Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game journalists ;rage; against EA and BF3

Raapys

Arcane
Norwegian article, so non-vikings will have to g00gletranslate: http://e24.no/media/spilljournalister-r ... s/20111124

Basically, they're now at the stage where they're inviting game journalists to try out the game before it's released to the public. The outlets have to fill out a form about the reviewer's taste and history which they send back to EA, one that will presumably be the deciding factor in whether the journalist/outlet gets the game or not. Form looks like this:

130898.jpg

While everyone obviously knew this shit was happening, it's kinda neat to see them actually proving it.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
So the only review on launch day is going to be from planetbattlefield.com, right?

Bruticis

If you made a shitty game, why would you not want to hand pick who reviews your game?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lie about loving the game, then release a scathing review.

Angthoron

Arcane
Game reviewers should have game copies provided by their employer anyway, what the fuck is this.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It was a pre-common-access-to-internets thing. It was described in a Polish gaming magazine called Gambler.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Awor Szurkrarz said:
It was a pre-common-access-to-internets thing. It was described in a Polish gaming magazine called Gambler.

Wasn't it all fishy? I remember the deal having ludicurous spelling mistake and grammar error, and looked very amatourish. Either it was fake or EA had some incompetent potato workers prepare it.

Anyway, I just found the scan of the contract. It looks as shitty, as I remembered

umowa.jpg

Even if it's fake, it was made by a fucking prophet.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I have never seen any such contracts as this. Really disheartening, though not unexpected. Thankfully most sites I read tend to be above this sort of thing, and would rather forgo advance coverage.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
sea said:
I have never seen any such contracts as this.

That's because Gamebanshee does not give consistent 1000/10 scores for all EA games, like the rest of the game websites with Professional Game Journalist™.

Bruticis

Um, shouldn't people be bitching at the gaming "journalists" for accepting what amounts to basically bribes? Why should we be shocked a publisher is trying to buy good PR? I say hang the fucking video game jurnos and site owners that enter into these shady deals.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Getting ad revenue and traffic is more important than actual reviewing, apart from few small sites. It's a problem in real news organization as well, especially on TV side.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Mrowak said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:

Wasn't it all fishy? I remember the deal having ludicurous spelling mistake and grammar error, and looked very amatourish. Either it was fake or EA had some incompetent potato workers prepare it.
It could be written by the magazine staff, not EA.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Jaesun said:
sea said:
I have never seen any such contracts as this.

That's because Gamebanshee does not give consistent 1000/10 scores for all EA games, like the rest of the game websites with Professional Game Journalist™.
Well that, but even when I've dealt with the press under fairly strict circumstances (granted, only a few times) it's still never been nearly as... offensive as that. If anything usually the PR guys are pretty great about answering questions and being flexible. This is just EA being straight-up evil and I'm really surprised they're as blatant as this.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
sea said:
I have never seen any such contracts as this. Really disheartening, though not unexpected. Thankfully most sites I read tend to be above this sort of thing, and would rather forgo advance coverage.

There are still honest game review sites in existence? Gaming journalists with a spine? Gief links plz?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
A Dutch magazine I regularly read has been going on about shit like this a lot lately. Press review copies only being let free at the last moment so they won't get in that month's magazine because the publisher counts on sales being highest in the first weeks and they don't want shit reviews to ruin that, early copies only being presented to a chosen few, review copies being presented as the latest beta so the mag can get a review out early and will go easy on the bugs only to find that the bugs are still in the game when shipped, strict rules and NDA's in pr events, magazines and sites that write critically being blacklisted... It just goes on. The industry turned from hobby to pro and then they handed the reigns to the guys in accounting and marketing. They (Gameplay Magazine) also had a pretty good interview with the founder of Larian. Guy basically ripped publishers and the industry a new one. Creative bankrupcy, suits, money, blah blah. Maybe I'll translate and post it. Codexers would love it.

baronjohn

Cipher
Gaming "journalists" ruined gaming long before the kwa hollywood jews took everything over. I remember how every fucking FIFA/NBA/whatever iteration got 90+ while original games were given shit reviews and left in the dust to be forgotten and their publishers and developers to fail.

And now these same people who are responsible for 90% of the decline DARE TO WHINE ABOUT THE STATE OF THE INDUSTRY?!?!

Black

Arcane
What I find weird is that this is news to many of you. Same ol, same ol circlejerk. "Journalists" cream over shitty games, publishers give them more material to cream on and GAMERS are happy because they're playing 10/10 gotys because they're too dumb to rate games on their own.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
HAH! Norway brings the :incline:

http://www.pressfire.no/nyheter/PC/4119 ... tlefield-3

From the Norwegian State Broadcaster NO LESS!

FUCK THE JEW SHIT! GO COMMIE!

*reads comments on article* :what:

God damnit.....you guise are lucky as hell for your ignorance in Norwegian.

....fucking gamers...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom