Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with GOOD Endings

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Monkey Island 2 ending was the best ever ending in a point & click game.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Arcanum,fuck the gnomes!
hqdefault.jpg
I see you've been redpilled on the gnomish question.

Few games left me with such a feeling of satisfaction as Homeworlds ending and credits.
Ah, Homeworld, how great it felt to get to that ending. They don't make them like they used to, that's for sure.

Anyway, my favorites are Deus Ex (Helios ending) and PST. Very original, I know, but fuck it - those really are great endings. Everything from getting there to the final very short cutscenes just seems so fitting and final. The last conversation with Helios or that final nod in the PST outro... priceless.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
The Good ending here was by far & away the best........
Shepard can actually live if you have a high enough military score.
IIRC you could only archive that score originally by playing multiplayer. Fuck multiplayer :argh:
Didn't matter tho, for me the game ends after the Citadel DLC anyway. :obviously:

This thread made me remember I never finshed "Silent Storm Sentinels". I got it together with the first game, which I played at least 7 times to see every mission... that, and the decline into mech combat got me too burned out to continue with SSS. Sad.

Another good ending was Fallout 3, because you died. Ending this bullshit forever.
Or so I hoped. Boy was I wrong.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Another good ending was Fallout 3, because you died. Ending this bullshit forever.
Killing the MC is kinda gay and over dramatic.

I remember I never completed it. I went to the ending, and got face to face with the radiation problem meaning I had to die. I remembered I had, somewhere, a party member that was immune to radiation. I brought him back there and it told me that he wouldn't do it, because it was my destiny, or something. Fuck this game.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Killing the MC is kinda gay and over dramatic.

I remember I never completed it. I went to the ending, and got face to face with the radiation problem meaning I had to die. I remembered I had, somewhere, a party member that was immune to radiation. I brought him back there and it told me that he wouldn't do it, because it was my destiny, or something. Fuck this game.
They actually made it so you can sacrifice them instead if you buy a DLC, but yeah in the vanilla game it was bullshit.

laclongquan

Arcane
This thread made me remember I never finshed "Silent Storm Sentinels". I got it together with the first game, which I played at least 7 times to see every mission... that, and the decline into mech combat got me too burned out to continue with SSS. Sad..[/SPOILER]

The journey of playing an Engineer MC into the special mission to activate that super mech is more enjoyable than the result. That bloody mech is too powerful it trivialize my equipments and skills. Plus fighting the final battle against a trio of those mech become too easy since you got that mech to hold 1, and 6 men to hold the other two.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Funnily enough I think there was some rifle that was more effective at handling the Panzerkleins than anything the Panzerkleins themselves had.

Suicidal

Arcane
Something that wasn't mentioned yet:

I liked the ending of Suikoden 2 in which

you go back to the 1st zone of the game to the marked stone, where your childhood friend, who has become a general in a rival nation, promised to meet you if you ever got separated and duel him instead of sending your armies to kill eachother

I also liked Nier Automata's ending

the one where everyone dies and the robots send their memories into space. For some reason everyone insists that the best ending is where everyone survives but honestly, what's the point of living in a dead world where there's nothing to do and everything is extinct. Plus all the main characters were slowly going insane anyway

laclongquan

Arcane
Funnily enough I think there was some rifle that was more effective at handling the Panzerkleins than anything the Panzerkleins themselves had.

When you are wearing a Panzerklein, you are going to have a straightup slugfest with hostile mechs, and by god that's what the game give you: straight up, drawnout Pew Pew Bang Bang, level half the map, explosion fest.

If you want to be a boring powergamer then you can use PK's sniper gun to shoot at enemy's pilots. BORRRRRRRING~

Dat Base Defense mission! The best moments is after you mine half the map to delay one's half army, your team having an ambush with the vanguard, then slowly withdraw toward base (to draw them into deeper minefield)

Bliblablubb

Arcane
you can use PK's sniper gun to shoot at enemy's pilots.
Yeah, that was pretty much what removed the fun from my game's inventory after a short while. Game went from "carefully planned WW2 squad combat" to "lol godmode CHAAAAAARGE!!!!''. Kind of how XCOM became trivial when you had 2 flying snipers with two shots each oneshotting everything.

Then in SSS we went back to squad combat, but difficulty had somewhat increased, resulting in me just throwing grenades everywhere and losing interest.

To be fair, that was how I played SS too shortly before the Panzerkleins, but at least there it was still fun watching everything fly. :obviously:
Still remember some kind of factory I pretty much leveled with yuge amounts of 'nades without ever going downstairs. I never even met the reinforcment 'kleins that got a cutscene. They too were just dispatched by non discriminating 'nadestravaganza.

Aaah yes, I definitely "had a good war". :hahano:

laclongquan

Arcane
You dont have to use that gun in the same way that you dont have to use the PKs. A total infantry approach is enough to win the game after all.

Ditto with grenades/explosives. Although in this case, many mission will fail you with that approach.

Same deal with total stealth approach. You can play it that way if you want, but straight up assault fest can be very enjoyable so why the hell not?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I liked the cliffhanger in Penumbra: Overture and the ending of Black Plague. I can't remember whether Requiem's ending actually added to things.
Primordia had a good range of endings and a couple paths to them that I didn't even realize were possible. I still have to replay it and see how differently I handle it all these years.
New Prey had kind of abrupt cutscene "main endings," I guess you could call them, but I liked that you had to go to different parts of the station to achieve the different endings, though they weren't hard at that point. The different permutations that resulted, like finding Alex arguing with January and stuff, were cool. The sequel hook in the final scene was awesome imho.
Vessel has an awesome final puzzle that uses pretty much everything the game teaches you to turn on this weird science machine, and it's great to see it all come together the way it does.

baturinsky

Arcane
New Shadow Warrior. Mediocre game all around, but with a few highlights, ending being one of it.

In the beginning you are told a legend about a world where it was raining only when a certain goddess was weeping. It barely has anything to do with the game itself most of time. But in the ending you see that woman as her only friend dies. And she looks up at you with absolutely straight face.

And it starts raining.

It's very simple, but for some reason really hits home.

(And, of cause, sequel fucked it up by making her just a pretty banal villain...)

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Final Fantasy Tactics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom