Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima Games like U1-5?

Like the topic says. Is there a list or something someplace? Even the Ultima Dragons Facebook couldn't really help.

I mean I know of a few (Deathsword, those Softdisk Carmack made games, Wrath of Denethenor, arguably the Questron/Legacy of the Ancients/Blacksilver Dougherty games, Gates of Delirium on the Tandy CoCos) but is there some kind of definitive list and such?

If not do we need to make one? It might be heresy but to me Ultima 1 and 5 especially are like all I want out of my old school RPG. Enough mechanics to be satisfying but not so many as to go Full RPG Autism. Proper top down exploration with maybe sometimes 3d dungeons.

Like yeah there are some JRPGs that kind of get close ish (most of the Dragon Quest and offline Phantasy Stars) but the itch just doesn't get scratched right. And most Ultimalikes people talk about are trying to ape 6 and 7 which I don't entirely like. (Though yeah Nuvie and Exult mods are working on them. Dudes even trying to put turn based combat into 7 no less!)

So anyone got some help here?

Mustawd

Vogel's Avernum games seem to be inspired by some of the Ultima games.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
geneforge games are better then the ultima games

avernums similar too but i dont like them as much

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Big maps, a lot of exploration, turn based combat?
As it was already said, Magic Candle, Exiles.
Aethra Chronicles.
A lot of old shareware RPGs like WarWizard and Yendorian Tales 1 (not 2 and 3).

T. Reich

Arcane
You may want to check the RPGAddict's blog, he's got a lot of games from that era played through with commentary (text+images) and personal ratings, including a good deal of Ultima clones.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Like the topic says. Is there a list or something someplace? Even the Ultima Dragons Facebook couldn't really help.

I mean I know of a few (Deathsword, those Softdisk Carmack made games, Wrath of Denethenor, arguably the Questron/Legacy of the Ancients/Blacksilver Dougherty games, Gates of Delirium on the Tandy CoCos) but is there some kind of definitive list and such?

If not do we need to make one? It might be heresy but to me Ultima 1 and 5 especially are like all I want out of my old school RPG. Enough mechanics to be satisfying but not so many as to go Full RPG Autism. Proper top down exploration with maybe sometimes 3d dungeons.

Like yeah there are some JRPGs that kind of get close ish (most of the Dragon Quest and offline Phantasy Stars) but the itch just doesn't get scratched right. And most Ultimalikes people talk about are trying to ape 6 and 7 which I don't entirely like. (Though yeah Nuvie and Exult mods are working on them. Dudes even trying to put turn based combat into 7 no less!)

So anyone got some help here?

Good question.

Alchemist

Arcane
A unified list of "early Ultima-inspired" games would be great indeed.

Definitely play Magic Candle - it's a fascinating game and will have you filling pages of notebooks with info.

I think Tom Proudfoot's Nahlakh and Natuk have early Ultima influences, though I have not played them:

Nahlakh
TEZCvtE.jpg

Natuk
FFcbFSn.png

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Nahlakh is inspired by Ultima and Wizard's Crown, but it's 99% Wizard's Crown and 1% Ultima.
Combatfags will love it, but not the average Ultima fan.

Last edited:
http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/any-games-like-ultima-5.97142/

Excelsior - Phase One: Lysandia

It is kind of funny how Excelsior Phase One is so close to the style of Ultima V, but was released after Ultima VI, and Excelsior Phase Two mimics Ultima VI, but was released five years after Ultima VIII. It's like you can track how long the creators took to make it

Im not a big fan of this one. Its honestly more like a top down Elder Scrolls. With the level scaling n shit. Like you don't actually want to level up at all because the game will fuck you right in your eye sockets. Like Wiz 8 Arnika Road isn't this mean. (Even if the level scaling in Wiz 8 should still be Brenda B.'s second biggest regret after marrying Romero.)

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Yes, for newer games, there are some really good rpgmaker ones. I suggest Last Dream. Very good crpg in the vein of the early ultimas, as well as the NES Final Fantasy and Dragon Quests. Full party creation, easy, but good chardev system, the full shebang. I honestly like this game a lot more than most non-rpgmaker crpgs.

Another one I like a lot but doesn't have full chargen is Deadly Sin 2. It has a really good chardev system and all the other crpg elements that are standard besides no chargen.

Lastly, there is Antharion. Very simple chargen and chardev, good gameplay in the same vein as the early ultimas. Good game, highly recommended for all crpg fans.

And then, as other people posted, you have the Avernum games. I like the two newer ones and 5 and 6 of the older ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom