Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

games with really good multiplayer

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
Guys, I'm getting really bored w/ singleplayer games lately. I barely have the time to immerse myself in any story and/or new setting to get to enjoy the experience. I'll probably be able to devote some more serious time to the latest releases only around Christmas. Up until then, I still need my gaming fix. So I was thinking of switching to playing some sort of competitive/ranked multiplayer games. I'm not restrained to a particular genre, but it has to be really good multiplayer. With multiple classes/kits/choices of how to deal with things. It should also have some sort of ranking-based matchmaking system integrated. I've been playing CS:GO and Dawn of War (1) lately. I don't know whether these count as good examples, but give me your ideas on some of the more interesting games to play in mp.

:salute:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Red Orchestra 2 + Rising Storm, good balance of realism and fun without being bitter adult military freak.
Planetsite 2 (for scale of battles alone).
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, taste best when you're tired of modern shooters.
Fistful of Frags worked like CS with movements and weapons work.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Considering only those which are active and in good standing nowadays:

RTS
Age of Empires III
Starcraft 2
Wargame series

FPP (PvP)
Red Orchestra 2
Natural Selection 2
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Counter-Strike 1.6 (CSS and CS:GO are imo way worse)

FPP (co-op, best with 'dexers)
ArmA 2
E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy
Killing Floor

MMO
Haven & Hearth
Dungeons & Dragons Online

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You come too late christiamdotmtr. Good multiplayer has been dead for a couple of years. If you're still young, you can have your brain rewired as a DotA turd proper, otherwise I recommend becoming a cynic.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
With multiple classes/kits/choices of how to deal with things. It should also have some sort of ranking-based matchmaking system integrated. I've been playing CS:GO and Dawn of War (1) lately. I don't know whether these count as good examples, but give me your ideas on some of the more interesting games to play in mp.

:salute:

Battlefield 3 or Bad Company 2. Maybe BF4 after they recently implemented a big patch.

And yes good competitive multiplayer games are long dead so you better approach these with low expectation.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
JK: Jedi Academy + Movie Battles II
Oh, eff yeah, JK was tons of fun in mp. Saber duels were a blast. But what is this Movie Battles you speak of? Gonna google that some day.

Red Orchestra

Red Orchestra 2 + Rising Storm, good balance of realism and fun without being bitter adult military freak.

Just tried RO2. Erm-- Idk, guys. I have played some cover-based tactical shooters before, and I can say they're not quite my cup of tea. It feels a tad repetitive after a while.

I was actually thinking of getting that, but seeing that it's F2P I'm worried that it's also pay2win or whatever. What's the business angle on this one?

Age of Empires III
Starcraft 2
Wargame series

Never liked how games liek AoE with massive turtling and over 9000 units. I much rather prefer Warcraft 3 and DoW1 with lesser units and gameplay that requires you to push out onto the battlefield from the start (for creeps XP and items in WC3 and Strategic Points in DoW). Starcraft 2 is -- the same, I guess. Except massive learning curve and micromanagement hell. I do like watching commentaries on games though. It's really amazing how some people play. But then I realize: are those guys actually 'playing', i.e. having fun? And I see their faces: LOL NOPE.

Wargame looks-- different. Maybe.

You come too late christiamdotmtr. Good multiplayer has been dead for a couple of years. If you're still young, you can have your brain rewired as a DotA turd proper, otherwise I recommend becoming a cynic.

I used to play Dota back when it was a WC3 mod. Sucked at it. Tried Dota2, sucked at that too. Way too steep learning curve. You actually have to spend a lot of time just reading build guides before you're actually any good at it. That's -- weird for me.

Thanks for the suggestions though :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
cristian.mtr
I was actually thinking of getting that, but seeing that it's F2P I'm worried that it's also pay2win or whatever. What's the business angle on this one?
Luckly, it's optional. For real money you can buy guns, items, attachments... things that you can buy for in-game currency. Nothing that make cheapskates inferior to rich players. No fear for being stomped by them.

And yeah, RO2 is repetitive. But when you like the gamestyle - you want to play more and don't worry about repetition.

Speaking about RTS - if you don't want something fast like SC2 then what about slower alternative?
There is community around Supreme Commander. Look for "FAF Forged Alliance Forever". From the same cup of tea you can check Planetary Annihilation, which was released some time ago.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It's a game that is all about tactics, there isn't much micromanaging beyond sending supplies with ammunition from time to time.

Always get the newest Wargame though. The day a new one is released, old Wargames tend to die instantly and just some players are left there.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Some MP games I enjoy:

Quake
Quake 3
Unreal Tournament

Killing Floor (co-op)
Nation Red (co-op)

Frozen Synapse
DEFCON
Worms Armageddon

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Another title - Insurgency. If you liked CS then this one is good choice. Same like RO2 in terms of realism dose but far more dynamic than RO2, more like CS I dare to say. It's glorious for the first time.

There is new Quake Live released on Steam some time ago. But be careful, reading changelog, from new patch, gave people (old Quake fans) tumor. Changes are insane and new machinegun for modern shooter maniacs and loadouts is least dumb thing from it.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Only game I've ever liked MP is Left 4 Dead 2. It's the rare MP game where the premise matches the gameplay perfectly, as much as in a zombie movie, the gameplay is all about working with complete strangers of varying skill levels to survive.

Co-Op gets boring, but team VS is great. I have 1,000 hours in the game.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
World in Conflict.

Don't be fooled by the fact that it's 7 years old game, it still looks phenomenal and the multiplayer servers are still operational. The game is phenomenally balanced, matches are extremely intense and team members have to cooperate to succeed. The game is pretty easy to get into (it has a pretty nice singleplayer campaign to boot) but becoming competitive level player requires hundreds of hours of practice.

Forget Starcraft 2, this one takes the cake as the champion of multiplayer RTS (or RTT if you prefer).

The music is awesome:

Public server multiplayer matches are generally 8v8, but there's everything from 1v1 up to 8v8. Here's some footage of 4v4 match mode multiplayer where people actually know what they're doing:

The camera is zoomed MUCH closer in default settings, but competitive people use mods to zoom the camera as far as possible to get a better view of the battlefield. I mention this since the game actually looks phenomenal when zoomed closer, but zoomed so far out your can't really enjoy the beauty.

On a side note, pay no attention to the Soviet campaign - it was made by a different developer and the quality is not up to par with the original American campaign.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Definitely can recommend Insurgency. Somehow, the community there is far better even on public servers than most other MP games I've played; certainly better than CS:GO, that is. But it is less skill based than CS, it's more of a twitch shooter and tests your reactivity more than your aim, crosshair placement, handling of weapons etc. Still fun every now and then.

Another great FPS MP is Tribes: Ascension, a good follow up to the original game. Fast paced, hard to learn, and definitely skill based. Weapons are tough to handle perfectly, skiing is one of the most awesome movement concepts in any FPS game I've ever played, and landing perfect shots or stealing flags at 250 kmph is extremely satisfying. It's not as big as it would deserve to be, but the community is active and you shouldn't have issues finding populated servers. Bad matchmaking though - it's level based, so at one point I hit a high level but now I'm constantly matched against players who are much, much better than I - and I don't seem to be improving :(

kazgar

Arcane
This sounds interesting

Multiplayer FPS where everyone gets to see everyone's location is via split screen, but all the player are invisible in the game world, you work out where the opponents are by seeing where they are moving via the split screen.

Cadmus

Arcane
JK: Jedi Academy + Movie Battles II
Oh, eff yeah, JK was tons of fun in mp. Saber duels were a blast. But what is this Movie Battles you speak of? Gonna google that some day.

Red Orchestra

Just tried RO2. Erm-- Idk, guys. I have played some cover-based tactical shooters before, and I can say they're not quite my cup of tea. It feels a tad repetitive after a while.

Age of Empires III
Starcraft 2
Wargame series

Never liked how games liek AoE with massive turtling and over 9000 units. I much rather prefer Warcraft 3 and DoW1 with lesser units and gameplay that requires you to push out onto the battlefield from the start (for creeps XP and items in WC3 and Strategic Points in DoW). Starcraft 2 is -- the same, I guess. Except massive learning curve and micromanagement hell. I do like watching commentaries on games though. It's really amazing how some people play. But then I realize: are those guys actually 'playing', i.e. having fun? And I see their faces: LOL NOPE.

I used to play Dota back when it was a WC3 mod. Sucked at it. Tried Dota2, sucked at that too. Way too steep learning curve. You actually have to spend a lot of time just reading build guides before you're actually any good at it. That's -- weird for me.

Thanks for the suggestions though :thumbsup:
Movie Battles 2 is the most fucking hardcore and awesome, majestic, cinematic asymmetrical multiplayer mod ever conceived by human beings. It's the Grimwah of JKA mods. You should try it out if you actually like Star Wars. I've had years of fun in that game.

DemonKing

Arcane
I would recommend Company of Heroes if you want a RTS.

Seconded - particularly if you have aging, non-Korean reflexes the pace is really good. I could never get into Warcraft 3 or StarCraft 2 because my entire force always seemed to be dead within 2 seconds of contact with the enemy (certainly before I'd had time to even target them) whereas I find CoH actually rewards unit placement and with fewer units the micromanagement is not too difficult to manage.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I haven't played the game since the first Armored DLC, so I wouldn't know. But I just bought all the DLCs like a huge faggot, so we'll see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom