Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game of Thrones RPG

Name

Cipher
Just finished the game, damn, that was good.
Mors returning to the Night Watch is the only true ending for Mors, now for Alester's
His death is true ending. OUTLAWS MY ASS! Alester is unbro, etc.

IMHO that's the beauty of the writing: All endings are great, unlike in most game you have a golden ending with some good endings and bad endings.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
I played this on the Microsoft XBox 360 Entertainment & Gaming Console DVD System, and being a storyfag, really got a kick out of it until I had to fight some dude in a tavern that I was simply too shitty to beat, so I watched the rest on YouTube. I fully admit and encourage the idea that I'm straight shit at video games, however.

The controls even kinda sucked on the Microsoft XBox 360 brand Wirelesss Entertainment Gamepad Accesory, but I'd suggest - at the threat of mockery and dickpunches, that it's one of the ten best gamestories-cum-storytelling, in the whole wild wide world. Or at least in modern ARPGs.

It's grimdark, but at the very least it tries to talk to its audience like they're adults, where 99.9% of all games ever are anathematic to their audience, either by ignorance or design.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:necro:

I have being playing it again these days and today I finished it, and my opinion of the game has not gotten any worse, in fact, I think I liked it even more.

From a narrative standpoint is fucking glorious. Mors Westford and Alester Sarwick are two of the greatest characters I've played as, and when shit goes down in this game, it really goes down. The segments from chapter 9 to 14 (although there are two other chapters plus epilogue, but they're part of 14 in my book) the game is a perfect reflection of the very best A Song of Ice and Fire can bring. The story is really well paced, with a slow beginning to introduce well the characters and the two arcs, as well as the world (the first five chapters or so are not as compelling as the late ones, but the late ones wouldn't have the same impact without the slow build up), and all the twists and turns the story takes are very well executed and are worthy of some of the most memorable moments from the books (chapter 11 takes the cake for me. Emotional engagement at its best). The villain is also quite strong, one of those villains you love to hate, and the side characters are also really good (maybe the short end of the stick goes to the Sarwick family, as they're a bit underdeveloped)
The fact that it has very little content outside the main quest helps to keep things focused which strenghten the story, but even then some of the side stuff still creates some holes to the urgent narrative of the game (chapter 13 is specially guilty of that, having two side quests at castle black when everything is happenning in the south and the urgency is extremely high)
The C&C is mostly cosmetic or inconsequential to the grand scheme of things, but the choices you make are of the tough, morally ambiguos kind, which is good, and even if the C&C is nothing to write home about, it brings some nice touches.

Outside the narrative, is a very Bioware-ish RPG in terms of gameplay, but unlike Bioware games, it knows to not overdue things. Combat is short, very fast paced and it has few filler (by the end things get more fillery, but it's still not "too much"), which helps the fact that is very straight forward and simplistic, and not really well executed.

Although I have to say, usually I'm not the least bothered by low production values, but this game really struggle with this issue as it had to be "cinematic". Bad voice acting (although the major characters are reasonably well acted), extremely poor visually, tons of awkward and cheap-looking animations, plenty of bad shots in the "cinematic dialogues"... the game looks cheap as hell, but still, some of the cinematics (usually the most important) are well done if we take into account the cheapness of all of it. Also, the combat kill animations are also quite nice, even if there's only one for every fightstyle (they're pretty unusual, so they don't get too old)

In conclusion, I kinda love the game. It's sad that so few people have played it, and that it was slammed so hard by the press (hardly surprising though, considering the poor production values and Cyanide being mostly an unknown studio)

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The villain was basically the Mountain and a maester in one. I wouldn't have blinked if he could tame dragons.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
In conclusion, I kinda love the game. It's sad that so few people have played it, and that it was slammed so hard by the press (hardly surprising though, considering the poor production values and Cyanide being mostly an unknown studio)

Absolutely. I'd say half-baked technical state of things aside, it's really the way how it takes relatively long for stories to properly kick in and start converging that probably put off a number of players from the game when they should've stuck with it. Good half or so of its length you're basically flying blind while being aware of something out there that could be great and it gets great eventually.

Paul_cz

Arcane
This game sucks, but its fucking amazing. Best interactive story alongisde Torment and Witcher series I ever experienced. Frankly, it was kinda better than the show.

Oh and this made me chuckle

zMjbP.jpg

Last edited:

Hellwalker

Animmal
Developer
Almost all Cyanide games have some good redeeming quality mostly in setting, concept or a story and tons of crappy content. They go into the category of crappy games you still enjoy for some reason.
For GOT RPG it's the story and badass characters.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This game sucks, but its fucking amazing. Best interactive story alongisde Torment and Witcher series I ever experienced. Frankly, it was kinda better than the show.

Oh and this made me chuckle

zMjbP.jpg

If you answer the questions, does Mors
still loses the eye?

I just can't resist to give the middle finger to the torturers. The snarky comments from Mors are awesome.

Paul_cz

Arcane
If you answer the questions, does Mors
still loses the eye?

I just can't resist to give the middle finger to the torturers. The snarky comments from Mors are awesome.

I have no idea, it has been 2 years since I finished it, my memory is too feeble to remember such small details.

Morkar Left

I think I should really give it a try. Would you guys consider it better as the Witcher games?

Paul_cz

Arcane
I think I should really give it a try. Would you guys consider it better as the Witcher games?

It is similarly good when it comes to writing, just very high quality.

It is vastly worse in everything else.

You should still play it. Torment has shitty gameplay too and yet it's one of the best games ever.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I think the game's got moxy and spirit and other intangibles that I can't really stand to define or defend, yet I keep finding it in most Cyanide games for some reason or another.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I just found it simply unplayable, and not being a big fat of the settings, it really undermined my already fleeting will to play it.
I can see how not being a big fat of the settings would put a damper on my enjoyment, yeah.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Better than the first Bitcher? Maybe... The Bitcher 2, definitely. The combat is less-retarded so that's a plus. The Bitcher 3: Mild Cunt? I wouldn't know, I'm waiting for the GOTC edition with all DLC and bugfixes and "lel we didn't really downgrade the grafix that's why there's a sudden 10GB patch overnight" patch to be on Steam for $5-10 before buying it.

But yes it's better than the first 2.

Cadmus

Arcane
why the fuck cant this thread be found by using the SEARCH function?

I'm torn, I'm in act 3 or something, regained control of Mors after the cliffhanger death in Act 1 and I don't know if I wanna play further. The graphics are ugly, reminds me of early 3D for some reason even when it says UNREAL at the load screen, the gameplay is a linear FOLLOW THE COMPASS DON'T LOOK AROUND TOO MUCH crap.. You all said the story was great so I'll give it a shot again but it's not looking good. I also hate the shit active pause, can't it be REAL pause instead?
Better than the first Bitcher? Maybe... The Bitcher 2, definitely. The combat is less-retarded so that's a plus. The Bitcher 3: Mild Cunt? I wouldn't know, I'm waiting for the GOTC edition with all DLC and bugfixes and "lel we didn't really downgrade the grafix that's why there's a sudden 10GB patch overnight" patch to be on Steam for $5-10 before buying it.

But yes it's better than the first 2.
This is a bold statement for such a cheap looking game. I think you might be a fucking retard, gotta play some more to confirm this suspicion though.

Deleted member 7219

I thought the game was horrible in every single way, and I am a fan of GRRM (and the TV show).

Paul_cz

Arcane
I thought the game was horrible in every single way, and I am a fan of GRRM (and the TV show).
How long did you play it ?
I mean, yes, everything about it is mediocre to poor, except story, but the story (which is fantastic) only picks up after multiple hours in the game.

Deleted member 7219

How long did you play it ?
I mean, yes, everything about it is mediocre to poor, except story, but the story (which is fantastic) only picks up after multiple hours in the game.

I completed it, and then watched the other endings on YouTube.

I had played this back when it came out in 2012 and kind of dismissed it as popamole even though I liked the setting. I got about halfway through and gave up.

5 years of decline sure puts things under perspective - reinstalling it today and the writing is head and shoulders above pretty much everything, including Twitcher 3 (the regular shit, not the outstanding stuff like Baron quest, Hearts of Stone, etc.)

I like the setting and the game is actually much better than the TV show. It's like a Bioware style RPG done right without the SJW bullshit. Not the deepest thing but compared to recent decline, pretty fucking good and especially for a fledgling French studio that had like 1/100th of the budget big games get. This and Styx makes me a fan of Cyanide, sign me up.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I had played this back when it came out in 2012 and kind of dismissed it as popamole even though I liked the setting. I got about halfway through and gave up.

5 years of decline sure puts things under perspective - reinstalling it today and the writing is head and shoulders above pretty much everything, including Twitcher 3 (the regular shit, not the outstanding stuff like Baron quest, Hearts of Stone, etc.)

I like the setting and the game is actually much better than the TV show. It's like a Bioware style RPG done right without the SJW bullshit. Not the deepest thing but compared to recent decline, pretty fucking good and especially for a fledgling French studio that had like 1/100th of the budget big games get. This and Styx makes me a fan of Cyanide, sign me up.

I don't know if I should give you agree or disagree because I agree the game has awesome writing, but disagree that it is better than Witcher 3, I would put them on par. TW3 is still vastly bigger achievement overall, but I would recommend GoT to anyone interested in well written atmospheric story. Just wish the combat wasn't so utterly sleep inducing, then I might even replay it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom