Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with a stark, bizarre atmosphere

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The Legacy for dos, Veil of Darkness for dos too, both from 1993 I think.

Mindfighter too, little known game from the 80s for C64, aniga etc.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
War Wind. Second rate Warcraft 2 clone with strange alien atmosphere, which is just about the only thing i remember about the game.

lightbane

Arcane
The usual Mother 1-3 saga + its clones, if these haven't been mentioned already. Also, several French games do so as well (if not the majority of these).

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Oblivion. Just playing it for five minutes made me feel like I was in a bizarre nightmare world where nothing made sense.

Astral Rag

Arcane
X-COM_-_UFO_Defense_Coverart.png

Alone_in_the_Dark_boxart.jpg

The_Dark_Eye_Coverart.png

Bad_Day_on_the_Midway_Coverart.png

9_-_The_Last_Resort_Coverart.png

Hell-act.jpg

Shadow_of_the_Comet_cover.jpg

Prisoner_of_Ice_cover.jpg

Normality_Cover.jpg

Dark_Seed_Cover.jpg

Harvester_cover.jpg

Badmojo.jpg

Die_by_the_Sword.jpg

RealmsOfTheHaunting.jpg

Nightmare_creaturescover.jpg

Nocturnegamecover.jpg

Undyingcover.jpg

Darkness_Within_Boxart.jpg

Last edited:
Come to think of it, a lot of the LGS games played out the same way--Thief, System Shock, etc. I also throw down a second mention of Realms of the Haunting, and you should definitely try Soul Reaver & Shadow of the Colossus, if you have a game machine in your house.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

I was actually planning to mention this one in teh Lost & Forgotten thread. As far as the visuals and atmosphere go, think of side-scroller equivalent of Souls and KF games.

(also, curious that certain game from whence my nickname originated wasn't mentioned yet)

I recently bought this game on ebay after watching this video.
I felt I really have to own it and add it to my game collection.

Axe Father

Savant
Going to resuscitate this thread because I realised I forgot to mention Drowned God. It's a Myst-like adventure game from '96 that is engrossing, for lack of a better word. Its got a handful of interesting puzzles but the real draw is that it is all based in mysticism, UFO folklore, and theories of alien interference in human history. I'd say it's not a very good game overall, but the passage of time and the fact that you're most likely going to play this now-a-days by downloading it means it is easier to recommend as an "experience".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiwFvZ4j4-I
(Video owner doesn't allow embedding, sorry for the inconvenience.)

Also interesting is the mastermind behind the game, Richard Horne (pen name Harry Horse). A Political cartoonist, children's book author, and musician, he based the game on a forged manuscript he wrote and attributed to the poet Richard Henry Horne. In 2007 he killed his wife and then himself, but it was originally thought they committed suicide in a pact with one another. Pardon me for regurgitating information you can easily find on Wikipedia, but I found it intriguing enough to want to type it myself.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom