Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Gameplay Guide] Rance X: Decisive Battle

Rance4ever!

Literate
You need to 1-turn Zeth to prevent lots of characters die.
If you win versus hard version of first demon you have an option to continue mission and fight second.

I didn't know people in Zeth died early too. Magic and everyone else seems fine. The only time I see characters die is in end of Turn 5 when Kaybliss rescues Carmilla and he slaughters a bunch. After that I tried to fight Medusa but I keep ending up with Galtia instead did they lock out the Medusa path after Kaybliss gets Carmilla?

Last questions:

I figured out the major handicap to this game. Even if you start New Game+ with tons of CP that really doesn't matter without getting specific heroes with their skills which is still a random crapshoot.

Is there anyway in Turns 1-2 to increase your chances to get Sachiko or Rance Lv45? Or is there another character who has the same remove enemy buff? Magic's skill doesn't work on demons. Its either get Sachiko or get Rance Lv45 to fight La Hawzel/Seizal. Also is it possible to get Rance Lv45 to fight Lei instead of La Hawzel in Turn 1-2?

To rescue Hornet without her dying it seems like you need to finish all the battles (in the demon castle only) TOTAL in less than 6 rounds right? Then the characters that can escape or assassinate in 1-2AP are mandatory. There is the masked Crane with a 2AP assassinate, the Old Man Dostov? with 2AP (haven't tested him yet), the Ugly Lion Mind girl with 2AP escape, the hot ninja girl in the Lei Campaign who Rance captures with 2AP skill. (Or would a faster and more effective way would be to use Biscutta who seems to turn set battles into random fights? But the random fight still wastes 2-3 turns on average...)
Is there anyone else with this ability to end a battle with 1-2AP or just avoid all non-boss battles completely?

Also in Turn 2+ in the Operations Phase when getting ready to fight demon lords in any region there suddenly appears a second choice. I know the top choice is fighting the demon lord since it has the Kanji words in it but what is the bottom choice? Do you fight some generic monster commander instead? I never had time to check it out.

For some good news I also found out there are some generic archer girls in the Other Faction set who seem to have the same +3 treasure boost skill that Purupet has.

Reinhardt

Arcane
After that I tried to fight Medusa but I keep ending up with Galtia instead did they lock out the Medusa path after Kaybliss gets Carmilla?
Galtia is always first. You need to win Galtia eating challenge to fight Medusa in the same mission. Or at least his first fight, i think. If not - you will proceed with his mission until the end and must do Medusa separately. And her mission is not very bright and cheerful.
Or is there another character who has the same remove enemy buff?
Magic.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Also is it possible to get Rance Lv45 to fight Lei instead of La Hawzel in Turn 1-2?
You don't need to clear Leazas early. Especially if it's your first run. 1. Leazas is the strongest country and can fight pretty well. 2. You don't lose any characters if you do it later.

Leasas and Free Cities are countries you want to do both elimination missions for maximum gain. Helman and Zeth on the other hand you must 1-turn to not lose characters.

Just play game normally and collect cp.
If you aim for any A ending AND don't want to lose any characters there is pretty strict mission order. Other than that you are more or less free to do what you want.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Other characters with a Dispel ability besides Sachiko-

Non-attack Dispels (which you use for Dark Lords that fly like La Hawzel first fight)-
- Megawas, one of the other Horus you start with in the Horus ship
- Miracle Tou (you will always recruit her when you do Free Cities). Miracle's Dispel will target Magic buffs and will even clear locked Magic buffs
- Crane has a 2 AP dispel that removes 4 buffs
- Orure also has 2 AP dispel that removes 4 buffs

Numerous characters have attack-based dispels including-
- Arlcoate
- Magic
- Sakura Kalar has the same ability as Magic
- Reset Kalar has a 2 AP attack that dispels 1 buff and cures 1 debuff
- Uruza has a 2AP attack that dispels 2 buffs
- Poron Chao has a 3 AP attack that targets Armor buffs (even locked)
- Kibako has the same dispel as Poron
- Kasumi K. Kasumi has a dispel that targets Fortification buffs (even locked)
- Noah has a dispel that targets Storm buffs (even locked)

Assassination does not work on the final 3 battles when rescuing Hornet, as they are considered boss battles.

Last edited:

Rance4ever!

Literate
Thanks thats useful.

Jason have you beaten the Demon King Kayblis? I wanted to see if I could beat him. In my new game he has 40 million HP and I used 14 CPs and 8 medal points. I grinded up a good amount of allies (No Atago McCart unfortunately)

There seems to be an alternate demon king route if you beat him. I want to get the CG for that and see the cutscenes. But its almost impossible to beat this monster. He wipes me out in 2-3 hits. I last a couple of turns with 3 ninjas and Crook but I run out of AP. Whats the best possible strategy to beat him?

Jason Liang

Arcane
Yes I have.

The easiest way to beat him is to fight him on turn 6 at 1 or 2 difficulty. Play through the first six turns but quit the missions before you step on the difficulty up. On turn 6 you can also do Miracle's Dimension side quest for even more level up. I was able to beat him at 2 difficulty (you can lower that to 1 difficulty if you can complete the Ranger sidequest). Another trick is to save FC for turn 5, and if you haven't completed the Ranger sidequest yet, try beating Lei with Rance solo to get the 4 chests to see if they drop the character you need (I got Freya to complete the sidequest by doing this). You go up to 3 difficulty but completing the side quest brings you back down to 2 difficulty.

Anyway, I hadn't gotten the All Nations Fall ending, so I ended up doing both together. Also you can actually recruit Galtia from eating contest before the difficulty up (I think he's the only Dark Lord that allows this) so I ended up recruiting Galtia and getting both endings on that short run. Since you aren't increasing the difficulty, this is by far the easiest way to beat the eating contest. This is also a good way to collect all the bad-end princesses.

Last edited:

Rance4ever!

Literate
Yes I have.

The easiest way to beat him is to fight him on turn 6 at 1 or 2 difficulty. Play through the first six turns but quit the missions before you step on the difficulty up. On turn 6 you can also do Miracle's Dimension side quest for even more level up. I was able to beat him at 2 difficulty (you can lower that to 1 difficulty if you can complete the Ranger sidequest). Another trick is to save FC for turn 5, and if you haven't completed the Ranger sidequest yet, try beating Lei with Rance solo to get the 4 chests to see if they drop the character you need (I got Freya to complete the sidequest by doing this). You go up to 3 difficulty but completing the side quest brings you back down to 2 difficulty.

Anyway, I hadn't gotten the All Nations Fall ending, so I ended up doing both together. Also you can actually recruit Galtia from eating contest before the difficulty up (I think he's the only Dark Lord that allows this) so I ended up recruiting Galtia and getting both endings on that short run. Since you aren't increasing the difficulty, this is by far the easiest way to beat the eating contest. This is also a good way to collect all the bad-end princesses.

I didn't even know there was a difficulty slider. Is it written on the game screen somewhere? And whats FC?
How do you quit a mission? Do you mean the missions in the base screen and not the battle missions? I know its the Ranger mission in the Base Phase (拠点フェイズ), ok so that lowers difficulty and its repeatable right?

From what you said is this right?
1. Battle Phase: do not defend or attack any regions only do the Rance Level Up Quest correct? How do you quit that before you end it?
2. Base Phase (拠点フェイズ) Just repeat the Ranger quest to reduce difficulty
3. Base Phase (拠点フェイズ) Do Miracle Side quest when it pops up.
4. Turn 7 Demon King Kaybliss battle

Let me know if this is wrong. How would you get all the characters and medals you need for the fight this way? Am I missing anything?

As for Galtia I attacked him first on Turn 1 on the easy difficulty with 14 CP bonuses and I still failed the eating contest. I had no good allies at that point, only Gandhi and a few others but no Kenshin and my attack was too low to eat all the food on time.
I also couldn't do double suppression on Babolat or Lei, my attacks kept doing too little damage and they had too high HP. I want to know how to lower that difficulty so I can unlock the achievement.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I didn't even know there was a difficulty slider.
Purple points on the map after you win majin battle. If you step on one - difficulty go up by 1. It's showing in upper left corner when you in mission. So to avoid it you beat majin but open menu and abandon mission before stepping further. You get cards and exp from mission but not difficulty up.

Battle Phase: do not defend or attack any regions only do the Rance Level Up Quest correct? How do you quit that before you end it?
No, you collect and train your cards. Just leave missions before upping difficulty. This run is not for 1-turning also. You want maximum gains from mission.

Rance4ever!

Literate
Purple points on the map after you win majin battle. If you step on one - difficulty go up by 1. It's showing in upper left corner when you in mission. So to avoid it you beat majin but open menu and abandon mission before stepping further. You get cards and exp from mission but not difficulty up.

No, you collect and train your cards. Just leave missions before upping difficulty. This run is not for 1-turning also. You want maximum gains from mission.

How do you do that?? I did not see any difficulty purple spot to step on. All that happens in a mission is I beat the boss and move to the Castle/Flag/etc to finish the quest. How exactly do you cancel a mission before you make the last move? Is this this game's version of farming without moving any turns?

Reinhardt

Arcane

How do you do that?? I did not see any difficulty purple spot to step on. All that happens in a mission is I beat the boss and move to the Castle/Flag/etc to finish the quest. How exactly do you cancel a mission before you make the last move? Is this this game's version of farming without moving any turns?
1zmcmqt.jpg

w9uofk.jpg

Jason Liang

Arcane

Sort of, except it prevents you from getting any of the "good" endings since the game is on a turn limit.

- In Prep phase, just do any of the Defense missions (I recommend Zeth) and quit right before you pick up the Veterans (if you want to get all-nations fall as well)
- In Operations phase, just do the four main campaigns once each, picking up characters, quit after beating the Dark Lord (for Zeth, you might do eating contest to pick up Galtia, and quit after getting him from the chest)
- In base phase, pick whatever you want although I recommend getting the 2nd Crook since Pope Crook heal can be useful against DK Kayblis. He hits hard even at difficulty 2.
- Do not rescue Miki, so that after turn 6, DK Kayblis comes after you.
- After beating DK Kayblis, go back and redo turn 6, and this time rescue Miki. If you've done this correctly you'll get all-nations fall on turn 7 or 8.

The Miracle side quest is a Prep phase mission. There are 4 xp ups and a medal. Also, you cannot quit this side-quest so you can't farm it.

FC -> Free Cities

The Ranger side-quest is one time only. You have to collect a certain number of Rangers (5 or 6?) - Kanami, Freya, Dark Heron (Darkness), Crane, Kaoru, Orure or Sioux. One of the ??? Events is a Hanny scene that tells you which characters suffice.

Last edited:

Rance4ever!

Literate
Thank you so much Reinhardt and Jason! Now I can do this right!

Update: I do want to add it seems you are forced to go with Difficulty 2 (without the ranger quest). The first fight with Red Eye always has a purple difficulty space and theres no way to exit that quest. The trick is to keep it at 2.

Update2: After further testing yes you cannot farm without moving the turn. And its doable fighting the quests without touching purple. Out of all the quests which one has the most opportunities in chests and battles or are they all the same #?

I found the Rance strengthening quest has some good drops but it seems to be shorter than the other Defend quests.

I think this game system is a little based off of Daiteikoku. You cannot keep your cards in a new playthrough and you can't get all the events. What sucks a little is at least in Daiteikoku you could manually pick and choose the events you want. Here for the meal tickets its random save scumming. This game is the most time consuming save and reload I have ever played. Its like roulette or poker you keep praying RNG would give you the right card.

Last edited:

Rance4ever!

Literate
This skill is weird. It does damage only to yourself and no buffs are put on the party. Is there a special effect of this skill I'm missing?

https://imgur.com/GKgzR9X
GKgzR9X

For this guy's top skill it says in the wiki it does some kind of interference chance of an enemy action for all the damage dealers in your party is that right?

https://imgur.com/umZWSZG
umZWSZG

Which treasure is the best? I know Bronze is the average bottom class, but which color is best quality Red or Gold?

https://imgur.com/h283UbU
h283UbU

Jason Liang

Arcane
Interrupt attack is the chance that another character from that faction will perform a free auto-attack at the start of a turn, similar to Lia's ability.

I've never gotten Mudhime so I don't know what her abilities are.

The two chests are the same visually, it's just the glow. In this case the two chests contain different versions of Elena Flower.

KingDoofus

Scholar
Haven't looked in here in awhile, glad to see people still active.

Thought I'd give a little input on some of the topics. Rance4ever!, if you're not using "Capture2Text," I'd highly recommend it. It's image recognition software that lets you select text in game and it gives you a rough translation. Takes a little getting used to but I couldn't have finished the game without it and it's incredibly useful for figuring out what card abilities do. You can download it here, http://capture2text.sourceforge.net/

As was pointed out, when rescuing Hornet in the Hallway rush, the enemies you fight are considered bosses so assassination/running away doesn't work. You have to brute force kill all of them in 1-2 turns. The bonus element is Light so Kentarou is likely to be your MVP, as well as anyone who can buff his damage (which will depend on your roster, there's endless possibilities).

For the Land invasion ending, I found that 1-turning wasn't as important as setting the conditions for countries to self-liberate. I think I only 1-turned one country on my Land run (Hard Mode), but 3 of my countries self-liberated. The most important thing in this case is attacking the reinforcement base in Shangri-La as soon as possible (turn 5), putting off grabbing Miki/Kentarou as long as possible, and doing everything you can to keep each country's army competitive (except the 1 you're planning on liberating).

Leazas in principle may be the hardest country to 1-turn, but it has several sweet spots where it's actually easier than others. Since you can 1-turn Leazas through Silky or Hawzel, if you know who you're going to target you can plan around that. 1-turning Hawzel means you have to deal with her massive life total in very few turns; in later turns this is very difficult, but early on before too many difficulty-ups it's pretty manageable (1st or 2nd turn, especially with bonuses). Silky means dealing with her 400k damage shield and 700 life in 8 turns. However, increasing the difficulty doesn't change this - getting through Silky's barrier is as hard on 2-Difficulty as it is on 10-Difficulty. The only thing that changes is how much damage Silky will be doing to you on your turn, not her life or barrier. As a result, she's the only boss that's easier the later you do her. By putting her off until, say, turn 7 (focusing on the other countries first, then Shangri-La, then Miki) or even turn 9 (dealing with another country again, then grabbing Hornet) 1-turning Silky becomes very doable, especially if your roster has acquired some people who can give extra AP (putting off Leazas like this means a heavy focus on them in the Prep phase though).

Keep the info coming! Rance X was just named Game of the Year by Time Magazine!

Rance4ever!

Literate
Thanks Jason, don't bother getting that Monster bird, she sucks lard. My backyard pigeon fights better than her.

Haven't looked in here in awhile, glad to see people still active.

Thought I'd give a little input on some of the topics. Rance4ever!, if you're not using "Capture2Text," I'd highly recommend it. It's image recognition software that lets you select text in game and it gives you a rough translation. Takes a little getting used to but I couldn't have finished the game without it and it's incredibly useful for figuring out what card abilities do. You can download it here, http://capture2text.sourceforge.net/

Thank you for your response. I love this game like crazy but I am still crying mentally over this LAST Game! :( :cry:

There will never be another Rance like Rance! *_*

I never thought I'd say this but game made me more emotional than Nier Automata. TADA is Yoko Taro class genius!

This Capture2Text does it translate as good as Google Translate? I'll have to study how to use it, I've been "handwriting" on Kanji writer and copy/paste to Google translate, this takes rougly 20sec per kanji but I get a more accurate translation most of the time and plus I didn't know how to use the other method lol

Forget Leazas or FC but is it possible to do Double suppression of Babolat on Hard Mode? I'm right now playing all my games on Hard and while its fun it makes it impossible to do DS on anything other than Zeth naturally. Wish there was a way to beat at least Babolat foot. His foot gets crazy HP and it increases with difficulty wish there was a way to do it Hard mode. (I love getting 2 cards instead of 1)

Also I tried so many times to DS Silky, it just doesn't work. I used Poron or Kibako with Uesugi and other damage boosts and the heavy Zeth mage (Alex or the Snow Girl) and while the heavy dealers and Full Kalar did good 100 damage, Kibako or Poron at the end of the combo chain failed to connect. Yes Poron after the other guys did 800K-1000K damage combined failed to do any damage (150-200K?). I thought his damage could stack but it seems Silky requires each character to do 400K+! Also Kibako one time did penetrate her armor at the end of the chain but she did not remove it!!

Of course the wiki guide showed someone using Lei to beat her but DS Lei is impossible for me on a Normal run with CPs forget about Hard mode. (I keep getting shitty drops, this RNG drop would be fun if it wasn't so frustrating having wasted 2-3 days of grinding on a path only to find out I need to reset everything again due to bad luck...)

Jason Liang

Arcane
Of course the wiki guide showed someone using Lei to beat her but DS Lei is impossible for me on a Normal run with CPs forget about Hard mode. (I keep getting shitty drops, this RNG drop would be fun if it wasn't so frustrating having wasted 2-3 days of grinding on a path only to find out I need to reset everything again due to bad luck...)
You can't get Lei if you DS FC. You have to beat Lei at the end of FC1 to get his card.

Rance4ever!

Literate
You can't get Lei if you DS FC. You have to beat Lei at the end of FC1 to get his card.

Yes I've done that 3 times already. The first 2 times (1 normal, 1 hard) had no Lei at the end of Rance solo's 4 treasure chests. The 3rd time I did get Lei and Mary but I suspect it was due to RNG luck not set. The alicesoft wiki wrote you get a guaranteed Lei/Mary if you DS him.

Jason Liang

Arcane

Yes I've done that 3 times already. The first 2 times (1 normal, 1 hard) had no Lei at the end of Rance solo's 4 treasure chests. The 3rd time I did get Lei and Mary but I suspect it was due to RNG luck not set. The alicesoft wiki wrote you get a guaranteed Lei/Mary if you DS him.
Don't solo him. Also, you probably have random chests on.

Rance4ever!

Literate

If I turn off random chests does that mean my drops are limited to story progression? Then my cards would be weaker then before able to get Gandhi, Rick, etc is that right? Why is it a bad idea to solo him when you get 4 chests?? What do I miss out on?

I forgot but the Characters with locked skills what are the conditions to use them?

I know Miki's skill is requiring HP to go below 5%, Kesselring's attack skill requires 2 curses? placed on the enemy, Lei's 2nd skill need Mary Ann's skill (No idea about his 1st), What are the skill conditions for Miracle's 2nd card level? (The one with 666) and her grandmother?

I also remember there was another major character with locked skills but I forgot who. Its too bad, they had some good damage skills but they are unusable.

Nevermind I know now I need to fight team vs Lei

Last edited:

KingDoofus

Scholar
Rance4ever, I've been where you are with Kanji (handwriting, putting in google) and using Capture2Text is much more convenient and a much bigger timesaver. I'm assuming/hoping you're using VNR; that works pretty good with dialogue and narration, at the very least it give you an idea of what's happening. Capture2Text I use on cards and story choices, which VNR won't recognize. If it captures the words accurately - which it usually does - the translation is comparable to google translate. Getting used to the program doesn't take super long. You'll probably be comfortable using it withing about 5 minutes. I think it requires you play the game in windowed mode though (or else it will put the game in windowed mode every time you use it).

Some of the other questions you had: Double suppressing a country usually means you're going to miss out on a card or two (not always though). In the case of the Free Cities, there's 4 ways for it to end - beat Rei early in a fight (Rei dies, option to attack Pi-R early), beat Rei early when he's injured (Rei dies, option to attack Pi-R early), beat Rei late in a 1v1 fight (Rei dies, you get 4 premium chests), or beat Rei with a team (Rei joins you, Mary unlocks as a reward in later chests). You'll see these types of variances in all the different countries depending on when you win.

Usually, chests have two types of rewards - all cards are randomly selected from the available card pool or the cards predetermined. For example, after you beat Rei with a team the chest will always have Rei, Mary, and 1 random card. If you don't get Rei or Mary here, they'll be put into the card pool and show up in later chests. However, if you choose to import cards you've already unlocked (bottom-most choice in NG+ bonuses) then I think all chests become randomly selected from the available card pool (and that card pool is every card you've ever unlocked). I think that's how it works, though I'm not certain.

As for some of the cards with ability requirements: Rei's bottom ability require's Mary in the active roster. His top ability require's the enemy to be electrocuted (which characters like Magic, Kabachahn, etc. can do). 666 Miracle and her grandmother require the enemy's life total to end with a 6 before she can use that ability. Kesselring doesn't require curses, he/she requires the combo meter to be at 2 and won't attack at any other value. Plenty of characters have abilities that they can't use against bosses (like assassination skills). Lots of characters have unique conditions to their attacks: Capture2Text will really help with this (it recognizes the text most easily on their character profile page).

As for double suppressing places on Hard mode, it's become the common opinion that it mostly depends on your card drops (so basically, you have to get lucky). If you get a bunch of stinkers, you're going to have trouble doubling a country early. But if you get a bunch of studs (like
Arios and his girlfriend
) you're going to do much better.

Also remember! This may be the last new Rance game but Alicesoft has already made noise that they'd like to make a Rance 04! Io will have her day again! Ho ho ho!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom