Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Funcom's The Park - yet another horror game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.theparkgame.com/

https://af.gog.com/game/the_park?as=1649904300

Amusement parks are happy places, filled with the innocent joys of childhood and the exhilarating rush of hair-raising, but safe adventure. Balloons, cotton candy and fantastic rides to be dared. Perhaps that is how Lorraine pictured it too when she brought her son Callum to one... just before it descended into the most terrifying nightmare of her life.

The Park is a single-player horror experience developed by Funcom, set against the backdrop of an amusement park where a dark and sinister secret is just waiting to be uncovered. It will be released for PC in October 2015.

Coming in October.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Nice teaser.
0F5.gif

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I always said that Funcom would be a great developer it they would make single player games instead of MMOs, but

The Park is a single-player horror experience developed by Funcom
this basicly says that the "game" will be a linear storyteller stuff, when you just wander around and you discover the story of the place. See Dear Esther or Gone Home.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Sure, it will be "explore the amusement park". It's a simple game put together to test the strength of The Secret World IP outside of the MMO fanbase (among various other things like new technologies, single player market etc.)

What should really interest the codex is that if this sells enough copies, I can convince my boss to let me make a Bloodlines inspired RPG in The Secret World setting.

Name

Cipher
Sure, it will be "explore the amusement park". It's a simple game put together to test the strength of The Secret World IP outside of the MMO fanbase (among various other things like new technologies, single player market etc.)

What should really interest the codex is that if this sells enough copies, I can convince my boss to let me make a Bloodlines inspired RPG in The Secret World setting.

I'm not holding my breath. If this turns out to be a great success, your boss will probably charge you to make the next true steps of Adventure game evolution: Telltale-clones.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I didn't play much TSW but when I've played Bloodlines it has felt a bit more grounded. Vampires are a little more "supernaturally human" than cthulhu-like monsters. To me that's key to capturing the bloodlines feeling. The charade.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Released it! Fastest dev cycle I have ever been involved in. :yeah:

Now go and play it if you like that sorta thing. And if not...carry on!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cheap: http://store.steampowered.com/app/402020/

Set in a creepy amusement park hiding a dark and sinister secret, The Park is a one to two hour long first-person psychological horror experience focusing on intense storytelling and exploration instead of combat and action.

A day at the park... a lost teddy bear... a missing child. As the sun sets over Atlantic Island Park, you must explore its dilapidated rides in search of your son, Callum. As darkness falls, you will experience panic and paranoia through a narrative written by a team of award winning storytellers.

Amusement parks are happy places, filled with the joys of childhood and the exhilarating rush of fantastic rides to be dared. That was the vision of eccentric business man Nathaniel Winter when he opened the doors to Atlantic Island Park in 1977.

Unfortunately, the park's history turned out to be one plagued by tragedy and drama. Its freak accidents, grotesque killings and ghostly hauntings have inspired many a sensational headline, and locals worry the park is far from done claiming innocent lives.

For Lorraine, it's where her worst nightmare began.

WARNING:This experience deals with subject matter that might prove emotionally distressing to some. Player discretion is advised.

• Explore Atlantic Island Park and step onto rides such as the Ferris Wheel, the Bumper Cars and the Rollercoaster; just beware, some of them have a life of their own
  • Enter the mind of Lorraine, a woman facing every parent's worst nightmare, and unravel her story as well as the dark and tragic history of the park
  • Call out for Callum to respond, and interact with the environment around you while examining clues and listening to Lorraine's own inner voice as the game progresses
  • Compelling graphics and audio deliver a uniquely atmospheric setting rich in mood and mystery, developed by a team of award-winning AAA developers

BONUS: The Park is inspired by a setting within the modern-day myths and mysteries MMO The Secret World. This copy of The Park includes unique in-game items that can be applied to one The Secret World account; the Killer Chipmunk outfit and three powerful, legendary talismans.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I suspected this would happen. Do you have to gather clues at least like in Gone Home? Or it is just literally a walk in the park like Dear Esther?

bylam

Funcom
Developer
It's a lot more Gone Home than Dear Esther. You pick up items and interact with stuff in the world - you can also ride all the rides.

It's not just walk while she talks (though it has sections where she talks)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope Regina Lund makes a comeback in this game

(Only for swedes that play the longest journey in swedish :))

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
It's a lot more Gone Home than Dear Esther. You pick up items and interact with stuff in the world - you can also ride all the rides.

It's not just walk while she talks (though it has sections where she talks)
That's OK. I like Gone Home.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

So we have to buy the poopy before the good stuff comes?
I haven't forgot about AoC yet - My character is still falling through the world and [Game Master] [LowPaidTechSupport] was fired long ago.

Dexter

Arcane
That's OK. I like Gone Home.
That's because you're a
cuck.png

Anyway:
- Does it have VR support? (this could probably improve the experience of that rollercoaster ride by about 200%)
- Do you find out that you've been a lesbian all along at the top of the rollercoaster through your emoshional journey?

Otherwise no :keepmymoney: and no 10/10 GOTY reviews.

Name

Cipher
Interesting, I really like The Secret World and want to support Funcom, but there are several turn-off for me:

(1)Time limited cross promotion with MMO: the epilogue to the story is said to be found in Holiday exclusive mission in MMO.

(2) Itemized cross promotion with MMO: dumping powerful in game items to buyers, instead of soothing the "end game" items progression.

(3) Walking simulator: I don't know what concept this game is trying to prove. If this begets us more walking simulators, I would rather not associated myself with this.

(4) Shit before Cake promotion on this thread.

Venser

Erudite
Oculus support? It would work well with it, rollercoasters and shit...

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Wot I Think: The Park

The Park [official site] is a short horror game, a spin-off from Funcom’s MMORPG The Secret World [official site]. For as long as people have been talking about the modern myths and conspiracies of The Secret World, there has been a desire for a singleplayer experience set among its mysteries and horrors. The Park will not satisfy that craving – it’s a brief visit to one small self-contained area of that world – but I found it be an oddly engaging experience, warts and all, and hope it’s the first in a library of singleplayer stories.

In 1971, the BBC began a short-lived (and recently revived) tradition of regularly broadcast ghost stories. Rather than landing in what might be considered the obvious season of the spooks, Halloween, this was a series of Ghost Stories For Christmas. There’s a grand history of December hauntings and as is often the case with our plagiarised festive occasions, we’ve separated the supernatural scares of Winter Solstice tales into their own costumed occasions of macabre merriment and overindulgence.

I’ve always enjoyed a good ghost story and while my favourite of the BBC run is still Whistle and I’ll Come To You, which was first broadcast in May rather than December, I wish there was more in the way of festive terror. In the cinema, you can always rely on a spate of (usually) terrible horror movies around Halloween but for games we’re often starved. Occasionally a release is timed to land around the end of October, but the week leading up to the 31st is usually marked by pumpkins ‘n’ candy in-game events or add-ons rather than new horrors.

This year, Funcom have stepped to the plate with precisely the kind of short, scary experience that I wish there were more of around this time of year. That’s not to say it’s a great game – and I’ll get into that in a moment – but I’d be delighted if large studios began a tradition of spending time and resources on smaller projects of this type. The Park may be far from perfect but if Funcom were to explore other corners of The Secret World’s backstories through similar short interactive tales of terror, I’d happily go along for the ride.

Having established that I am very much on board with this kind of short-form scare ‘em up, let’s get down to brass tacks. The Park tells the story of a young mother wandering through the deserted Atlantic Island theme park, searching for her lost son. It’s more walking simulator than jumpscare gauntlet, and you’ll be exploring and reflecting rather than running and hiding. Or rather, Lorraine, the player character, will be reflecting while you watch and listen.

This is very much Lorraine’s story and you’re along for the trip, hitch-hiking somewhere inside her brain and looking out through her eyes. Control is limited to walking, running and very occasionally interacting with an object in the world. There are letters and accident reports to read, as well as notes that provide information about the park and the surrounding area. Pressing the right mouse button makes Lorraine call for her son (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/press-x-to-jason sadly, I couldn’t help but think of pressing X to Jason), an act that also causes a bubble to emanate from interactive elements in the scenery.

For the majority of its running time (I clocked an hour and a half and am pretty sure I saw everything there is to see), The Park takes the form of a tour around the facilities. A smash-up on the Dodgems, a ride through the Tunnel of Tales, a whirl on the Octotron. Each ride takes the form of an on-rails setpiece, and they act as an opportunity for a quick scare as well as some monologuing from Lorraine. None of them are spectacular setpieces but I don’t think they’re intended to be – rather, they’re pieces of the puzzle that is the actual story, and I won’t be spoiling that.

What I will say is that this isn’t the kind of ghosts and goblins chiller that you’d read to the family around a roaring fire. There are bumps in the night, monsters and killers, but the scarred heart of the horror is that of a parent who has lost her child. That it takes at least half of the running time for The Park to concentrate all of its focus on the strongest aspects of its story means that the apparitions and detours of the first half feel somewhat inconsequential by the time you’re locked into the final circular series of hauntings.

The truth is that aspects of the earlier setpieces do filter through into the finale, but I was never convinced all of the build-up was necessary. Sure, strip away the actual rides and the already brief running time would be cut down even more dramatically, but The Park is at its best when it shakes off the park and finds a more fitting setting for its exploration of emotional terrain. It’s the kind of horror story that uses place as a metaphor for mind, but the theme park as a sort of pathetic fallacy never quite worked for me.

It’s a suitable place for scares, aye, but its connections to The Secret World seem more important than its connections to Lorraine and her son. If you were wondering how important a knowledge of Funcom’s modern mythology MMORPG is to your enjoyment of The Park, fear not. I got a kick out of seeing the locations rendered anew but this is a self-contained story. There are references for those in the know but missing out on their meaning won’t leave you confused.

And if you do play The Secret World, completing The Park will unlock a couple of bonus items, including a costume that seems somewhat in bad taste given how seriously this little slice of horror takes itself. That’s probably me just being a little oversensitive though and with good reason; for all my gripes, the final third of The Park did a number on me. It spooked me, upset me and made me want to call my mum.

There’s a lot to unpack in those final moments. Whether your tolerance for narrated on-rails sequences will pull you through to the bitter end, I can’t say. There’s a retelling of Hansel and Gretel that felt like it lasted longer than the entire game, and other than the Octotron, none of the rides actually gave me the shivers (I don’t even like looking at anything that resembles an octopus and there’s murky water underneath it and then UGH).

I’ll never play The Park again, not even to show a curious spectator. It’s a short journey but not eventful enough for a repeat trip. I’m glad I have played it though because I found the final destination troubling, and somewhat inventive in its environmental and textual breakdown. The entire game, appropriately – and perhaps intentionally – feels like a ghost train. You and Lorraine are spectators to horrors, taken on a guided journey from one to the next, stripped of agency.

For all of my complaints, I’d like to see more. More explorations of the weird places that we scrap, shoot and claw our way through as we play games. More short stories. More horror. If Funcom want to flesh out their Secret World with a few more side projects, I’ll be a the front of the queue, even if I’m not convinced I’ll enjoy the ride.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom