Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games like 'Mount & Blade' and 'Pirates!' ?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Playing Warband now with Prophecy of Pendor (so good) and no doubt this'll get me through the holidays, but was wondering if anyone can name any similar games? At the very least I guess it'd have to be open-ended gameplay where you can lead a group of your own - in that sense, even games like X3 could apply.

Quests, personal character skills/development as well as conquering and managing areas would be a big plus.

Tycn

Savant
Doesn't really answer your question, but if you liked PoP you should check out the Floris Mod Pack. It's essentially a heavily modded vanilla that adds a lot of stuff with the overall effect of making the game feel like a slower paced, smaller scale Medieval II. In a mostly good way.

Although Pendor is obviously more polished, I personally enjoyed the Sword of Damocles mod more. Pendor was more of a generic fantasy RPG coating on the base M&B, whereas Damocles went the complex resource/settlement management direction. Even with the lack of balance and far more bugs it kept me interested longer.

As for other games, nope. Can't really name any.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Personally I like the Custom Settlements mod for M&B. In the beginning, there's only small camps, but with the time they'll grow and you can have your own town and grow it to a city by attracting immigrants. It's a long time since I've played it but I think there's resources and trading too, so you also need certain resources (not only gold but also wood) to upgrade your city to the next level.

It's probably the most interesting of all the M&B mods since it adds so much more to the game simply by making cities and countries much less static and more dynamic.

I tried playing it Jarl but it seemed completely unfinished. Towns with no names, a whole bunch of crap going on that seemed to mean nothing. I just assumed they were still working on it and left it alone. I might give it another go if it really does work if you give it time.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last time I played the mod it was very unfinished, yet, but it's still the mod with the most potential I think. I dunno how far they've progressed since the last version I played (about a year ago), or if they've progressed since then at all.

Suchy

Arcane
Games like 'Mount & Blade' - None
Games like 'Pirates' - Seadogs and Seadogs 2 (also known as Pirates of Carribean, not related to the crap movie based game).
The sequel's imo better. It's an actual RPG with party members following you, lots of side quests and more varied locations. Seadogs is closer to classic Pirates though, more of a strategy than RPG.
trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjm3aGjHOp0
LP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTdUgYHczYg

deuxhero

Arcane
If you have the original M&B, get 1866. It makes some interesting major changes (it makes the game into an FPS that is actually half decent).

MapMan

Arcane
This thread reminded me. Imagine eve online but with pirates instead. Cruising through oceans, discovering islands and shit. Buying and constructing them ships, buying slaves and hiring other players to your crew(you cant steer a whole fucking ship alone). How awesome would that be?!

MapMan said:
This thread reminded me. Imagine eve online but with pirates instead. Cruising through oceans, discovering islands and shit. Buying and constructing them ships, buying slaves and hiring other players to your crew(you cant steer a whole fucking ship alone). How awesome would that be?!

There's an MMO that's pretty similar to that... Pirates of the Burning Sea, I think. It was pretty cool, but it was too hardcore for the masses so it's probably wallowing as FtP now.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
deuxhero said:
If you have the original M&B, get 1866. It makes some interesting major changes (it makes the game into an FPS that is actually half decent).

I do, but I doubt I'll get back to it now; it kept crashing on bigger battles/sieges for some inexplicable reason (even without adjusting battle size with battlesizer) - Warband fortunately doesn't seem to have the same problem.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
It takes place in a space opera setting (obviously), but Space Rangers 2 is what you're looking for. There even was a (good) LP on these boards if I'm not mistaken.

Suchy said:
Games like 'Pirates' - Seadogs and Seadogs 2 (also known as Pirates of Carribean, not related to the crap movie based game).
The sequel's imo better. It's an actual RPG with party members following you, lots of side quests and more varied locations. Seadogs is closer to classic Pirates though, more of a strategy than RPG.
where can i find (cough cough) seadogs 2?

Morkar Left

Suchy said:

There were a lot of games all from the same developer I think. I was always curiuos about the games but they are known as bugridden.

Can you recommend some mods?

And do you know Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships? It seems to be the latest game.

@topic

Escape Velocity Nova comes close. You can hire other ships too. Maybe Ascii Sector but it's only you and your ship, no fleets.

Ghoulem

Erudite
Imagine the freedom of Minecraft, combined with the free roaming world of Morrowind, the combat of mount and blade, high fantasy RPG and the story richness of Deus Ex with the immersion of Thief.

CRY.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Pirates of the Caribbean itself is quite shitty, but it has a massive and well made mod called Build Mod (aka New Horizons), that greatly expands the game and adds a fuckload of new features, storylines etc. The problem is, this mod is very buggy and mostly unfinished, so if you're afraid of such things, steer clear.
If you're interested however, you can get this mod from:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons
the mod also has quite an active forum at:
http://forum.piratesahoy.net/forum/37-potc-build-mod/

Morkar Left

Thanks for the reply. Meanwhile I already found the forum myself and downloaded City of abandon ships. PotC is on the way. In the forum is mentioned that PotC is the more complex (aka better) game with the mod installed. I just started to play CoAS vanilla. After messing around a bit with it I will try it with mods. Between Christmas and New Year I can hopefully test PotC and compare both. CoAS seems pretty cool so far, but I haven't a ship yet and the manual is 72 pages long. The adventure part seems a bit rough and clunky sometimes, but you get used to it and it is playable. The RPG/Adventure part is what I wished M&B Warband would have.

Will give further impressions later...

Morkar Left

Just necromancing the thread to give my impressions for Pirates of the Caribbean (PotV) and Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships (CoaS).

Basically there are 4 alternatives for one to play the games:

PotC vanilla: D'ont, it's to lightweight and obsolete compared to the other options available

PotC with the Build Mod New Horizons http://forum.piratesahoy.net/topic/15382-build-14-beta-1/ :
Basically it brings PotC at the level of CoaS with more available ships, various char storylines and a direct sail feature to sail in 3D mode instead of using the map in Pirates!-style. Plus you can toggle all features to your liking in a ingamemenu.

The different char-stories seem really well done and entertaining. If you don't encounter gamebreaking bugs... I tried the original but modified Nathaniel gamestory (called New Horizons here) and was stuck at the beginning on the shipsdeck, not able to enter the city or sail away. I tried it several times with a new start, it never worked.
I was stuck in the Jack Sparrow quest too because story-npcs didn't spawn. I don't know how often this can happen but it seems more like an engine fault and not something modders can fix.
Some features are confirmed buggy like take over cities.

CoaS vanilla:
An overall improvement of PotC with a larger and more realistic map to explore and more quests to do. No real mainquest, instead you get several questlines for the various factions. Portugese are missing as a faction unlike PotC. The cities aren't looking as good as in PotC. The overall graphics are improved but no big changes. The charsystem is more complex now and swordfighting is improved. You can capture cities and keep them now for yourself.

CoaS with Combined Mod Pack (aka Gentlemen of Fortune soon)
http://forum.piratesahoy.net/topic/16817-combined-mod-v32-faqbugsinstalling/ :
Brings in more chars as player-options and further useful additions like more ships and additional better music. Bugfixes are included,too.

Has the potential to become as good as PotC New Horizons but isn't on the same level yet. Some npcs could annoy you like Davy Jones who is sitting in a tavern but you can easily delete him in the gamefiles yourself. You can even easily develop your own chars. Source code is available to the community by request and providing some input in modding beforehand, look at the piratesahoy forums (links see above).

In conclusion both games are fun but it takes some time till you get used to the interface and what stats do and what influences what. On a sidenote the map in Pirates! is better and more realistic than in those games.
If you are looking for some freeroaming M&B-style game, both games are definitely what you are looking for. The rpg-part is better than M&B, the swordfighting of course worse but ok, ship battles are fun and there is lots and lots to do.
For starters I would recommend CoaS vanilla and later install the Combined Mod Pack. But if you are looking for a PotC-movie themed adventure get PotC with the New Horizons.

Here are some tips to get you get you started with CoaS:

- Sea battles: tactical battles are very very slow, I recommend using Dynamic battles. Trust me on this. I usually prefer realistic simulations but it’s just to slow, cumbersome and timeconsuming. It gets later better with more skills and crew but especially for beginners choose dynamic battles.

- For the number of enemy encounters I recommend low, even then your map will be filled with AI ships sometimes.

- Authority affects how many officers you can hire (I think till 18 is possible?) If you want to leave a lot of ships in the ports, have it high. That way you don't run out of officers.

- The difficulty level of Captain should be somewhere in the middle, but if it's your first game, try easier - in the start it's still challenging, especially boarding sequences.

- Don't start with Captain Blood, choose one of the other two chars to able to sail and explore the gamemechanics early

- 1 unit of gunpowder is equal to 1 shot with 1 cannon

- medicine reduces your losses in combat, planks and sailcloth are used to repair your ship on sea

- you can accelerate time by pressing R or the +/- keys on your numberblock.

- You can see the names of the towns as well as islands on the world map - just press tab and you can scroll around the map by moving the mouse

But if you decide to start with Captain Blood here are some tips, too:

from FAQ:

Q: Where can I find a key for a chest which is on a balcony?
A: It’s on a coffee table (ground floor).

Q: I killed all Spanish in a city. Nobody is in the city now. What’s next?
A: You should go to the shipyard and talk with the officers there. They ran away as you did, and now they’d like to join you.

Q: I can’t come in the shipyard! It’s locked!
A: Look for another way. Through the sea.

Q: I have run away from the island taking the Spanish ship. What to do now?
A: Now you are absolutely free in your actions/wishes. There are many interesting quests.

from the piratesahoy forum:

- The cannons really load very slowly after firing them once. The calibre of cannon is high and your crew is just the minimal size and very poorly skilled and your own skills are very low as well.
- You will notice your officers and crew demand ridiculous salaries. This is because the ship is too large for your navigator to handle (class 2 requires at least 80 navigation skill, Pitt has 50), which imposes penalties on your stats, which impact your skills, which in turn determine the prices you pay for stuff, as well as the effectiveness of pretty much everything else you do.
- For the same reason, you won't be able to sell the frigate for a decent price or indeed do much of anything else while you're in command of it. You can work around this by buying a tartane as a second ship (~1k), then switching to it. Commanding a large ship gives you stat penalties, having it follow you around does not (it gives them to its skipper, but who cares). That you should do no matter what you decide to do next.
- The frigate is unique in the game, having better stats and a distinct appearance. If you sell it or lose it, it's gone forever. I would therefore recommend putting it in storage, which you can do at the port controller for about 20-40k. Note that you will need to leave an officer in charge of it; I would recommend hiring some bum for the task and keeping Pitt and Ogle around.
- Once you get rid of the stat penalties, you can sell the frigate, should you choose to do so, for about 70k. Don't forget to remove the guns and sell them separately first, since they are not counted in the ship's price - a ship with guns sells for exactly as much as a ship without, so selling them separately earns you more money. That you should also do regardless of whether you decide to keep the ship or not. The money you get for the guns will come in handy early on, while by the time you come back for the ship you will have more than enough to buy new ones.
- If you have a bounty on your head or a hostile relation to a nation, you can go to any pirate settlement and find a diplomat in the pub there. He will clear up those little misunderstandings for you, for a price, as well as provide you with trading licences and privateer patents.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom