Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you cannot stop replaying

Baron Dupek

Arcane
There is less and less games I replay (since 2011 - there is none now). Before that it was usually:
-Deus Ex (not every year but 3-4) obviously
-Arx Fatalis
-Dawn of War: Dark Crusade (I was bad at strategies and RTS except this one) there
-Diablo The Hell. Original was inspired by roguelike. This one is actual roguelike. But also it's p.hard and not full of colors, like other h'n's titles.
-Gothic trilogy - for unknown reason I was really late to the mods, only played Dark Mysteries and now can't stomatch Gothics anymore. Pity because there is at least three p.good ones to try.

Also - Stalker trilogy. It is the only FPS title, that I still played despite my burn out with FPS genre.
Then - year or so ago even this one is out. What a pity, it was my favorite genre years back.

likaq

Arcane
bloodlines-joke.jpg

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
From 1992 - 2015 Championship manager to Football manager - probably played this franchise more than all the others games put together.

Every time my team fails or succeeds, sacks a manager - I need to dive in and show 'em how it's done. Probably the best RPG ever.

You can play in many different ways.

Start very low and build your way to success with the same team or exchanging teams as you climb.
You can try and build an all English or all German/ Brazilian team etc
You can start as manager of your most hated rivals and cripple them as far as possible before getting the sack.
You can take on jobs in other countries and pretend you speak Spanish, German or Italian
You can mod the game and put family members and friends as players.
You can rebuild the 1966 England World cup team as young players and see how they do

Role playing possibilities are endless

Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind

Just so many options to do what you want. Go N, S, E or W. Explore. Be a very nasty individual. Be a paragon of virtue. Do magic, swords, thievery. Explore the modding scene.

Constant bound armour. Levitation. Knights of the Nine, Bloody dragons. A run through on oblivion on the hardest difficulty. Minotaurs.

Titan Quest Immortal Throne

I just wish I could play it and reach level 500. I wish there were more mods for it. Loot. Levelling. A large number of combinations to develop your character. Lovely graphics.

You can even learn about mythology. It's like going on vacation and giving your brain a rest. A bit like that game in ST Next Gen where the crew put on those glasses that gave them an orgasm every time they moved a ball into the hole or something. Wesley saved the day!

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A lot of Codex top RPGs.

Some roguelikes.

Binding of Isaac. I think I played this game more times than I wash my hands.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
-Gothic 1-2, I replay them once a year.
-FEAR and Quake, some times Doom
-Bloodlines, Deus Ex
-Age of Decadence (escalated really quick)
-And probably Invisible Inc.

Lemming42

Arcane
New Vegas for about 2 years, but I'm past it now.

All over Civilization V at the minute though.

I also seem to go back to Tomb Raider 2 every few months and play the whole thing in like a weekend. No idea why, but it's still fantastic.

Oh, and I played Age of Decadence nonstop with autistic passion for like 2 weeks when it came out. Like, finished a playthrough and immediately started the next.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Mount & Blade - this game is so simple yet so addicting and the mods...
I forgot to mention Rome: Total War

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Eh, the worst offender for me is Deus Ex. I play this game at least once each year. And lately since there is an overload of new mods and TCs, I've been playing it 2 or 3 times each year.

Other than that I've finished Bloodlines with all available clans and some of them 2 times. So basically once each year.
Fallout 1&2 3-4 times each.
Baldur's gate 1&2 same as above. Mostly 2 though. I've replayed 1 only when I used BGT.
Arcanum. First time I tried it, I stopped disgusted in the first area. 2nd time I played it to death for over 100h. Now I try to replay it every year but always drop it at some point. : MCA:

Is Doom even worth mentioning? I mean this game lives in the bloodstream of every self-respected PC gamer. It's like a self replicating AI that has provided foundation for all gaming, but at the same time it manages to live in its own awesome completely separate existence. Apart from finishing all official Dooms (i.e. 1,2 and add-ons, 3 isn't real doom lol) a gazillion times, I've also played most WADs worth mentioning. Well, it might have been "most" some years ago, new awesome wads pop-up constantly. Doom is the gift that keeps on giving.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
I rarely re-do something.

I rarely re-read books, re-watch music, re-play games.

Of course sandboxes, strategy games etc. don't apply to that rule.

From non-sandbox games I was playing Fallout 2 like mad when I was younger, and recently I've started replaying it. I've only stopped playing it because I knew the game by heart when I was 12.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
When I was young I had a much easier time replaying games. The ones I'd replay all the time were...

Secret of Mana
Sim City
Dungeon Keeper
X-Com / TFTD
Master of Magic
Master of Orion 2
Syndicate
Terranigma
Illusion of Time / Gaia
Super Mario World
Fallout
RoA 1-3
BG 2

Now that I got older replaying games just isn't that much fun. There's very few games that are worth replaying to me now:

X-Com / TFTD
MoM
MoO 2
Chrono Trigger (somehow always fun again)
ADOM / Crawl
Binding of Isaac
Most SHMUPS / Touhou games / CAVE games
Lands of Lore - never actually finished it but it's fun to try again every couple years; it's so pretty for 320x240!
Thief 1 / 2 but replays of those games take me years.
Deus Ex
System Shock 2 (though I am getting tired of it, I know it by rote memory. Just the other day I acted as a walkthrough for a friend who was streaming it - and I wasn't watching the stream.)
Bloodlines is fun once in a while too

Last edited:

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Deus Ex
HoMM3
Baldur's Gate 2
New Vegas
Doom
Knights of Honor
Stalker Pripyat
Civ V

Also...
Mass Effect :negative:

canakin

Cipher
Fallout
HoMM 2&3
Dawn of War campaigns
Planet Alcatraz
Man of Prey
World in Conflict

Also I have strong feeling that Age of Decadence will get there, in time.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Hmm

Stalker games
Thief 1-2
Blood
ADOM
King's Bounty Crossworlds
Resident Evil 1 remaster

I would list some classic RPGs but I've replayed them to death so I don't get that must play feeling every time someone mentions Fallout or something.

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
There is less and less games I replay (since 2011 - there is none now). Before that it was usually:
-Deus Ex (not every year but 3-4) obviously
-Arx Fatalis
-Dawn of War: Dark Crusade (I was bad at strategies and RTS except this one) there
-Diablo The Hell. Original was inspired by roguelike. This one is actual roguelike. But also it's p.hard and not full of colors, like other h'n's titles.
-Gothic trilogy - for unknown reason I was really late to the mods, only played Dark Mysteries and now can't stomatch Gothics anymore. Pity because there is at least three p.good ones to try.

Also - Stalker trilogy. It is the only FPS title, that I still played despite my burn out with FPS genre.
Then - year or so ago even this one is out. What a pity, it was my favorite genre years back.

is this Dark Mysteries mod in english? what does it do exactly.

And to contribute:

most old fps game, Doom, Blood, etc.
Deus Ex for sure, nearly every year.
Fallout 1.
Arcanum.
Fallout New Vegas. (Have like 400 hours in this).

Neanderthal

Arcane
Have a few games that I keep installed: Severance: Blade of Darkness for me hack and slash fix, still not been beaten in my opinion. For me strategy fix, and some bloody good combat animations, I have Dawn of War: Dark Crusade with XP and FoK mods. Third person shooting I like that Punisher game from a few years back, some good stuff in that. RP stuff I usually play one of the usual suspects, Ultimas, Fallout, Torment, BG2 or the Witcher.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I rarely re-do something.

I rarely re-read books, re-watch music, re-play games.

Of course sandboxes, strategy games etc. don't apply to that rule.

From non-sandbox games I was playing Fallout 2 like mad when I was younger, and recently I've started replaying it. I've only stopped playing it because I knew the game by heart when I was 12.

I should apply that rule. Then perhaps I'd try new things more often. Of course, there are loads of games, like Bloodlines, that I've never finished (or Paradox games where I've never completed a game) because I get bored or distracted. Then when I return to it, either my save games are already gone because I've uninstalled the game at some point, or I want to start from the beginning anyway.

My list contains many of the usual suspects: Football Manager, Civ IV, Jagged Alliance 2, Hearts of Iron 2, Crusader Kings 1, Freespace 1 and 2, HoMM 2 and 3, Morrowind, SimCity 3000, Bloodlines, and so on. When I've got a weekend to myself, I also pay my respects to The Last Express every two years or so.

I would include Deus Ex, Crusader Kings 2, and Mount & Blade Warband in this list, but I've only started playing them in the last 1-2 years or so, so it remains to be seen whether I'll keep coming back to them, or if they'll disappear eventually.

DoomIhlVaria

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here I'm very into cock and ball torture
Also I have strong feeling that Age of Decadence will get there, in time.

I'm already there with Age of Decadence. I've played it through it completely with six builds so far and partially with three or four stillborn builds. I've clocked 63.8 hours so far and 75% of the cheevos. Every time I think that I'm done with it, a few days pass and then I come up with a new build that I want to try. It's terrible.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Master of Magic, MoO2, System Shock, Legacy, F2, JA2, X-COM.

Definitely Civ 4 and 5 with and without mods. MoO 2. Morrowind. Wizardry 6 (never played 7... it just burns me out after finishing it) Fallout and Arcanum never changes. I rewatch movies and reread more times than I replay a game though.

Probably will re-roll PoE a few times. Shoot me.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
When I was young I had a much easier time replaying games. The ones I'd replay all the time were...

System Shock 2 (though I am getting tired of it, I know it by rote memory. Just the other day I acted as a walkthrough for a friend who was streaming it - and I wasn't watching the stream.)

I should have added SS2 to my list -

Played it 2-3 times when it first came out. Moved on.

Played it another 2-3 times when I found the CD again after many years.

Played it again when mods came out.

Played it again when I bought it on Steam.

Played it again when I tried to get my boy to play it - he failed and I kicked him off and showed him my stuff.

Damn masterpiece.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom