Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones (HBO series)

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by Multidirectional, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Make America Great Again Multidirectionalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Multidirectional
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    You'd have to be a huge faggot to really think that. I'll give you benefit of a doubt.

^ Top  
  2. fizzelopegussgender: ⚧ Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    Parrots:
    Collossal cocksmoker detected.

^ Top  
  3. catfoodgender: ⚧ AGAIN

catfood
    Parrots:
    Dani's three slaves are all better looking than Sansa for example.

^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Multidirectionalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Multidirectional
    Parrots:
    That makes her ugly? Preferring non redheads (crazy as it is) is one thing, what you said was completely the other.

^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Azalingender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Azalin
    Parrots:
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. GarfunkeLgender: ⚧ Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Parrots:
    Plus she's supposed to be 13, meaning not exactly looking like a voluptuous pleasure-slave, like the three women following Dani.

^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Multidirectionalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Multidirectional
    Parrots:
    Yep, and the actress is 15.

^ Top  
  8. Freelance Henchmangender: ⚧ Arcane

Freelance Henchman
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity
    Oh wow, she is? :pedobear:

^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Johannesgender: ⚧ Arcane

Johannes
    Parrots:
    And 14 during the shootings then...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Ulminatigender: ⚧ Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Show Spoiler
    If he does, it's after a feast for crows. He only gets better as the books progress

^ Top  
  11. fizzelopegussgender: ⚧ Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    Parrots:
    I'd hit it with the force of an exploding star, there'd be naught left but ashes and dust. ASHES AND DUST!

^ Top  
  12. mangsygender: ⚧ Educated

mangsy
    Parrots:
    Yeah, the forced exposition was lame this time around, and I feel like it was too much detail to throw at newcomers all at once anyway. I did laugh that they tired to combine sex and exposition (sexposition) though.

^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again Naelgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nael
    Parrots:
    Look at the differences in the shots taken. The Game of Thrones scene consists of about 20-30 different close up shots a minute. I mean holy fuck dude... How can you understand a scene when it's fragmented like that? And not for good effect. In Sanjuro, Kurosawa let's the actors set a scene. If you have to use the camera to jump around and keep people watching your presentation you have Failed. Capital "F" bitch.

Here's an example of good fragmentation in an opening scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJTtERBvE_A

The different shots have purpose. Then when that purpose is over, the director concentrates on interaction between characters in a scene.

Again, as fizzle pointed out, it probably isn't fair to compare the two. Game of Thrones is really just for people who read the books and want to wank off to actors LARPing on it's basic premise. Cinematic quality isn't an important aspect I suppose. :obviously:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Destroidgender: ⚧ Arcane

Destroid
    Parrots:
    I have to say, I didn't really notice it while watching and thoroughly enjoyed the scene, but watching it with an eye for the cuts makes it look really epileptic and it uses the modern technique for shooting action - that is, you never see the action because it is obscured by dozens of cuts. I guess this is so they can use anyone for the scenes and don't need skilled stuntmen/women.

It's funny we have one person complaining the camera is too static in dialogue scenes and another complaining it is too active in action scenes.

^ Top  
  15. DeathStalksTheLandgender: ⚧ Novice

DeathStalksTheLand
    Parrots:
    It's really a shame they couldn't get Kurosawa to direct this show.

^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again Naelgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nael
    Parrots:
    :lol:

:troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Think big!gender: ⚧ Arcane

Think big!
    Parrots:
    And that's the only thing that should matter. You're tricking yourself into not liking it later.

Look, the scene is about an instructor teaching her how to do the "water dance," so it only makes sense that the camera should move around a lot in order to reflect that. It works, and it's good.

^ Top  
  18. Destroidgender: ⚧ Arcane

Destroid
    Parrots:
    Just lucky I don't really care about the technical aspects of film making I guess, I don't look out for that kind of stuff when I am watching a show.

^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again Johannesgender: ⚧ Arcane

Johannes
    Parrots:
    In that scene it didn't really bother me, but the sword training at the Nights Watch scenes I was really annoyed how they didn't represent a consistent picture of the fight, cam angle changes on every sword stroke, you don't see any overall choreography.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Naelgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nael
    Parrots:
    It doesn't and it is nauseatingly bad.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. madegender: ⚧ Arcane

made
    Parrots:
    Word, bro. Arya on the other hand...

From what I remember, The Wall chapters were some of the more interesting ones in the book, but in the show they just suck. The Jon actor doesn't work for me, and the fat dude is plain awful. There's really only a handful of convincing actors on the whole show. Pity.

^ Top  
  22. Make America Great Again Multidirectionalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Multidirectional
    Parrots:
    There's absolutely nothing not to understand in that scene. I think it worked just fine.

Why do I like it then? I haven't read those damn books. I still think it's a beautifully shot show. And you haven't even watched it, apart from one scene, right?

^ Top  
  23. fizzelopegussgender: ⚧ Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    Parrots:
    I just had a shave with the edginess in thread.

Smooth as a babys ass.

^ Top  
  24. Trashgender: ⚧ Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Parrots:
    Only thing so far I didn't like is the speed of it all and the continued overabanduce of exposition. I really dislike them racing through the tournament and Stark's conversation with the queen during that for instance. Small niggle though. Actors, camerawork, direction et all are more than fine. Me like.

^ Top  
  25. shihonagegender: ⚧ You see: shelter. Patron

shihonage
    Parrots:
    Bubbles In Memoria
    What's even funnier is that the reason for both phenomena is the same - high lazyness or low budget, or both.

It's easy to show someone cite a book for 10 minutes non-stop, than to try and aid it with flashback imagery.

It's also easier to construct fight choreography out of 0.5-second cuts between which you're free to reposition actors, than to actually hire a trainer and teach them to move in a continuous, believable shot.

That said, I don't have a problem with the latter. Teaching does not produce consistent results with everyone, and making a little girl into an action star is a bit too much to expect from a TV show.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)