Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that you had a lot of fun with but are obscure?

TsongaKralj

Novice
Captain Claw, Requiem Avenging Angel, Rival Realms, Cybermercs, Revenant, Soulbringer.

And yeah I Urban Chaos as well, I still replay it about once a year to this day. Game has really nice atomsphere,music and apart from shooting system (which kinda sucks) solid gameplay. Scouring rooftopos to find powerups, sliding down cables and beating up wild cat thugs never got old for me.

Flanged

Scholar
I'm barely even a gamer and I've played about 70% of the stuff in this thread. It brings back sweet memories though.

Battleground: Prelude to Waterloo was good fun for it's time, even though i played it about 10 years after it's time had passed.

battleground-napoleonic-wars-20071109023747230_640w.jpg

spectre

Arcane
Refreshed my memory, new batch coming in.

Ignition - a fun little game when you want to unwind. Light-hearted, simple, arcade racer with cartoony graphics. Good stuff.
ignition_1.jpg

Jets'n'Guns - a pretty cool sideways shooter with lots of buyable stuff for your spaceship. Basically, Tyrians more obscure and harder brother.
Jets_n_Guns-screenshot.jpg

Great battles of Hannibal/Alexander series - nothing stellar, but p. cool historical strategy series at the time.
270221531.jpg

Esctatica (two parts) - Can't really say the game was obscure, cause IIRC it was quite a big thing when it came out (the graphics were the most prominent feature). I recall the controls were clunky, but imo you could see that the devs poured a lot of love into this game.
89467_large.jpeg

Speaking of ellipsoid graphics, I vaguely remember an old arcade shooter/dogfighting game. You had a ship (more of a hovercraft actually) with a few stats (speed, turrning, hp and damage iirc) and you woud shoot at other ships, making tight turns and generally circling around like a madman. Can't remember the name for the life of me, but I remember I played the demo to death. Oh yeah, the terrain looked "bubbly", most likely ellipsoids. Anybody remember what its name was?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
TRON 2.0 is awesome. Its one and only flaw is that it has no ending. There's a final boss fight tacked on from who knows where and then it just ends. I'd also argue it's the last great Monolith game before they started down the path of decline. Neat upgrade system, fantastic level design, good challenge, light cycle races are a lot of fun... it's all good.

Flanged

Scholar
spectre said:
Esctatica (two parts) - Can't really say the game was obscure, cause IIRC it was quite a big thing when it came out (the graphics were the most prominent feature). I recall the controls were clunky, but imo you could see that the devs poured a lot of love into this game.

Ah, Ecstatica! Bought it from a car-boot sale, not knowing what to expect. It was tough. Controls were definitely hard to grasp, and switching camera angles between areas made it extra confusing and difficult to navigate around the village, especially if you were desperately trying to run from the werewolf (in the first one). The amount of times that bastard thrashed me and hung me from the wall in that house was ridiculous. The first time you're able to stop running and stand firm to beat him in a fight is a great gaming moment - the thrill of revenge on this thing that's tormented you all through the game, and the victory is purely down to your own increased player skill and determination, not some cutscene or magical object that suddenly makes him weak.

Haven't played the second one though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom