Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with great equipment systems? (Best loot whoring games?)

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gregz What do you mean in need of Kickstarter support ? If PoE goes Kickstarter that would be sweet but as far as I can see, the game is near finished ?

Gregz

Arcane
Gregz What do you mean in need of Kickstarter support ? If PoE goes Kickstarter that would be sweet but as far as I can see, the game is near finished ?

Brothers, I have seen the light...the other side...and there is great hope. :5/5:

PoE is currently open beta, but to get a beta key you need to donate $10. According to GGG, the $10 will go towards further polish (server upgrades?) and better customer experience.

PoE will be free to play after release, and the devs have vowed not to include any 'pay2win' crap that we're seeing in D3. I honestly have no idea how these guys plan on getting paid, and I don't care, because this game is awesome.

I've been playing the last 5 hours. It's unreservedly the best Diablo clone I've ever played, and I've played them all (yes, even that one!).

It's your choice Codex...$10 for pure win (www.pathofexile.com) :D , or $60 for pure fail (www.diablo3.com/) :mad:. It's that simple.

PoE is a brilliant system of gameplay mechanics, it has to be played to be appreciated. I've read reviews and seen the youtube let's plays but it's an entirely different experience playing the game. The forums are very active, and GGG is still soaking up all the player feedback they can get. This beta should be huge news here at the Codex, instead we have a 130 page Diablo 3 thread.

:decline:

Get out there bros, make a difference, these guys need discerning gamers (although I've been very impressed with the beta people I've interacted with so far). If you have any interest in the aRPG genre, this game is a must play. Pirate the AAAs, make fun of them, etc. but help out fledging devs like these guys, the Wasteland 2 kickstarter was a worthy cause, this is equally so imo...especially in lieu of the disaster Blizzervision has recently deployed.

Stabwound

Arcane
PoE definitely has great potential. I've played the beta and I'm very stoked. These bros really seem to "get" the genre. In fact, they've been posting blog posts about how they're trying to steer away from design choices in recent games (was a very thinly-veiled comparison to Diablo 3) and I love how they're really working at making a game the fans will love.

The Cutthroat league is going to be amazingly fun, if done right. PVP everywhere, get all player;s loot on PK. What more can you ask for?

On another note, the Median XL mod is one I've been playing a bit today, and it's far and beyond the best loot whoring game I've ever played. D3 clearly tried to take influences from it, but fucked it up completely. Median XL's loot system is really, really good. I love how rares/uniques have special abilities that can't be found elsewhere; soemthing D3 should have done since day 1. Also cool is how you can reroll items and upgrade them to make them better. Not only are there tons of legendary items, but even the shit ones serve a purpose: you can disenchant them for crafting items to be used on other items.

I'm only a few hours into it and can say it's probably the best loot whore game there is so far, bar none. Path of Exile could definitely be a contender depending on how much they tweak/add to it. The existing skill gem systems and skill trees are already pretty damn awesome and unique in the genre.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Median is definitely a loot whore's paradise. My main gripe with the mod is how the gameplay falls apart at the end- the player and enemies both tend to one shot eachother (or attack 10 times a second and kill in 5 hits) which turns the game into a ridiculous kiting fest with a lot of serious gear checks forced by things that can't be avoided like homing arrows and huge AoE attacks and so forth.

However the entire normal game and about the first half of the special levels are all pretty interesting and allow for a variety of strategies.

You might want to check out Nezeramontias as well. It's skills aren't nearly as interesting and the loot isn't as complicated, but it's got some interesting uniqueness to it and does a couple things right (in particular it makes gold valuable even at the endgame, and has a lot of room for you to use powerful rare equipment that will be different on different characters through the 'soul' loot system.)

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
Huh? As much as I love G1 and G2 (probably my favorite (A)RPGs) itemization isn't one of the strengths of the game. There aren't really any unique weapons or armor.
The lack of quantity of loot was offset by the fact that every new piece of equipment felt like a leap over the previous making each new piece a joy. Quality over quantity is the core of enjoyable equipment systems.

Deakul

Augur
Not trolling. Being able to stack like items on top of each other to improve them, was very addicting to me. I really liked it.

I like to play Two Worlds for when I feel like just running around exploring and finding OP loot to stack on top of my already OP sets.
The people around here take it too seriously, it's a turn your brain off and go nuts RPG.

SinVraal

Educated
Not trolling. Being able to stack like items on top of each other to improve them, was very addicting to me. I really liked it.

I like to play Two Worlds for when I feel like just running around exploring and finding OP loot to stack on top of my already OP sets.
The people around here take it too seriously, it's a turn your brain off and go nuts RPG.
The Brotherhood has many interests and The Codex is no exception.

Stabwound

Arcane
Median is definitely a loot whore's paradise. My main gripe with the mod is how the gameplay falls apart at the end- the player and enemies both tend to one shot eachother (or attack 10 times a second and kill in 5 hits) which turns the game into a ridiculous kiting fest with a lot of serious gear checks forced by things that can't be avoided like homing arrows and huge AoE attacks and so forth.

However the entire normal game and about the first half of the special levels are all pretty interesting and allow for a variety of strategies.

You might want to check out Nezeramontias as well. It's skills aren't nearly as interesting and the loot isn't as complicated, but it's got some interesting uniqueness to it and does a couple things right (in particular it makes gold valuable even at the endgame, and has a lot of room for you to use powerful rare equipment that will be different on different characters through the 'soul' loot system.)
The thing I've disliked most about the mod so far is that some of the stuff is pretty derp. Like how one of the first items I got was a rare that had a very overpowered level 8 skill on it that allowed me to just run into a huge mob and decimate them all. I haven't played far into the game yet but it seems like the balance is a bit off. I also don't like how everything seems to be rainbows and multicolored for no real reason.

The loot system is definitely pretty awesome though.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Like how one of the first items I got was a rare that had a very overpowered level 8 skill on it that allowed me to just run into a huge mob and decimate them all. I haven't played far into the game yet but it seems like the balance is a bit off.

yeah medianxl is pretty much
1) loot whoring
2) getting ready and tweaking your character loadout for uberlevels and challenges to get loot better/survive said special levels

the rest of the game will probably fall to your epic equipment most of the time
you really should play more before you decide that one item soured you on it

also if you haven't tried a summoner necro do it

deuxhero

Arcane
Xenoblade has a fairly standard loot and equipment system, but it deserves a mention for being the only game I know of where fighting unarmored is actually viable for late game if you use the right skills because it realized armor boosts more than your defense stats and gave a skill to boost your other stats when unarmored.

epikitscheesy

Liturgist
In Gothic, the inventory is as primitive and uncomfortable as it gets but as far as I'm concerned, it's still a more rewarding loot experience than diablo.
Because it doesn't make you a whore, it makes you a treasure hunter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom