Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gamepad recommendations

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I've been using an Xbox 360 controller for the last 2 years on my PC, and it's treated me pretty well. However, recently the analog sticks have started to die out - most notably, I've got drift going on, where my character or camera will start moving on its own without me touching the sticks (apparently a common problem on 360 pads). The sticks are also starting to get a bit stiff, and the buttons are noticeably less responsive than on a new pad. I think this is probably the shortest length a gamepad has ever lasted me, even though I've probably used it no more than 200 hours. It still works, but fucking up precise actions because button presses aren't registering properly is getting on my nerves.

So, I'm in the market for a new one. My priorities are compatibility, price and longevity/durability. While I want to use it mostly for modern games, I do some emulation and play a few 2D games, so a decent D-pad also helps, though it doesn't have to be excellent or anything. Searching for an alternative that works well on PC has been an exercise in frustration, as there just isn't very good selection, at least of anything that isn't total crap.

I've narrowed it down to two potential alternatives to the Xbox 360 controller:
  1. Logitech F510. This one is at the top of my list right now. Despite being ugly as sin, everything I've read indicates it is very well-built and durable, and it's got rumble, which I don't think I could live without these days. On top of that it supports both XInput and DirectInput, so it should work with basically anything. It apparently has a good D-pad, but it also has a PS2-style layout which I am not a fan of.
  2. Razer Onza. This is basically an upscale 360 controller, and I was actually dead set on it until I heard complaints about quality control. While I have multiple Razer products and have never run into the problems their products are supposedly famous for, the negative reviews for this thing were way too prevalent to ignore. It's a shame because this thing looks damn near perfect otherwise. If anyone's used it, how does it hold up?
So, do I go for one of these, or just bite down and shell out for another Microsoft controller, knowing it'll probably have more issues in a couple of years?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'd get another 360 controller, but get it from somewhere that'll give you a warranty if you can. Trade it in as soon as the warranty is about to expire. These things are built to disintegrate, and even if it's still working 18 months from now just fine, it'll still be on it's last legs compared to a new one. In particular, the rubber used to give the buttons and d-pad their spring gets worn out easily, and once a hole/tear has been worn into those they start acting like total shit.

Another thing that can fuck up (especially if the problem is non responsiveness) is that dirt/grime can get inside the controller, and onto the contacts under the buttons/dpad. You can easily clean it off by taking the controller apart... if you have the right screwdriver. And don't mind voiding the warranty. And want to waste the time doing shit that shouldn't be necessary at all.

I used the same fucking sega genesis controller for years and years and years and played it a ton and never had a problem at all. Same with the SNES. 360 controller I bought a little over a month ago? Button was sticking with a week. Had to take it in and exchange it. Pure bullshit.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
I got a Razer Onza a while ago, but I was utterly disappointed. The quality seems pretty bad (a friend got one and a button broke early on), and the D-pad is very clunky and unusable for anything other than weapon switching in first-person shooters. The only thing I like about it, really, is the action buttons. They have a distinct click to them and require little force to push down. I should add that I bought it primarily because I'm dissatisfied with the original 360 D-pad, but the Onza one was far worse. If you don't care about the D-pad, it's probably not that bad.

What I'm using myself for PC is a PS2 controller with a USB converter, and I have no complaints. It's quite simply the best gamepad I know of, next to the original SNES one. If you don't like the layout, though, I have no recommendations.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Xbox or Playstation controller is the best choice IMO. I don't know about the quality of the xbox controller (or the abuse you've given it) , but official Playstation controllers have very good built quality. In fact I'm still using an ancient PS1 controller with my PC.

All pc gamepads I've tried sucked.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
These puppies on the other hand were built to last :

Pacman2.jpg

I can't begin to imagine the amount of abuse it suffered in my juvenile hands, playing kick-off and Sensible Soccer. Yet, it endured.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've bought one myself one of those Onza controllers a few months ago.
It has a nice long cable (I hate wireless) and the configurable buttons are nice (albeit a bit too limited for my taste), But on the downside, they're expensive and the quality is quite extremely shoddy for the price they're asking.

I thought I'd make the driver spew some raw values of the controller at resting position to demonstrate.
Code:
X1:  -512 Y1:     0  X2:     0 Y2:-13788  du:0 dd:0 dl:0 dr:0  back:0 guide:0 start:0  TL:0 TR:0  A:0 B:0 X:0 Y:0  LB:0 RB:0  LT:  0 RT:  0
I've used this for a grand total of 80 hours, and all of that devoted to playing Persona 4 in an emulator and just look how screwed up the secondary analogue stick is (and that game barely even utilises it!)

If you really do want to get one, whether that be for the configurable shoulder buttons or the ability to adjust the resistance of the analogue stcks or rumble.
Keep the bloody receipt, law demands that the provided goods at be fit for purpose for a reasonable amount of time, at least here in Australia.

I'd say the Logitech one is the better option though.
But I should clear up that DirectInput and XInput are just APIs with which to access peripherals, like controllers, mice and keyboards and that the Onza series include 2 rumble motors.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
PS3 is an interesting option. I'm not a big fan of the layout, but I suppose I could adjust. Is there a way to hook one up via USB? Do I need an adapter, or PC drivers?

As for the XInput vs. DirectInput thing, yeah, I know. A lot of old games do have partial support for XInput controllers, but the trigger buttons and whatnot don't work properly. There are a few games like Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time that I would like to play using a gamepad, so support for both drivers is a big bonus in my mind, though not 100% essential.

Thanks for all the replies by the way, very helpful! Yeah, they definitely don't make them like they used to. Fuck, I still have N64 controllers that hold up a decade later, and my Genesis ones would probably still work if I cleaned the dust and dirt out.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You should buy a PS2 controller since they are much cheaper than the PS3 ones and are basically the same for what you want them to do. There's a simple usb converter that lets you connect 2 controllers, it come with drivers , pretty cheap IIRC.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As for the XInput vs. DirectInput thing, yeah, I know. A lot of old games do have partial support for XInput controllers, but the trigger buttons and whatnot don't work properly.

Those games use DirectInput and as such access the controller through it.

The problem is that the trigger buttons are pressure sensitive and offer 256 different states (0 - rest, 255 - fully depressed), which means they get treated as a pair of standalone axis (5 and 6). Hell, if you felt masochistic enough you could probably configure said games to use the trigger buttons to control movement or camera motion.

The drivers should allow you to send old fashioned button events to accommodate these games (as buttons 7 and 8).

yuki2012

Educated
I've been using an Xbox 360 controller for the last 2 years on my PC, and it's treated me pretty well. However, recently the analog sticks have started to die out - most notably, I've got drift going on, where my character or camera will start moving on its own without me touching the sticks (apparently a common problem on 360 pads). The sticks are also starting to get a bit stiff, and the buttons are noticeably less responsive than on a new pad. I think this is probably the shortest length a gamepad has ever lasted me, even though I've probably used it no more than 200 hours. It still works, but fucking up precise actions because button presses aren't registering properly is getting on my nerves.

So, I'm in market for a new one. My priorities are compatibility, price and longevity/durability. While I want to use it mostly for modern games, I do some emulation and play a few 2D games, so a decent D-pad also helps, though it doesn't have to be excellent or anything. Searching for an alternative that works well on PC has been an exercise in frustration, as there just isn't very good selection, at least of anything that isn't total crap.

I've narrowed it down to two potential alternatives to the Xbox 360 controller:
  1. Logitech F510. This one is at the top of my list right now. Despite being ugly as sin, everything I've read indicates it is very well-built and durable, and it's got rumble, which I don't think I could live without these days. On top of that it supports both XInput and DirectInput, so it should work with basically anything. It apparently has a good D-pad, but it also has a PS2-style layout which I am not a fan of.
  2. Razer Onza. This is basically an upscale 360 controller, and I was actually dead set on it until I heard complaints about quality control. While I have multiple Razer products and have never run into the problems their products are supposedly famous for, the negative reviews for this thing were way too prevalent to ignore. It's a shame because this thing looks damn near perfect otherwise. If anyone's used it, how does it hold up?
So, do I go for one of these, or just bite down and shell out for another Microsoft controller, knowing it'll probably have more issues in a couple of years?

Okay, just bite down and shell out for another Microsoft controller.

spekkio

Arcane
I use Dual Shock 2 (PS2) + cheap USB adapter.
Since... 2005?

Logitech if you don't want to mess around with adapters.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
logitech-dual-action-usb.jpg

Costs like $10. If you need anything more you are a complete faggot.

But then, who but a complete faggot would buy anything made by Razer?
The F510 is the same thing, just a newer model and has rumble + XInput support.

As for Razer... I have both a mouse and a keyboard from them. They were well priced next to the competition and have performed admirably. I realize they have the whole PRO GAMER brand thing going on but I haven't been disappointed by them so far. I can't say they're any better than, say, Logitech, but they had the features I wanted and that's what's mattered.

I think I've decided on the F510. I really want a change from the 360 pad even if it probably is the best choice, and I found a place that sells it for quite cheap (under $30 CAD). The other options just don't seem to be there, and while the PS2/3 idea was neat, I don't think I want to fiddle with the adapter.

Thanks for all the input everyone, it was helpful!

Repressed Homosexual
360 controller for modern games, Saturn USB gamepad from Ebay for classic games (can be gotten for around 15$).

The d-pad quality on the Saturn controller is pretty much unmatched.

I did find every PC controller I have tried unergonomic and unpleasant to use.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Back during DOS times I also had, and still have, the Logitech Thunderpad Digital.
3472.gif

I can't recommend it.

For WinUAE I got this Competition Pro:
competition-pro-retro.jpg

And I can't recommend it either.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
you guys should watch out for analog stick compatibility and if the joystick fucks up the USB connection thing often

even the official MS wireless pc xbox controllers had this issue I think, while some of the counterfeit less popular controllers may give you shit if you try to use the analog sticks or the more exotic D-pads

didn't read the thread

Get Saitek.
I have joystick Cyborg evo and gamepad Cyborg PP26, looking terrible but very hard to damage, it survives many drunken nights and still precision is flawless.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
gravispcgamepadxp9.jpg

This and nothing else.

hardware_joystick_konix_speedking.jpg

I can't believe a lot of us bought this one and it was incredibly shitty.

abija

Prophet
Had no problems with F310 so far (though I couldn't find it at 10$ as someone pointed out, more like 30 euro), I'd go with logitech. Having it work in any game without any additional tweaking is nothing to scoff at tbh. I usually use controller only when forced which means the game is very likely to have improper configuration options.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I use the X360 one but Im looking at the new Dualshock 4 that comes with PS4 and its supposed to be plug and play with a PC like the Xbox one.
I didnt hear anybody talking shit about it yet, only praise. That could be a purchase if you're into latest and greatest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom