Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game idea

Belisarios

Literate
Hello fellow RPG players,
I have for long stalking this forum, but finally i have something meaningful to post (at least for me).

I was student of IT (unsuccesful) and im currently going to completly diferent kind of school. I dont want to abbadon this field completly so to rhe point.

I want to create game, 2D RPG and im asking for some help. I already found game editor/engine for me and got some basic ideas. I think i can handle it by myself or later get some people in from my school. However i would like to get some feedback on my ideas, plot etc. Could this forum be the place or could you navigate me to such forum?

Jokzore

Arbiter
If there was a better alternative out there, we wouldn't still be here.

This is as good as it gets my dude.

Belisarios

Literate
If there was a better alternative out there, we wouldn't still be here.

This is as good as it gets my dude.
Maybe postig it to reddit ? Or try to contact generous indie developer for advice should be alternative?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just fucking post your ideas already so we can rip into them, goddamn.

Nobody here is stopping you from it and this is the best place on the internet to get constructive feedback that won't just tell you "it's good", people here will tell you their real unfiltered opinions.

So go ahead. Post your ideas.

Belisarios

Literate
Main plot idea is reverse RPG without moral grey areas like Tyranny.

You will be in charge of bulgras,murderes,robbers,picpocketers,charlatans,witch doctors,brawlers an so on which will also be the classes. They will have common skill tree like in Drakensang but they will have some restrictions/adventages which favors some kind of builds. I would like to do party based combat probably 1PC 3NPC with 1NPC to join for every class.

To setting i would say that you will start as novice in thieves guild and continue to bigger secret organization like Zhentarim(or something else you got the point). Many quest will start in tavern/brothel? where someone will come to find guys suitable for their shady bussines. Quest will be roberies,blackmailing,kidnnaping,suppling army of evil besieging paladins/keep, corruption etc. World will be partialy open with some less "evil" quest outside of world with choice to have some degree of honor or goody goody tendencies.

Combat should look very simmilar to Hoplite android game with inovations, but should be turnbased. There will be minigames one i got on my mind is Eye of the beholder dungeon in sewers for just one character for one quest. Or maybe some puzzle sequences too.

I dont want to write every single detail which i have for the game but i think i got the main idea pretty well.j

Feel free to ask more if you are interested.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Overall, don’t hate the idea and would probably play such a game if well done. That being said, your description of the mechanics don’t tell me much at all, and I hate the idea of just one character and a ton of NPCs. Isn’t there a way to allow a player to create their own party of ambitious thugs? Just a thought.

Belisarios

Literate
Talent tree would consist of social skills where all conversation skills would be than thief skills with all shady know-how than martial skills with agility path(feint,heart attack, piercing hits etc.), strenght path(double dmg blow, taunt, stuns etc.), and ranged path (throwing, bow/crossbow, maybe firearms not sure if the setting would allow it). Next would be magic path with just low magic for charlatan class, with open lock, charm, cure poison/disease, heal, some illusions, and buffs, maybe low dmg high debuff attack. Last should be knowledge path with crafting, alchemy, non magic medicine, and some areas like arcane, hunting ...

Combat would play like ordering action on hexagonal field and then all actions are played at once. You would probally have small number of slots for itiems/abilities to keep it clear.

World exploring and interactions would be many times done through Pillars of Eternity like text novels, which would be one of the key elements( to simplify world building and to have less work with coding and graphics).

Is it clarified enough ? And btw it would be 2D probably i think 3D isnt possible maybe only with heavy use of templetes.

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
Is it clarified enough ? And btw it would be 2D probably i think 3D isnt possible maybe only with heavy use of templetes.

It will get clarified if you start posting some images.
It seems the whole project is still on your head and that's no good for now.
Things like "it would play like" etc. does not help much, people need to read / view something concrete before saying anything.
And obviously, develop a thicker skin for regular trolls, only keep contructive criticism and respect your work.

Belisarios

Literate

It will get clarified if you start posting some images.
It seems the whole project is still on your head and that's no good for now.
Things like "it would play like" etc. does not help much, people need to read / view something concrete before saying anything.
And obviously, develop a thicker skin for regular trolls, only keep contructive criticism and respect your work.

Yes you are right it is in my head mostly. I just started it but want to have some feedback. Im learning to do work in Godot engine. But first durnig this holiday i would make concepts art, abilities, skills, plot, quest, etc. To know what exactly i want to accomplish and then try to make it as close to it with some demos scenes and them maybe whole game.

I just asked there if main idea is enough to bother with at least.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Nothing wrong with 2D. First thing you need to do is manage your expectations. Figure out what kind of game you have the resources to build and then build within that. Don’t try to get too crazy your first time out.

Belisarios

Literate
Nothing wrong with 2D. First thing you need to do is manage your expectations. Figure out what kind of game you have the resources to build and then build within that. Don’t try to get too crazy your first time out.

Im quite realistic i want to do list with importance of features and start to build them maybe i will finish it at some point without everything. Maybe i could posiblly lure some people to help me later. Anyway thanks for all posts looking forward more and if i have something more i will definitely post it here.

J1M

Arcane
The evil thing isn't interesting enough. You should add some out of combat gameplay like Golden Sun did.

Although frankly this sounds a lot like you just played Tyranny and want to make a clone of that.

Jokzore

Arbiter
I googled reverse RPG and it lead me to this https://www.rpgmakercentral.com/topic/21443-the-reverse-rpg/

You all have heard the same old story before: a group of ragtag adventurers seek four mystical artifacts from around the world to defeat an evil boss hiding in his lair.

There's just one problem: you realize the boss is utterly useless and have killed him in a single fell swoop of your dull blade. Now it dawns on you: you've essentially robbed four civilizations of their most valuable artifacts and trinkets; objects of worship, in order to kill off some whelp of an evil guy who turns out to be someone who isn't all that bad.

Your inner guilt haunting you, you resolve to return the artifacts to where they truly belong, while dodging and interacting with angry natives and creatures you've mercilessly killed and plundered for gold and odd items that you don't actually need; but for some reason shopkeeps enjoy taking off your hands, as well as disgruntled, defeated bosses you've beaten to an inch of their life, now staring at you in confusion as you place the artifact they've guarded, and you've plundered, back on its pedestal.

As you return all the artifacts and make your way back to your home town, empty handed but feeling like a better human being, you finally encounter the true final boss of the game: the tutorial NPC that won't shut up about teaching you how to use items and attack. As your characters finally snap and beat him to death, the credits roll.

Belisarios

Literate
I dont think its like Tyranny its where evil won and some are happy with that. You are in state of war and good have just little options to do against it besides you some powerful PC.

My world should look like normal fantasy rpg for example Baldurs Gate or Drakensang or Neverwinter where good or normal systen is well established. You will often lose or dont achive success becouse of guards, powerful adventurers, cleric or mage orders ... propably punishing end like dead, hiding, execution or imprisonment would be good.

I know maybe adding options to do "good" deeds should be added but only with punishing you for it. To be it logical why you do evil and cooperate with some of the worst what world has to offer should be unability to just leave your masters in fear of execution or fear or something worse (like was reason for Xzar and Montaron to even cooperate).

To the topic evil is not interesting enough game will consist of minigames like traps puzzle or same arcade sequences when you try to break in houses. I have some ideas but just need to complete my lost and see what fit in.

I know if it will be even done and saled (i know very unlikely) it wont be for everyone.

For the reverse RPG yes very much what you have found many standart elements wont apply and quest will be resolved in way which is not expected.

daveyd

Savant
Do you have someone on your team who is a native English speaker or at least fluent in the English language? Assuming your game is going to have anything like a story, dialogue, text descriptions, words, that is probably one of the most important thing for an RPG.

Belisarios

Literate
Do you have someone on your team who is a native English speaker or at least fluent in the English language? Assuming your game is going to have anything like a story, dialogue, text descriptions, words, that is probably one of the most important thing for an RPG.

I have someone to correct it later yes. I know im not best for this job. I got ideas but english is not my top skill. I hope he will work with me otherwise i have problem.

Krice

Arcane
Developer
If it's a "basic" idea then it's not important. What is important is how you implement it and the gameplay as whole. If you only describe the idea of like any good RPG it probably doesn't sound anything special.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom