Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with a stark, bizarre atmosphere

Blowhard

Cipher
There's a sense of largely narrative-less atmosphere in several games I can think of that I would lump together as delivering a unique feeling that is fairly similar. I'll list them off to get things started, and I hope others can see a common thread in their general feel, but I'll give some thoughts as to why these games made me feel the way they did. It is the most highly sought after atmosphere, in my gaming experience, and is brought about mainly by feelings of silence, isolation, emptiness, alien worlds or vistas, and surrealism.

King's Field, Shadow Tower, et al
Pathologic
The Void
Mask of the Betrayer (Torment feels actually a bit more friendly, more "in your face," and less strange imo)
Diablo
Morrowind
Armored Core: Last Raven (very interesting game that puts you in a world which is functionally already dead. not only that, but watching other Ravens on the list show up as DEAD as the game goes on makes you realize that even if you do "win", what will be left?)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Demon's Souls
the supernatural levels of Thief: Gold
Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
Silent Hill
The Legacy of Kain
Tomb Raider
Dark Spire
Baroque

Anyone want to try their hands at adding to this list?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy
It's WH40k cheap ripoff, the only WH40k where you see something else than SPACE MARINES, and it's only FPP game in that setting I remember.
And if you read any book from WH40k where action take place in hivecity - you get the idea.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dark Souls
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Maybe inquisitor? Haven't played it.
Half-Life 1 and 2 a little.
The Witcher 1.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Digital Devil Saga (do like the bizarre, post-apoc feel the game has, and how even the characters seem to acknowledge how it makes nearly no sense)
Nier (I'm a sucker for ultra cynical post-apoc settings, where the world is irreparably fucked and all we're watching are the final candles to go out, and this game nails it along with a lot of punches straight to the feels)
Sluggish Moors: A Delicate Time in History (An hour long freeware game that's loaded with surreal imagery, an esoteric sci-fi setting, and a whole lot of shit that just makes your head hurt. Only an hour or so long, so I'd recommend it)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (JACK, TURN OFF YOUR GAME CONSOLE RIGHT NOW)
Bloodborne (probably the most out of the souls games, since dreaming and insanity is a recurring motif within the game)

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Forgot one as well:

Soma - (tickles my love for cynical post-apoc and kinda reminds me of your description of Last Raven). It's pretty much establish from the get-go that the human race is pretty much gone, and all you're really doing is trying to ensure that their last, pathetic attempt to ensure that our civilization isn't completely forgotten succeeds. Game is never particularly scary, but does maintain a consistent tone of melancholic dread, as you go through the logs of the last few humans alive in a base at the bottom of the ocean as they gradually succumb to despair and are killed off, with themes surrounding the nature of artificial intelligence and what truly makes man and machine different.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Severance: Blade of Darkness nails that moody magnificence, soundtrack an everything, an has that weird Zoroastrian background lore that gis it an original edge.

You put down Legacy o Kain, but i'd just like to add Blood Omen 2s Eternal Prison, right weird place an really spooky in sections, highlight o that game for me which were mostly shit.

Thief?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, Thief series (not sure about Thi4f cause it's shit game so no urge to try it an check) plus The Dark Mod (based on Doom3 engine no less).

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
Cosmology_of_Kyoto_cover.jpg

The Cosmology of Kyoto CD-ROM comes with a bare minimum of instructions, informing me in a few words how to move within the images. No goal is established and no points are scored; the game never informs me what the object is, although it discreetly tracks the levels of karma and cash I have attained and keeps an inventory of my possessions. The disc comes packaged with a large fold-out map showing the streets and principal buildings of Kyoto – circa 900, when, as Heiankyo, it was the capital of Japan. I begin to wander the streets.

The richness is almost overwhelming; there is the sense that the resources of this game are limitless and that no two players would have the same experience. I have been exploring the ancient city in spare moments for two weeks now, and doubt that I have even begun to scratch the surface. This is the most beguiling computer game I have encountered, a seamless blend of information, adventure, humor, and imagination – the gruesome side-by-side with the divine.

In this medieval Kyoto, people exist alongside ghosts, demons, and goblins. On my travels I have met – and interacted with – a dog eating entrails, long-winded old farts, tradespeople (who offered me medicines, dried fish, cloth, rice cakes, amulets, and a chance to lose money on a cock fight), a monk leading a prayer meeting, kids playing ball in the streets (one is beheaded by a passerby), a friendly guide dog, a maiden with an obscenely phallic tongue, and a gambler who taught me a dice game.

The graphics are hauntingly effective, using a wide-screen landscape format. The individual characters are drawn with vivid facial characteristics, a cross between the cartoons of medieval Japanese art and the exaggerations of modern Japanimation. The speaking voices are filled with personality, often taunting, teasing, or sexy. There is the sense, illusory but seductive, that one could wander this world indefinitely. This is a wonderful game.

pippin

Maybe inquisitor? Haven't played it.

From what I remember, Inquisitor has plenty supernatural elements, but it's still related to many historical elements. It's a more lowkey, eastern european version of Lionheart, in a way.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
Don't starve
maxresdefault.jpg
Abe's Oddysee
latest
Heart of Darkness
Heart_2.jpg
Diablo 1
1665995-butcher.jpg
MediEvil
37149-Medievil-7.jpg

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Another World - no description needed here XD
Bioforge - Alone in The Dark clone: dark sf, lost alien civilization, sick experiments, violence - this type of stuff.
Dark Earth - another AiTD clone: weird post apocaliptic world
The Swapper - atmospheric puzzle platformer
Axiom Verge - very cool and somewhat dark/weird retro "metroidvania"
Perihelion: The Prophecy - old Amiga RPG set in a strange, dark futuristic world
Armored Core For Answer - my favourite AC game it's dark and depressive atmosphere/story-wise
Earthsiege 1 and 2 - maybe not super fitting here but since we already have AC...It has a nice post apo war feel, reminiscent of Terminator 1 and 2 "future war" scenes.
Wipeout 2097 - yeah I know, future racer...but I find the game to be atmospheric and somewhat dark (also has a really cool soundtrack)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom