Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah I would play the shit out of that too.

Why in the hell hasn't anyone DONE a table top like cRPG before???

And if someone finally did, the Codex would throw buckets of cash at it...

Can you imagine that, plus say D:OS's interactive environments, a pathfinder open gl ruleset (if that isn't possible then 3.5E), and a module toolkit to make your own custom adventures? You'd never need to buy another RPG again.

IT IS HEVAN!!!!!11111!!

Mortmal

Arcane

Can you imagine that, plus say D:OS's interactive environments, a pathfinder open gl ruleset (if that isn't possible then 3.5E), and a module toolkit to make your own custom adventures? You'd never need to buy another RPG again.

Oh yes and imagine if larian could get hold of D&D license , the first tileset would be dragonlance . This doesnt seems impossible anymore.

Dorateen

Arcane
I would echo the sentiments about a boardgame style cRPG. (Although in the above example, need to double the party size.) But to be fair, it is a matter of artistic vision. So in other words, people want a visual display of what looks like an actual boardgame.

I've always viewed the tactical maps of the Gold Box games, or even the Realms of Arkania series, as coming from this heritage, emulating the movement of pieces or miniatures in battle.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was interested in the RPG but don't really feel a need to support a guy so thin skinned he resorts to threats and thread locking over a tiny bruise like that.

Lhynn

Arcane
I was interested in the RPG but don't really feel a need to support a guy so thin skinned he resorts to threats and thread locking over a tiny bruise like that.
who gives a shit about who makes the game? as long as its good.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Hmm, i wasn't following this for quite a while. So he really decided to go token based... I thought it was just the initial idea a couple of years ago and he had changed his mind quickly. Apparently not.

At least he has the right idea about implementing the enchaments. But his "vector of vectors" sounds amateurish to be honest.

In general, if you think of a game like this, doing it alone and... and cannot into art, this is the only design that is efficient enough. Code complex AI and D20 rules (and they are complex, believe me), leave graphics handling simple and basic. This is what a single coder should do. In the end it's about D20 rules and their simulation. Graphics would be great, but it's just not realistic, if you don't want to spend 5-10 years.

Still, Pierre is a Bro for making a good RPG in those years of decline. It is an awesome game. One of the few games i played more than 3 times.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
"Single-guy" is not a valid excuse... the guy did KotC (that looked better than this already) and would have a decent budget if he didn't hate money. Besides, we had this same chat years ago when Charles-cgr first released Sword & Sorcery - Underworld:

WnYiu.jpg

And now Charles is a plutocrat, surrounded by wealth, fame and woman. :obviously:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
who gives a shit about who makes the game? as long as its good.

Don't care about who he is as a person so much, just how he acts towards customers. He can be faking it as long as he lives up to the ideals of customer service.

Thinly veiled threats and censorship is EA behavior.

almondblight

Arcane
The most ironic thing about all this is how the guy even wrote some fucking book on economics, and then he fails SO FUCKING HARD at anything that has to do with efficient economic behaviour.

That's not ironic at all. He wrote a book on libertarian economics.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

What about Fallout?

It has textbox that simulates a narrator, isometric view emulates table with miniatures.

Vulcris

Novice
I would echo the sentiments about a boardgame style cRPG. (Although in the above example, need to double the party size.) But to be fair, it is a matter of artistic vision. So in other words, people want a visual display of what looks like an actual boardgame.

I've always viewed the tactical maps of the Gold Box games, or even the Realms of Arkania series, as coming from this heritage, emulating the movement of pieces or miniatures in battle.

Yeah, that's also like I've always seen Might and Magic III, IV, V and even X. The tile based movement, the loot, the return to town between two dungeons, I've always seen these game as an open dungeon board game. That's why I was surprised by the complaints about the movement in Legacy, it's not suposed to be immersive but looks and feels like you're playing a game and that's a perfect valid design choice.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

What about Fallout?

It has textbox that simulates a narrator, isometric view emulates table with miniatures.

You are missing the context of the image I was responding too:

I don't know if its just me, but I would pay good money for a game like this that was a true turn-based rpg; perhaps overland travel map with a small icon to represent your party, static screens for towns, choose-your-own text galore, and the above view for turn-based battles.

The screenshot above just looks impossibly cool.

catfood

AGAIN

Oh yes and imagine if larian could get hold of D&D license , the first tileset would be dragonlance . This doesnt seems impossible anymore.
Larian can always use the OGL if they really wanted to make a D&D-like game. But I don't think they're interested in doing it,

Sodafish

Arcane

I don't know if its just me, but I would pay good money for a game like this that was a true turn-based rpg; perhaps overland travel map with a small icon to represent your party, static screens for towns, choose-your-own text galore, and the above view for turn-based battles.

The screenshot above just looks impossibly cool.

What is this from?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It actually really reminded me of Metal Gear AC!D.
Except with RPG instead of stealth. It's free, give it a shot.

Darkion

Augur

... after mercilessly criticizing it in a thousand page thread, because the Codex gotta Codex.

:fight:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What happened to "ToEE-like graphics"? KoTC looked way sweeter than this. Oh well, let's hope,it plays well!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I think back then he showed us an example (some indie game he tried or something) . Considering the last single player DnD cRPG was NWN2 from 2006, it's obvious an entire market -good for selling a few million copies - is pretty starved for quite a long time. The number 1 reason for him not selling that much is the graphics, as I think a lot of people would put up with only 3 classes and a simplistic story if the graphics were on ToEE level. So aiming for that makes sense. At some point he then realized that for ToEE-lvl graphics you actually need an artist who's capable of creating those and a lot of man-hours of said artist(s).
I file all this under not being able to accurately and objectively assess your own capabilities.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I still don't understand why he can't use KotC assets. I am very, very fine with KotC level graphics. In fact as a total package KotC was one of the least clunkiest tactical games I've ever played. Hotkeys were clearly listed during gameplay without needing to open another window, yet they didn't interfere with the battlefield. Sprites were clear and distinct so that you could tell what unit is what at a glance. I never made a movement error because you moved square by square, yet movement wasn't tedious.

Get rid of the crafting system, put in more classes, and you'd have KotC 2.

Meh.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I think back then he showed us an example (some indie game he tried or something) . Considering the last single player DnD cRPG was NWN2 from 2006, it's obvious an entire market -good for selling a few million copies - is pretty starved for quite a long time. The number 1 reason for him not selling that much is the graphics, as I think a lot of people would put up with only 3 classes and a simplistic story if the graphics were on ToEE level. So aiming for that makes sense. At some point he then realized that for ToEE-lvl graphics you actually need an artist who's capable of creating those and a lot of man-hours of said artist(s).
I file all this under not being able to accurately and objectively assess your own capabilities.

No, the number one reason for him not selling that much is his pointless reticence to sell at a lower price in volume through GoG or Steam. This is also the same reason why he can;t produce proper graphics in KoTC2: His pointless reticence to generate cash flow to support it, by doing the above or by Kickstarting his project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom