Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you cannot stop replaying

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter

I know. So - it was Disney game. But I don't feel dirty.

I added the "ooo" mod that did some great things. I always played on hardest difficulty.

Some of the battles then were literally impossible to do.

I liked the main quest. Jean Luc Picard and Sean Bean - for goodness sake.

Enchanting clothes for armour.

Kvatch. The Oblivion gates.

A brush with death where you go into a painting. Lifting the Vale.

Psst over here retard in Skingrad

Shrug - I dunno - I really loved it. It's better than Baldurs Gate or Alpha Protocol to be sure.

Better than Dragon Ages or Witchers.

Might be a crap RPG - least you could play it

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
templer.jpg

Shocking, I know.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
is this Dark Mysteries mod in english? what does it do exactly.
It's a first big mod for Gothic1, so big and liked it's often called "Night of the Raven for Gothic1".
New places, new paths (you can be Old Camp Guard, Guru or Magnate, which was impossible in vanilla), like most mods for G1 - you can pay a visit to bandit camp, which was useless in basic game.
And new quests and ton of items of course.
Problem is - like most mods for Gothics you must play with guide or walkthrough, otherwise bugs occur or important quests fail. Sometimes they can be fixed with console command, sometimes not.
And only old version (1.04) is in English, while new one (2.02) is not.

Gondolin

Arcane
Sid Meier's Colonization

colon4.gif

colonization-colony-screen.jpg

Oh, man, don't post pictures. I haven't played this since... last year. Which was when I realized that I had been playing Colonization off and on for 20 years. Fuck. Even thought of doing an LP. Granted, I would've abandoned it on page 3, but still...

rado907

Savant
Used to play lots of Paradox games and FM; but managed to kick the habit.
And I load up Civ every once in a while like every good boy does.
Other than that, I often replay various games that I liked on a whim, but I rarely play a game more than twice in total.

Silva

Arcane
Alpha Centauri.
King of Dragon Pass.
STALKER (though I don't try too many mods like most people I see - its always Autumn Aurora or Misery 1 for me)

Kouvo

Augur
Original War
Age of Wonders: SM
Disciples II
Jagged Alliance 2

:love:

titus

Arcane
Patron
Gothic 1&2
Fallout 1&2
HoMM 3
Crusader Kings 2
Football Manager :?
Distant worlds
Aurora
Dwarf fortress
Rome total war

Last edited:

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I played around 400 hours of Dark Souls with various different builds and lots of PVP

I also did every ending in Fallout NV, with full runs for each character, coming to like 360 hours or something.

Having seen absolutely everything the game had to offer made me finally stop NV, and I think DS 2 kind of soured me on the series a little, although I do still occasionally reinstall DS1 and mess around for a while

Edit: I don't know how I forgot Mount and Blade: Warband.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Not solo, i find it too boring (requires use of summon-figurines, bleh, booooring)

i have finished it as TC, though. Didn't even use a full party, I like running with 4 units in my playthroughs now, with 25% xp nerf, for perfect XP parity by end game.

Personal rules I imposed on myself for my TC run:

1) no figurines
2) no food
3) no scrolls of paralysis/mealstrom
4) only 4 units

PoE is the very first crpg i've ever played in an iron man mode, btw. It's probably why I like the game so much; i fully admit it's not necessarily a great crpg, but that my own personal experience playing it first on normal, then hard, then potd and finally now on iron-man run-throughs have opened my eyes to the thrill, joy and excitement of iron-man modes.

I doubt i'll do a TCS playthrough tho, for the reasons stated above. I simply find the combat too boring with only 1 unit and then having to rely on pulling, kiting, splitting and summons. I'd rather roll with a 3-4 person party and not feel reliant on those tactics, while still having the experience of potd, expert mode and trial of iron.

Dedup

Augur
I usually end up replaying Pool of Radiance and the EGA version of Hero's Quest 1 at least once a year.

otsego

Cipher
TL;DR: stuck in the past like most of us.
Titles I often replay throughout the year or couple of years are tend to be ones that offer serious nostalgia or instant fun factor.
Other games like Fallout 1 I save for when I've largely forgotten the finer details... so it's like discovering them all over again.

51734-diablooverlord.jpg

Atmosphere still gives me the chills. Once or twice a year, plus with extra HD mods to change it up.

2-00-03.jpg

Wanton destruction and a story I enjoy (probably ingrained from childhood). Remorse and Regret back to back every once in a while.

Elder_Scrolls_-_Daggerfall_%2528DOS%2529_30.png

Never going to get tired of creating characters and plowing through dungeons until I fall into the void and get bored. Once a year.

civ3.jpg

Shouldn't come as a surprise. Though most prefer 4, I tend to enjoy 3 more.

Stonekeep.jpg

Not many fans of this around, but its another game that has stuck since I was a kid.

91986-Doom_%28World%29-5.jpg

Still more fun than modern shooters. So many mods and map packs.

sc7.gif

Like Civ, my choice is for the one that most consider inferior to its successor. Looking forward to that mod that makes HOMM3 look like 2 though...

laclongquan

Arcane
RPG:
Hammer Sickle. Then Silent Storm Sentinels. Then S2. In that order. Around 2 year for each cycle. 2015, 2013, 2011...
Not FNV yet because I played the shit out of it the first time. One year long session should have long break time.
NWN2, OC, MOTB, and SOZ. Out of them I only finish SOZ. The other two are still unfinished. In particular, OC is abandoned around the time of the siege or right behind it. Last time I try 4 major modules for it, good stuffs.
Space Rangers, if I feel the need of playing merchant robber.

TBS:
Alpha Centaury.
ROmance of Three Kingdom 10.
Patrician 3 OR Port Royale 2. I count them as the same type.

Academagia for when I feel the need of playing magical student in Hogwart~
Unreal World for when I feel like playing cavemen in ice age.

That conclude most of my 2 year cycle. There's less time for new games, I am afraid. Even AoD will have to wait until after content patches.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
[Insert Metal Slug game here, I prefer Metal Slug X]
Crimson Clover
Fallout
God Hand
Final Fantasy Tactics
Age of Wonders
Streets of Rage 2
Doom/Heretic/Hexen (It varies)
[Insert Soldak game here]
[Insert Ys game here]
Deus Ex.

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Yep, Doom.
Also Quake & Quake II
Unreal
Every MechWarrior game, esp. MW2: Mercenaries

I haven't actually replayed that many RPG's all the way through, though there are several I've started lots of times.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Max Payne, once every winter.
FEAR, whenever I get an itching for a satisfying FPS this is my go to game.
Unreal, I return to this game every so often for some reason.
Deus Ex, electronic old men, running the world.
Morrowind, I haven't actually finished the game more than a couple of times but yet it's one of my most played games.
Arcanum, I never stop playing at Tarant.
Civ 2 & 3, I prefer the second one but if I don't want to bother with the CD I just play the third.
Alpha Centauri, spent a ridiculous amount of time on this.
Master of Orion, whenever a new space 4X game is released I just play this instead.
DX-Ball 2, a somewhat guilty pleasure, I play it when I don't have time for anything else or while I wait for a game to download.

I don't really think it counts if you play new content released for an old game, but I also play new Quake, Thief and Doom maps regularly and also play a lot of NWN modules.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom