Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So... any news? Someone who is in the inner circle can tell if he posted some interesting updates in the past few months?
I think someone around here mentioned they have access to his forum and that he has updated it a bunch of times the last several months (sorry, I don't remember who or where). It appears he is definitely devoting a lot of time on it so one can only hope it gets completed.

Alright, thanks. Crossing my fingers :?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Scrooge
From News and Feedback thread
Since this update he's provided 6 more updates, so about one every two months, and the last one from June. Seems like he's serious about getting this made, at his own but consistent pace.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Here's a leaked character creation screen:

42.jpg

DefJam101

Arcane
Don't really care at all about graphical quality so long as the game flow is as buttery smooth as KotC. Everything else is secondary.

ColCol

Arcane
Yeah, I wonder what happened with "Something approaching the graphic quality of Temple of Elemental Evil"...

Who would think an insane person would make faulty promises. I'm good if it just looks exactly like the first one.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Since there's an entry for "token" graphics, I guess it won't use the "help the world is slanted I'm falling at a 45 degree angle!" camera view anymore.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Uh guys, the actual game art is out for months, I posted it on this thread even, back in februrary:

33.jpg

That's how the game will look, like paper tiles.

buzz

Arcane
Are you sure that's not some placeholder art though? This looks more like the iceblink engine (I mean the editor) than the proper game. Which I suppose is the point.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Amidst all this Pierre hate, let's not forget that KotC is one of the best D&D games ever made. The wonderful flow of party combat it presented is still amazing, amidst all this RPG drought.

It doesn't surprise me the creator may have some weird opinions. A lot of creative prople have those, somehow more-so when it comes to creators of great cRPG's. We should know that, with all the Cleve love going around here.
Cleve is now the creator of "great RPGs"? 'K...

Squares...again he uses squares *grrrr*
And I bet "reach" will not be included. Again...
I'm fine with tokens, but they could look a little nicer. As is many roguelikes look better...
Will it at least have multi-classing this time around? (I think not, IIRC, but I'm too lazing to re-read the thread...)

ColCol

Arcane
Uh guys, the actual game art is out for months, I posted it on this thread even, back in februrary:

That's how the game will look, like paper tiles.

Are you serious? This is not place holder art? Fuck, Pierre really does hate making money. Dumb fuck.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I can live with it too but seriously this looks way worse than KotC 1 and has absolutely no atmosphere. Maybe it's just me.
Yup, I agree. He could at least done something like Card Hunter:

Battle-Screen-150910.jpg

The way it is, looks more like a RPG GM tool than an actual game...

Are you serious? This is not place holder art? Fuck, Pierre really does hate making money. Dumb fuck.
Funny thing, he actually was wiser 5 years ago:

Pierre said:
it's probably worth trying to get graphics closer to TOEE or Eschalon in order to widen the audience.

Don't know why he changed... maybe lack of money?

Dorateen

Arcane
The whole Fantasy World Engine is because he is interested in making more of a module/construction kit type experience. For a while, it's been indicated on the forums that this would not be a visual successor to Knights of the Chalice, but going in a different design direction. KotC2 in its current state of development will be more of a board game, table-top simulation rather than a typical cRPG.

People should adjust their expectations accordingly.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
As long as the maps/tokens are done well it can still have plenty of atmosphere. The problem with the screenshot is that it's a featureless room with 3 of the same very bland enemy. Replace it with something fleshed out and it'd be pretty cool imo. Whether or not he'll eventually do that is another question, but we can't draw a lot of conclusions from what is clearly just a test setup.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom