Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games/RPGs with Irish(or similar) setting/atmosphere

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The Elven area of King's Bounty: The Legend has a very celtic theme to it:

(a shame the footage doesn't show that area, but then most Youtubers are quite the tards)

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Fowyr said:
The original Nethergate is better, Resurrection butchered mechanics a lot, some encounters now don't even have a sense. And added dungeon is craptastic. It's fucking rollercoaster (Romans to the left, Celts to the right! Five rooms onwards and your prize awaits you!)
Fowyr said:
Ressurection was avernumification of Nethergate. Game lost food, need to id, blessing pools, gain shitton of trainers, two dungeons - one is very dumb, lost magical lockpicks (maybe ALL lockpicks), bunch of skills, woad is useless etc.
Food was very important in some encounters and last area of the game.
Good luck in finding full version of Nethergate, though.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Tir Na Nog
Dun Darach

Despite primitive 8 bit graphics they are dripping with Irish/celtic atmosphere, and you get to play the great hero Cuchulainn.

A horse of course

Myth: The Fallen Lords and Myth II: Soulblighter. Myth III: The Wolf Age also focuses heavily on celtic/gael mythology but from a different angle to the Bungie games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodforge can probably be picked up in a bargain bin somewhere, it might be digital-only though.

And of course Thief is an accurate simulation of the average paddy's life minus the swearing, vomiting, and blaming everything on their betters.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I could never play Myth III when it first came out, it wouldn't run on my PC for some unknown reason, I'm looking forward to playing that one still from GOG or wherever :)

A horse of course

I could never play Myth III when it first came out, it wouldn't run on my PC for some unknown reason, I'm looking forward to playing that one still from GOG or wherever :)

The initial release - particularly the UK or EU one, was utterly trashed. You had to downgrade and reinstall and shit to patch it properly. The current version works ok afaik, though the map and modding tools are garbage last I checked. I don't think it's on GoG or DD sites but you can get it cheap elsewhere.

marshal99

Barely Literate
The ps3 RPG game "Folklore" is set in ireland.

The hidden object game "Nancy Drew: The Haunting of Castle Malloy" is set in ireland.

The adventure game "Cameron Files : Secret at Loch Ness" - well , the title says it all , in loch ness , scotland.

mondblut

Arcane
Celtic Tales was developed by Koei?? :what:
Apparently they had an American subsidiary in California. Did they ever port it to FM Towns or some other similar platform?

Art style is kinda telling, no? Their trademark 16 colors in high res, too.

I've heard lead designer went on to make diablow 2, what a waste of talent. Curiously, the game itself, nor manual, doesn't seem to feature credits anywhere.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

A horse of course

There's a Balor mod for Rome: Total War, by the by.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Most RPG's have a bar that sells booze and includes fighting at some point. Maybe you only think of your mother while at the local druid/cleric hut and bleeding out?

Humanophage

Arcane
Bard's Tale (2004) has a Scottish theme. It's rather average as far as gameplay is concerned, and its humour is similar to Divinity series, but it is much more Celtic-flavoured than the average fantasy RPG. Barrows, cairns, giants, taverns, songs, etc. It's set in a fictional version of the Orkney Islands, I think.

Angthoron

Arcane
Bard's Tale (2004) has a Scottish theme. It's rather average as far as gameplay is concerned, and its humour is similar to Divinity series
No it ain't. The only parts where it resembles it is the "lolrandom" moments of Divinity games.

As for the topic - any game that has dwarves.

Flanged

Scholar
The first two levels of Chameleon (A PC game released in 2005, but hard to come by now) are set in Belfast during The Troubles. I doubt this game would scratch your Broken Sword of Oirishness itch, but it's still really nice to see some flavourful urban decay and social disintegration in a game that isn't bedded in US or Eastern European culture.

They done a great job of evoking the times and the atmosphere, albeit in an exaggerated videogame way.

It's a third-person stealth shooter with some semi-believable espionage mechanics - sort of like an Alpha Protocol for grown ups.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
The first two levels of Chameleon (A PC game released in 2005, but hard to come by now) are set in Belfast during The Troubles. I doubt this game would scratch your Broken Sword of Oirishness itch, but it's still really nice to see some flavourful urban decay and social disintegration in a game that isn't bedded in US or Eastern European culture.

They done a great job of evoking the times and the atmosphere, albeit in an exaggerated videogame way.

It's a third-person stealth shooter with some semi-believable espionage mechanics - sort of like an Alpha Protocol for grown ups.

this sounds interesting (I am from Glasgow) thank u for drawing it to my attention

that reminds me there is a Mount and Blade mod that is about Glasgow football fans stabbing each other with broken bottles, dunno if it got finished though

Flanged

Scholar
that reminds me there is a Mount and Blade mod that is about Glasgow football fans stabbing each other with broken bottles

I know mate. It was me. : )

Haven't been posting around here for ages, but that was me, back in the good old days.

I'm still ocassionally tempted to update and expand it, but life's too short. Wonder what new mechanics Bannerlord might present though.

Flanged

Scholar
Publish and be damned. No sane man would believe such a slur.

lol

Flanged

Scholar
Btw, there is some decent Youtube playthroughs of the Chameleon levels that are set in Belfast , but I couldn't post them up directly as I am no longer granted such (cishet) privilleges by the Codex. It's good stuff though. I seem to recall that the same people who made Mafia: City of Lost Heaven were involved in the making of Chameleon, and it is apparent in the game. An abundance of atmosphere, and good gameplay too. It's rare to see the two combined.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom