggier build than was the standard, even though it was a retail copy.

Space Hulk (1994): While I got pretty far, I could never beat the later missions.

Albion: Mandatory grinding killed this game for me.

Icewind Dale - Trials of the Luremaster: I've beaten the original, I've beaten Heart of Winter, but never this. By that time I just don't feel like going on for some reason.

Lost Vikings: I reached the endboss, but gave up on trying to beat him.

Buck Rogers - Countdown to Doomsday: I played this much earlier than the Pool of Radiance series, and as a result I wasn't quite as "aware" of what needed to be done. I got as far as Mercury, but that was it.

Spellcasting 201: I could never beat the first hazing puzzle. When I consulted a walkthrough years later I understood why, you really can't waste any time exploring in this game.

Cave Story +: Twice now I've tried to finish this game. Twice now I've given up in frustration because some insignificant decision on my behalf ruined my chance of getting the true ending of the game. (Later I saw a video of the last part of the game, and I don't really feel bad about giving up.)

Descent 2: I beat D1 and D3, but D2 always kicked my ass, the L12 boss in particular. Sadly I think the Descent games have gotten too old for me to try again.

Lemmings: There was one level that completely stumped me back in the day about 2/3 of the way through.

Privateer: That escort mission out of Oxford proved too much for me.

Star Wars KOTOR: I had a go at it once. Once. [/Joe Piscopo]

Deadly Rooms of Death 4 - Gunthro and the Epic Blunder: Considering I've beaten the other three games in the series (and two of them with 100% completion rate) I find it a little troublesome that I can't bother completing this one. It's just uninteresting. It's also the reason why I haven't purchased DROD 5 yet.

Titan Quest: This was just earlier this year, I played through a boring Diablo clone until the endboss proved to be a Wall of Difficulty. I saw no reason to bother, Uninstall.exe.

Warhammer - Shadow of the Horned Rat: It's deliberately one of the hardest games ever made, finding the "right path" through it is a challenge in and of itself. I never even got to Athel Loren.

Warhammer - Dark Omen: Somehow not as fun as its prequel, never interested me that much.

Zeliard: I always thought I'd just scratched the surface of this game. I recently watched a LP and I realied I had reached past the half-way mark. Shame the game is shit.

Grimwulf said:
Actually, we need a "I'm surprised I ever finished it thread".

I agree, bet there would pop up a few surprises from that one.

CryptRat said:
I remember being stuck by text enigma at several games like Legend of Fearghail

Glad to know I was not the only one. The simple riddles were fine, it was that big-ass long one in the Dwarven Mines that was permanently ruined by lousy translation.

Lhynn

Arcane
Only game i should finish that i havent managed to is planescape torment.

Other than that :
- Expeditions Conquistador bored the fuck out of me me. The game itself was decent enough, but the setting wasnt very interesting and the writing and characterization didnt do anything to keep me interested. Too much better stuff to play or replay.
- Gothic 1: combat gave me cancer. The rest of the series i didnt play because i wanted to play one after the other in succesion.
- Twicher 1 & 2: geralt is such a massive cunt i cant bring myself to care
- Eschelon book: had fps issues (seriously what the fuck) and was boring. RIP Vogel
- KotC: had a bullshit ambush mid game that made me rage quit back in 2009, then i changed my PC and havent reinstalled. Some day when i have nothing else to play ill give it another go.
- MMX: i still wake up sweating during the night after having nightmares of those loading times. Good game tho, some day ill get back to it.
- Two Worlds: It got too freaking easy, and neither the writing nor characterization made me care. Not an awful game tho, a little time waster. Ive yet to get the sequel to try.
- Morrowind: looks like heaven to someone with a lot of free time.
- Oblivion: Meh
- Skyrim: why the fuck would anyone play the story?
- IWD 2: i didnt finish this game at a time i was desperate to play iso IE games, thats like a really fat and hungry dude leaving cake alone, but it was so fucking BSB.
- Blackguards: The story and the lead bored me, but the combat was alright, maybe in the future when i have nothing to play.
- Drakensang and the river of time: should give them another try sometime, but nwn1 fan modules spoiled me, it just doesnt measure up to them.
- D:OS soon.

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
Wiz8. Much as I love that game, I get battle exhaustion by the time I reach the peak.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom