Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that would benefit from modern remake

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Exile :M

laclongquan

Arcane
I'd like to see a remake of Darklands, with unique cities and a more robust quest system.
And how about the X-Com remake? It seems to have been well received. Haven't played it myself yet.
Just a prettier Darklands is enough. I was turned off during my last try with it.
Ditto with X-Com. I havent played the original.

Die By the Sword remake with moder graphics and improved controls.

Rune remake that would be 100% combat focused with no 3d platforming bullshit.

Last edited:

Rpgsaurus Rex

Fallout 1/2.

The interface is totally fucked (you can have hundreds of items, but the inventory only shows like 5 at a time and just scrolls up/down) and combat moves too slow, even with speed at max. Also better moding

It's a good game under it, but damn does has the shell it's in aged badly.

Try this for FO2 http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Sfall
This for FO1 http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthread.php?194562-Fallout-Fixt-alpha-6-7-3-June-2nd-2014

Edit the ddraw.ini files to make them run as fast as you want (I prefer 1.5x). They also let you use the middle mouse button to scroll your inventory.

All in all, having replayed FO2 a week ago and about to replay FO1 (to wash away the sick aftertaste of WL2...), I can say they aged pretty well.

-

On topic, the Tactics Ogre PSP remake was such a disappointment. Great interface improvements, incredible graphics and a remastered OST... yet zero improvements to the AI and an absolutely horrible change to the way class leveling works forcing you to GRIND a new class while also cutting the training mode that let you do so painlessly.

A game that could really use a proper remake IMO is Wizardry 7: rebalance the whole magic system and turn class change into something that doesn't just let you turn your party into munchkins at no cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comte

Ultima IX as a isometric turn based rpg with the original Bob White plot. Since EA owns the rights this is never going to happen.

pippin

Wouldn't mind some sort of remake and/or spiritual successor of the Commandos games

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Quarantine:

* New 3d engine
* Destructible cars (something like Destruction Derby / Flatout mix ) and environments (Red Faction : Guerilla style)
* Big city, sandbox style gameplay
* More variety in "quests" department, cab passengers look, other vehicles, weapons
* Diffrent cabs that you can buy
* Violence without any censorship
* acid and funny comic cutscenes
* Heavy metal/rock soundtrack
* 1st person and 3rd person camera
* You can walk on foot, or escape from burning vehicle, but you will be very fragile
* Customization of player's character / clothes / weapons / tatoos
* Profit !

images

:Flash:

Arcane
The Last Express.
Just take the original game, the original footage, and rotoscope all the missing frames.
The original had some smooth animations (e.g. walking conductor), so the 1 fps animations were not an artistic decision, but a technological/monetary constraint.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen using TW: Rome 2 engine.
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen, using Stasis engine (we really should kidnap Pyke)
Battle Bugs using Starcraft 2 engine with gameplay improvments.
Dark Colony.
Little big Adventure games.
Gold Box series, Blackguards like graphics is enough, hell I even settle for NWN2.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
This is such a bizarre concept. When you say remake, do you actually mean a like-for-like remake or do you mean someone's imagining of an update?

People have fantasised about a remake of Civ 1 ever since the sequels started coming out, wouldn't it be great to play the original game in today's graphics, but, then, that's what each new iteration of Civ is, the original game with new graphics... and umpteen changes here and there which now make the original game so far from the current game that they might as well be different game franchises.

So if we're talking about direct, exact, 100% copies of old games in new graphics, then something like Civ would be awesome. If we're talking about new anything else, then that's what already happens...

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I would endorse a remastering (updated faithful HD graphics, new sound and voice editing and acting, faithfully and tastefully done) of:

- Bioforge !

- Crusader No Remorse

- Little Big adventure

- Wings

- Dune II

- Resident Evil 2 + 3

- Magic Carpet 1 + 2

- Theme Park / Theme Hospital

- Sabre Team

- Die By The Sword

- Death Rally

- Interstate '76

- Full Throttle

- Legacy of Kain

Last edited by a moderator:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I would endorse a remastering (updated faithful HD graphics, new sound and voice editing and acting, faithfully and tastefully done) of:
- Bioforge !
I would love to see a remake of that game, the things that would need to be updated first and foremost are the controls and the clunky combat. I miss the "action-adventure" genre. Esctatica could also use a proper remake.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom