Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with GOOD Endings

Freddie

Savant
I recently played trough Resident Evil: Revelations 2 and I liked how it's endings were designed a lot.

+ Tone, scale, not saving the world but still something important, something easier to relate.
+ C&C, there are good and bad endings. Which one you get depends of choices made in previous chapter.

Kathy Rain
+ Ending as final stage in last game day
+ Epilogue leaves room for sequel but doesn't tease, stylish.

Shadowrun games by Hare Brained Scemes
+ Deadman Switch: Satisfying as whole, yet you can think of future adventures for your character in the game world.
+ DragonFall: Very interesting C&C and huge impact to game world.
+ Hong Kong: Depending your choices of course, but if you pick the good ending the slides that describe what will happen give you a picture of what is going to happen but leaves things to imagination too.

Mass Effect 1
+ The whole final stages to the Saren and confrontation.
+ Was satisfying, yet left lot's of room for future content (wasted opportunity).

Odd one perhaps and my memory may fail, but Command & Conquer: Red Alert had ballsy ending, certain attitude. Cut scene nostalgia?

Dark Forces
+ Final level, battles against droids in factory

And somewhere this came to mind:

Critical damage.System failing
Suicide capsuse in locker 3
We almost won ..e ..me
Goodb
ye
ye
ye
ye
ye​

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Torment was the first thing that came to my mind, possibly because the bit before the ending was kinda shit. The third act of the game was quite clearly unfinished crap, so that ending really stood out.

Repressed Homosexual
I don't understand why anyone likes Torment, it's a game whose only real message is "look at how tortured and edgy and fucked up and deep I am". It was clearly made when MCA suffered from depression. It's such a boring slog, clicking and slowly walking through pseudo gothic edgy whatever environments that look like backdrops to Dante's inferno to learn why every other NPC has his precious feelings hurt.

Cross

Arcane
I don't understand why anyone likes Torment, it's a game whose only real message is "look at how tortured and edgy and fucked up and deep I am". It was clearly made when MCA suffered from depression. It's such a boring slog, clicking and slowly walking through pseudo gothic edgy whatever environments that look like backdrops to Dante's inferno to learn why every other NPC has his precious feelings hurt.
If Planescape: Torment was as pretentious as you describe, then no, it wouldn't be as well-liked (at least not on the Codex). It's a good thing then that it isn't.

For reference, this is what dialogue from a pretentiously written game looks like:

fftloc.jpg

This is what dialogue from Planescape: Torment looks like:

ant-torm-lady.jpg

Last edited:

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I don't understand why anyone likes Torment, it's a game whose only real message is "look at how tortured and edgy and fucked up and deep I am".

There's one conversation where you're dealing with your alter-ego just before the ending that totally flips the game around on its head. It's the one where you're supposed to learn your real name. Unfortunately, they put it hidden away behind a dialogue option that appears to be just asking the NPC to repeat what they already told you.

On one hand, it's totally fucking inexcusable to make the proper ending to the game impossible to reach without a walkthrough. On the other, it is possibly the best ending to a game that I've ever seen.

Santander02

Arcane
NWN2 and Mask of the Betrayer's evil endings

The good endings are awful (nwn2) or meh (MotB)

Last edited:

thesoup

Arcane
The Witcher
It's bittersweet, but it kind of feels that you still somehow ended up losing. Cliffhanger / sequel hook aside. That was meh.

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
You can't break the cycles.

laclongquan

Arcane

This is an illustration of why the taste of people for writings are varied so much. Some will sneer at others' treasured. And vice versa.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Terranigma
Lufia 2
Bambi ain't got nothing on that shit
JRPG biggots are missing out

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom