Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fucking ToEE, how does it work

CreamyBlood

Arcane

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure if I should put this in the Skyway thread or the DD5 one.

I played and owned the AD&D (1st Ed) books and we knew them inside and out (we didn't know it was called 1st Ed back then). I think that was the last time I played it so when BG2 and then NWN came out, it was so confusing. All of these feats, skill checks and reversing the CA. But I adapted. I have ToEE installed and plan on getting into it soon but now I'm playing an MMO, called DDO. Damn is it fun.

Honestly, this comic after watching it straight for almost 200 issues (600 to go) has shown me more about how it works then any of the video games. I think it's great. Huge fun. Spot checks, search checks, spells, this comic strip sort of nails it, doesn't it?

Ahh well. I guess I'll have my day in the sun with Hommlet one day. I used to own the module. Thanks to this massively long comic strip campgain, I might have a better idea of what to level up on my wizard when I get to seventh level.

Well I for one rather enjoy order of the stick as well, though it's updated a bit slow at times perhaps.

Now a for a stupid question. How do I scribe a spell scroll to my wizards spell book? M:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Currently cleaning up Dungeon 3 level and as I understand I'm close to an end.

ToEE is a mixed bag.
On one hand you have several badly designed encounters that annoy instead of providing the challenge, crappy balance (it's easier to simply give yourself lvl2 from the start of the game to avoid grinding), rushed game world (I haven't found a single trap in the game that wasn't on the chest, there are many barrels, wardrobes, lockers, boxes but they are all just an eye-candy), temple often feels like a bunch of disconnected rooms full of random but exclusive monsters (enter 1 room - only werewolves, enter the next one - and you get attacked only by spiders) and bugbears, bugbears, bugbears, bugbears, bugbears.

On the other hand it has an outstanding implementation of D&D 3.5 with a playerbook fully present in the game that provides a great help, great (although sometimes repetitive) PnP combat, crappy story doesn't get in the way of dungeon crawling and the dungeon crawling part is good overall. Superior to the vast majority of shitty '80s dungeon crawls "hardkkkore" codexers pretend to love so much as well as to any shitty shooter called RPG today - which is actually the reason I finally can play it today - since it shines compared to so much crap.

In the end it makes me want to replay it some time in the future to try out the new party (like barb, druid, sorc, cler, rogue) and see how it plays then, maybe join the temple.

But I have a question - is the new Co8 content worth it? How does it compare to vanilla? Visually and gameplay wise. From what I've seen they tried to recreate the same style (which also meant they reused assets unfortunately) and writing seems to be rather bad - but I want more show.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
But I have a question - is the new Co8 content worth it? How does it compare to vanilla? Visually and gameplay wise. From what I've seen they tried to recreate the same style (which also meant they reused assets unfortunately) and writing seems to be rather bad - but I want more show.

More show?

Anyway, I'd highly recommend it. It's got some very tough fights (though I can think of two that will annoy you if you don't like the "there are zombies at the end of this secret passage" encounter design in vanilla), which really push your tactical abilities with the engine. They will give your characters enough XP and high levelled loot that the OC will be a cakewalk, unless they've changed a lot in this most recent version. On the other hand, they offer dungeon crawl alternatives to Hommlet and plenty of experience well earned for those tempted to random encounter grind in Vanilla.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ToEE is fantastic as a PnP session (With a great DM). It really translates badly as a video game (story wise and encounter wise). Troika did a fucking fantastic job as the single best game of all time with the best D&D 3.5 ED turn based setting. The story and setting, not so much.

The FRUA version of ToEE is actually marginally better in some ways.

MetalCraze

Arcane
From what I understood Hommlet is supposed to be this creepy village where at first everything is so friendly and happy and then it turns out that there's some sick shit is going on.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I pretty much agree with your entire summation Skyway. If only the engine were capable of supporting multiple modules similar to how NWN worked, we could have an all-around good RPG.

So how do I get back up from Dungeon level 2? I went down the stairs from Dungeon level 1, but there are none back up, at least that I can find.

ett.jpg

This is the place in question where I came down earlier. So, how do I gtfo from this place?

deuxhero

Arcane
Ah the only one way passage in the game to my memory. There are a few exits you can take. I think the safest is actually to find the hidden exit.

take the hidden passage in the south west of that room (you can see it open in the lower right corner), walk down the hallway, saving at every fork and loading if you get into a fight (take the other path then). A long way in there should be a manhole that is obvious in a circular dead end room. Search it (or see it automaticly with decent spot) and go out the transition to the west. Go west again (ladder=suicide) and you are home free.

There may have been a fight along that path, but I forget and don't think so. If you have a ring of invisibility (or invisibility as a spell), give it to someone with good search/spot and get to the manhole, the rest of your party warps after use.

edit: Oh look! We have no spoiler tags!

Joghurt

Augur
Go South there is a long horizontal corridor that has the stairs that lead up to dungeon lvl 1 on both sides of it (east and west side)

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Goddamn I wish more games would have been made with this engine. Does anyone know who has the rights to it? Aren't most of the 3.5 rules OGL stuff anyway?

Cassidy

Arcane
Wait, so you die every 5 meters when playing Dark Souls? Man, no wonder you think ToEE is hard. :p

Wait, do you have a PS3 too besides your Xbawks360 skyway?

:decline:

I didn't found Lareth too difficult, but I ended having to risk resting inside the moathouse and save scum to avoid ambushes so that they could get to full health, because facing that ambush with all spells depleted and most characters at very low HP is impossible.

Thanks guys your advice was most useful, seriously it's always in the last place your look, had gone through pretty much the entire level previously. I was literally down to my last spell and with a party with very low Hp before I got there. Have to say it's a nice touch being trapped like that every once in a while as it forces one to do the utmost with the available resources when one doesn't know how long they need to last. Concerning level design perhaps it would have been better if the decent down wasn't graphically represented by an quite elaborate spiral staircase if it's only a one way path since it indicates a two way passage, and instead say a hole to jump down through.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fuck I need to replay this game.

Also, ToEE temple-environments can be so fucking gorgeous.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Well, Co8 has the drawback of completely breaking the original story's balance. I'd still go with Co8, even for my first playthrough, but it's not perfect...

MetalCraze

Arcane
I've never encountered the legendary Cloud's sword with Co8 7 and I'm half through dungeon 4

Found Fagharn two-handed bastard sword that is +8 against evil shit and never misses though

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
skyway:

Leave off it, somebody's going to believe you retards and not play the game with the Co8 content.

Q: What's this I heard about Cloud's Sword from FF7 / Sword of Life Stealing?

A: There is a hidden item called 'Sword of Life Stealing'. It's a +2 sword that drains a level on a critical hit and gives you 1d6 temporary HP. It's only available via console (type give 4154), and it was there in the vanilla game files.

The life-stealing property is bugged - it will insta-kill any monster without actual character levels (most non-human monsters are such) on a critical hit. Monsters with regeneration ability (such as Trolls) will cause further problems, too.

The Sword's model indeed looks like Cloud's sword from Final Fantasy.

Co8 has created the Guillotine Blade, which used the same model but was otherwise a regular greatsword (without the bugged Lifestealing property). It used to be available for purchase on the beginning shopmap, and was wielded by some critters in Verbobonc. It has since been removed from the game and can only be obtained via console.

Ref:
http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.ph...0&postcount=13

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom